Thread: 20A Moose Hunting, is the first week of Sept. too early?

Default 20A Moose Hunting, is the first week of Sept. too early?

I drew an any bull tag for 20A Central Mountains and can only go the first week of September. I have hunted this area several times in the past but always the last week of the season. The area I am going normally has high moose density so I am hoping even if they are not yet calling I will still be OK, especially with an any bull tag.

Just looking for any advice, pros/cons of hunting the first week of the season vs. closer to the rut in the last ten days of the season??? I know weather is a huge factor year to year but looking for general information on what to expect between the first week and the last week in terms of bugs, vegetation, and moose activity in that region.

This is my first post after many years viewing, a sincere thanks for all the past information this forum has provided and thanks in advance for any advice on this question.

I have not hunted there yet but if you review the harvest in 20a by week it all looks good. It varies by year but overall no week stands out. Well, maybe the first week a little, but it only makes sense because many will hunt the first few days.

Good luck!

Thanks DonV I looked up the harvest data and it looks like while some bulls are taken in the first week of the season, most are taken in the ladder half. I am sure this has a lot to do with when people plan their hunts, etc...as most would prefer the final week to ten days and thus more bulls are harvested then. That is really when I want to go but cannot. I am more worried about it being too warm and the bulls not responding to calls, not being on their feet, etc...Thanks again for the reply. Hope to hear from someone who can tell me just how much that country typically changes throughout September, ie: weather, vegetation, bugs and moose movement.

if it was me, and i had that tag, id be there day 1

We had had great and not so great luck in the 20A area on early moose season. The year before last we went up on August 25th due to us having a Cow tag. That was the earliest I have been there. My observations that will effect you is the early season you can get into some terribly warm days. One year we had to pack that LARGE moose out 8 miles in 80+ degree weather. If you dont plan accordingly this can cause some obvious problems for your hunt. The other thing I noticed when I was there on the 25th, is some moose are still in velvet. That make it much harder to spot the moose from our vantage point. Those later days when the velvet is freshly dropped those paddles are much easier to spot.
    Generally we prefer to hunt on Sept 10th.
    Atleast in the 20A area.

Two years ago, I was driving down the parks hwy to hunt 20A and noticed a moose a few hundred yards off the road. Pulled over and glassed him. Turned out to be a 3 pt bull about 40-45" wide. His antlers were yellow-reddish from just shedding velvet and that was on Sep 2nd, and yeah, I was antsy to ring him up, but couldn't see him as close to legal. I don't know if younger bulls shed velvet first, or if the big boys do, but if you hunt from Sep 1 - 7th, you should have plenty of opportunity to see a bull, whether it be a spike-fork or a monster.

As has been pointed-out, coolers with ice may be the ticket to saving meat in early season weather -- it can be hot . . .