Thread: Bicycle trailers on DC001 hunt...pros/cons and best types

Default Bicycle trailers on DC001 hunt...pros/cons and best types

My buddy drew the DC001 Caribou Tag so I've started reading up on the hunt because I promised to help scout and hopefully a pack mule. I read a couple threads on it and people are using bikes to hit the Res Trail and it mentioned using BOBs. I wanted to start a thread on using bike trailers as meat/gear haulers. What are the pros and cons? Single track .vs double wheels, load capacity, home made versions. basically every question you can think of for this topic. I have a Kona Big Dawg that I'll be hooking it to if that helps. I posted a pic in the pic thread.

I'm a visual learner too, so if you have pics of your setup, please post them.

Thanks,
    -Grizz
    "What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? --Jack Handy

I think that it would be helpful on that hunt. Last year I hauled one of those game carts in from the Hope side. If I had connected it would have made the trip down the trail better. You for sure will not be able to get back into the area the bou hang out and I would guess you would still be looking at a 5 mile or so hike to get back into where you ought to be hunting. Probably require two trips from the kill to the trail and then one full load out to the trail head. The trail is nice for wheels unless it has been raining a lot and then there are some pretty muddy patches.

I think I read your posts on another thread. Seems like a good idea if I can make a couple trips to the bike, then take it all out in one trip from there. I have zero experience with the trailers and did a quick Google and saw there are several types. So I'm looking for some suggestions/tips from those that use them.
    "What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? --Jack Handy

I have seen a few people use bob trailers on that trail and it seems like they do pretty good. I think the trail after Caribou Cr starts to narrow and may not be as good for the bike. I know a coupe people on this forum have been successful doing the hunt in the way that you are describing. With two guys you might be able to get it out in one trip down. I was hunting with my preggo wife so I was planning on taking things down in a leap frog style.

The entire Resurrection Trail is good for bikes most of the time, but if it rains a bit, it will get muddy. If you are looking at using a trailer, go with single wheeled options. Anything with two wheels side by side (like the kid carriers like the Chariot) will be difficult. There are a lot of sections of that trail that are plenty wide overall, but there is a significant "rut" that essentially makes it single-track for wheeled things like bikes.

One thing to keep in mind, bring spare parts (tubes mostly) for both wheel sizes since most trailers aren't using the same size wheels as the bike you are riding. Note the type of valve on the tubes to make sure you have a pump that will fit it since a lot of smaller tires will still be running the older style schrader valves and most bikes now utilize the presta valves.

Costco on Dimond is carrying a bike gear trailer right now. I posted a picture and some info in the outdoor gear forum.

On a wide well maintained trail with minimal rutting I take the two wheeled cart below. It should bring in a useful amount of camping gear and bring out a partially boned caribou in one trip.

Another angle

It's a DIY Cargo trailer from Wike Bike ( Do a google) 129.00 + some aluminum square tubing, plywood and an afternoon. It will carry 150 pounds but I have had 280 on it with no issues over a short haul. On rutted roads the two wheels can be a problem as it won't stay at the same angle as the bike. I kept this one long and narrow but it's still too wide for some single track. For carrying a heavy load on a decent trail it's very good.

I also have a BOB trailer. It's way more fun. Easier to ride with, goes most places a bike will without catching on stuff but carries less than half as much as the above trailer in weight and about 25% in bulk. Two guys with BOB's and good racks could carry light camping gear and have the capacity to haul out 1 caribou. 1 guy would likely need two trips minimum, even with a good set of racks, unless you wanted to walk it out on the bike. That is my best guess but I haven't done it yet. Just bought a Pugsley with front and rear racks and with a BOB and with a combination of riding and pushing I am thinking I could squeeze some bivouac gear and a de-boned caribou home in one trip. Having to put so much weight on the bike makes me nervous on the rough stuff... so I'd need to get off and push sometimes.

My two helpers above sometimes come with me but they don't do too much heavy lifting yet.