Thread: Advice about travelling the ALCAN in early May?

Default Advice about travelling the ALCAN in early May?

A question for experienced Alcan travellers: What are the road conditions, generally speaking, in early May? We will be travelling down the ALCAN, starting in Fairbanks, and ending our journey in Texas, in a 2 wheel drive vehicle with Blizzaks. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I have done the drive in early October, with no problems, but I'm concerned about the break-up. Thank you in advance!

We came up in early May back in 1994. No problems with the road. My 79 Bronco and the trailer - well that's a different story!

We travel every year in early May. Some years all is well, but have encountered 2 snow events in the last 6 years in the area between Watson Lake and Ft Nelson, especially Summit Lake. If you travel in daylight hours, it is park and await the snow plow. Otherwise, the road is generally good. Some frost damage, some lodges not open, but the road is good.

Don't be in a hurry, expect delays for road construction and you'll be contending with sections of gravel road with frost heaves, pot holes and washboard.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

This year a lot will depend on the snow pack/avalanche areas you have a lot of time to find a set of chains if you think you need them. I would rather wait for the plow or other vehicles than blaze trail just because I have chains on. Carry a tow strap.
    I used to drive to Anch. from Homer weekly and I always worried if I did'nt see any incomming traffic for 1/2 hour or so. A lot of times it was an accident or construction delays. You will really know when all of a sudden 20 car/trucks come along. You will be stopping next.
    Plenty of daylight that time of year and always ask the guy filling up his truck next to you how road was .