Thread: Self-Defense Shooting- legal representation

Default Self-Defense Shooting- legal representation

Was looking at meeting with a lawyer(s) concerning any future representation if involved in a self-defense shooting. I am a USCCA member and ACLDN member. I wanted to know if anyone here had any feedback or knowledge on any of these lawfirms/lawyers:

Dan Allan & Associates
    Dattan, Scott, & Dattanhttp://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=62
    James Christie
    Philip ShanahanRobert HerzT. Burke Wonnell
    Wayne Ross (I know this is an experienced lawyer with a big Alaska & NRA history)
    Thanks for any info you can provide.

I would be cautious, can this be used against you! They may say premeditated if your planning to meet with a lawyer just incase you are involved in a self defense shooting. Kind of seems like you may be expecting it.

Quote Originally Posted by bowhunternak View Post
    I would be cautious, can this be used against you! They may say premeditated if your planning to meet with a lawyer just incase you are involved in a self defense shooting. Kind of seems like you may be expecting it.
    I understand your point and it is one that is brought up by some. But...it is something that is suggested by most "experts" in firearms carry law (not lawyers). It goes along with receiving training. If you attend a handgun class every year, one might say you are training yourself to be a "lethal killing machine". No, you are taking your responsibility of carrying a firearm seriously. When you shoot someone outside of your home because your life was threatened and it's 9 pm on a Sunday of a 3 day holiday, you are likely going to jail overnight (depending on the circumstances). Having a lawyer that you have met, think they are genuine, talked to, have read/received recommendations on, is much better than having you or your wife look in the yellow pages for a "criminal defense attorney". You may not be happy with your first choice. Doing all that after a self-defense shooting where there might have been a fatality is one more stress in an already ridiculously stressful situation.

And in regards to "expecting it". Yes, that is why I carry. If there wasn't any possibility of "expecting it", there would be no need to carry.

I realized that list was messed up from the initial thread:

Dan Allan & Associates
    Dattan, Scott, & Dattanhttp
    James Christie
    Philip Shanahan
    Robert Herz

T. Burke Wonnell
    Wayne Ross (I know this is an experienced lawyer with a big Alaska & NRA history)
    Last edited by hre814; 02-20-2012 at 16:38. Reason: info

You can put an attorney on retainer for any number of things...not so sure for a self defense shooting is that good of an idea.

Most firms will do consultations for some matter of civil or probate law (wills, trusts, incorporations, etc) allowing you to develop a relationship with the firm that doesn't involve gunfire and vastly simplifying things should gunfire occur.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Correct. Yes, this would be for consultation to develop a relationship, understand how the process works from a lawyer who has been there before, etc. Someone who you have seen and met before in person, someone who understands you may call them sometime in the future should something happen. This is not to put an attorney on retainer.

I have used the last two (Burke Wonnell and Wayne Ross) on other matters and other than being what I can best describe as eccentric and next to imposable to contact at 9 pm on a Sunday of a 3 day holiday they are very good attorneys. I doubt you find any attorneys in Alaska that are easy tracked down in off hours so you may as well plan on sitting in the clink till Monday. But I agree it would be best to have an attorneys you know so you have a name when you evoke your right to see an attorney before answering questions. The best bet is to have a friend that just happens to be an attorney so you know where to find them in off hours.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

It would be MUCH appreciated if anyone here does contact an attorney here in AK to report the experience here.

With AK being a Castle Doctrine State, this seems a lot of effort for little real gain. The chances of you finding yourself locked up for a SD shooting are pretty slim when considering the victims protection under the rules pertaining to the Castle Doctrine.

I took a self defense course a few years back and when the lawyer spoke one of the first things he said was (a) unlike on TV I pretty much work 9:00am to 5:00pm and (b) court systems a little less so there ain't no way your getting out of a cell in much under 12 hours any day of the week!

This is the wrong forum: too many sheeple here.

1. If you carry, you expect to use it. You don't want to, but you expect a bad situation to happen, so you carry.

2. The insinuation that having an attorney on retainer is premeditation is totally assinine. Read No. 1 above.

3. Yes, get an attorney, talk to them, get their number on speedial. Also make sure you can contact the attorney through their answering service AT ANY TIME in the event of an emergency.

4. NEVER talk to the cops. EVER. Your attorney will tell you this. Sheeple will tell you otherwise because they are sheeple. If you ever have to use your firearm in self defense, call your attorney first, then call the cops. Dispatchers will keep your phone line open and will not disconnect, so call the attorney first to tell what happened and receive his/her instructions.

You have an excellent grasp of the basics. Get your training, practice, practice, and practice some more. et yourself into the mindset that you will not be the victim. Criminals will be able to see you a mile away and will avoid you. They are predators and can recognize a wolf in their midst. They'll go after a sheep.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by b79holmes View Post
    I took a self defense course a few years back and when the lawyer spoke one of the first things he said was (a) unlike on TV I pretty much work 9:00am to 5:00pm and (b) court systems a little less so there ain't no way your getting out of a cell in much under 12 hours any day of the week!
    BS. If you have money on you you can bail within 20 minutes. If you have someone who can throw you bail it only takes the time for them to get to the jail and the paperwork, total about 45 minutes.

Any good attorney is like a doctor, they'll be available through their answering service after hours. They'll be the first line of defense in keeping you out of jail. First line of defense is to KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT.

When you call the cops you tell them "there has been a shooting at (give location), tell them to send ambulance, tell them "I am unarmed" (repeat this many times, also, tell the dispatcher to please let you hear them tell the cops responding), tell them what you are wearing, have your drivers license in you hand, and your hands in the air when the fist cops pull up. Tell the dispatcher "it was self defense". THIS IS ALL YOU SAY. You will say nothing more, not even give your name to the cops, just hand them your ADL. Keep the mouth shut. Period. Wait for your attorney to arrive and do the talking.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

You could say: He was coming at me with a hammer (2x4, knife, anything around without your finger prints on it.) so in fear of my life (family) I had to shoot him.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

You should state that you are/were in fear for your life.

Either get a hold of Massad Ayoob or read his books. He is one of the best in the business.

http://massadayoobgroup.com/

Don't take advice from internet dimestore cowboys, or as we called them, sea-lawyers. If you have a reason for fearing prosecution for a defensive use of your gun, call someone like Mass. He'll give you no kidding real world advice. I do, however, agree with Nitroman. Never talk to the police without an attorney; it is just common sense. In jail for a few hours? Uh, no. They'll arrest you on Friday to let you sit till Monday when the judge comes back on duty to determine bail $.