Thread: DM743 Intel??

Default DM743 Intel??

Greetings all!

You guys helped me out with a succesful Adak caribou hunt, so I coming back again for more "words of wisdom".

I am currently deployed and recently found out that I and my sons were furtunate enough to get some tags for an early moose hunt in DM743. After being deployed and away from the family, I cannot think of a better family get-together than spending time with my two boys in the alaskan wilderness moose hunting!! I get goose bumps anticipating/thinking about it! But I digress....

Unfortunately, my deployment may get extended into July - so time will be short when I get back and I will have limited time to do much scouting. My unscheduled deployment did not allow for me to scout the area before I left. Compouding things somewhat, my folks want to come up from the lower 48 to fish - so they will place some demands on my time (but I am happy they are coming!). From a logistic stand point, can some folks who have hunted the area give me some pointers and/or advice? What is the best way to get back there?

I own two four wheelers and a gator and I have access to boats if needed. I do not have access to my maps here, but I thought there was a trail to DM743. I wil be on the internet getting as many sat pics as I can.

As always, I appreciate any help.!

Besides posting the hunt number it helps to post the area otherwise it forces folks to go look things up. These small area cow hunts are all over the place up there.

There are trails to cabins up the middle fork of the chena as well as rec trails. Most are winter trails.
    for planning. For a mid august hunt I would focus on using a canoe or raft to get up the valley on the river and then hunt the side sloughs.

here is a hiking blog that covers the chena rec area, lots of winter stuff, but they did som pack rafting in you area. great info to use for planning.
    http://yak.spruceboy.net/labels/chen...ec_area/page/2

and this is another pack rafting blogger
    http://edplumb.blogspot.com/2010/05/...ena-river.html

AK Ray,

Thanks - I do not want to make it difficult for folks to assist me. Here is the link to the DM743 - it is unit 20B.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/hu.../pdf/dm743.pdf

Thanks for the two blogs!

I did a lot of research on this area last year but ended up having a son during that time so I didnt go. There is a runway out there about 40 miles give or take back from the road called "Van Curlers Bar". If you look that up I believe it will give you GPS cords. I was going to fly out there and float back to the road where my truck would be. I have no idea how private the runway is, so I would just call pilots up in fairbanks and they should point you in the right direction. Hope this helps and have a safe trip back from your deployment. God Bless Our Troops.

Jojo,

I found the runway on the internet - it is a ways up stream. I wonder how many days I would need to budget for a hunt float?

I was planning on 7-10 with a lot more hunting than floating. But people were telling me it could be done in 3-5 if you floated more than hunted. If you are interested in floating this river, you can post the same question on alaska float hunting forum. You will find tons of info about this river on there and how to float it. A buddy of mine has a buddy fly him into that strip and hunts around that area. He says there are a couple of people every year that float down that river doing this exact technique. I also know that jet boats can make it up from the road a litlle over ten miles, so I was going to do most of my hunting more toward the landing strip than the road. But you must remember float hunting is a totally different animal, than other ways of hunting. Hope this helps and good luck, please let me know if you have any more questions.

Joe.