Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 45

Thread: Is modifying a Mosin Nagant worth the money?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Fairbanks, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    22

    Default Is modifying a Mosin Nagant worth the money?

    I recently purchased a Mosin Nagant for 75 dollars. This rifle fires nicely and adequately. The problem lies in that I would like to have a rear mounted scope installed and I would also like to change the bolt to something more compatible with a rear mounted scope. Has anyone here done something like this? I tried to call Doug, but failed to get through. I am looking for a ball park price on what this would cost me. I know that there are better rifles out there, but I really like this piece of history and I just want to make it a functional piece of my collection. Additionaly, sometime in this weapons history, someone attempted to blue the barrel or something and it has a big black spot of some sort of glossy substance. It does not cover the whole barrel. Any idea how to fix this or who could fix it for me? Thanks for the help!

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    wasilla
    Posts
    788

    Default

    I am not a gun smith but i would think it will cost a lot more than the weapon is worth. If you like it as a history piece why not leave as such and take it out once in a while and shoot it, clean it and put it back in the safe. It would be interesting to find out just how much it will cost to do what you are wanting done though

    Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

  3. #3
    Member .338-06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,045

    Default

    First off, if you're shooting guns you are not collecting them for later resale value. So, the 'value' you need to consider is the rifle's value to you. Certainly Mosin-Nagants have been scoped. Try here; http://www.atigunstocks.com/17-mosin-nagant . I think this is an ugly solution, but that's just my opinion.

    And it sounds like you want to refinish your rifle. Your $75 rifle might end up being a $275 rifle before you're done. You won't be alone, I have a $125 Mauser that's up to $425 so far!
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

  4. #4
    Member walk-in's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    771

    Default

    In the interest of full disclosure, I have to start by saying that I am not a Mosin fan. I have never understood why anyone would buy one when there are so many Mausers available. No matter how much you polish a turd, its still a turd.

    Having said that, I have to agree with .338-06. Value is subjective. I've certainly poured more money into Mausers than they are "worth." They were worth it to me, though. Do whatever you want to do to it to make it into what will make you happy. Screw what anybody else thinks.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Fairbanks, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    22

    Default

    Walk-in, I appreciate your thoughts. I would probably buy a Mauser if the chance appeared. The Mosin purchase was an impulse buy that I have had some fun researching. If modifying this rifle is going to cost me 500 dollars I am probably not going to pursue it. It is only worth what someone will pay for it and I only paid 75 dollars for it. I am just if anyone out there has all ready done some of these modifications.

  6. #6
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default

    It's done all the time to the point that there are multiple how-to's on YouTube covering the topic. I can't imagine a basic bolt handle and scope mount tapping would cost very much. Personally I really enjoy shooting them in their original configuration and fond the adjustable sights surprisingly accurate well beyond what I would have expected!

  7. #7
    Member sayak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central peninsula, between the K-rivers
    Posts
    5,788

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by frat2211 View Post
    I recently purchased a Mosin Nagant for 75 dollars. This rifle fires nicely and adequately. The problem lies in that I would like to have a rear mounted scope installed and I would also like to change the bolt to something more compatible with a rear mounted scope. Has anyone here done something like this? I tried to call Doug, but failed to get through. I am looking for a ball park price on what this would cost me. I know that there are better rifles out there, but I really like this piece of history and I just want to make it a functional piece of my collection. Additionaly, sometime in this weapons history, someone attempted to blue the barrel or something and it has a big black spot of some sort of glossy substance. It does not cover the whole barrel. Any idea how to fix this or who could fix it for me? Thanks for the help!
    If you are a project oriented person who enjoys trying to make a silk purse from a sow's ear (sorry Stranger), the MN is your subject. For me, after the "civilizing" was done, so was I, and have enjoyed working on Enfields since (though the ammo is somewhat harder to come by and more expensive).

  8. #8
    Member walk-in's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    771

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by frat2211 View Post
    The Mosin purchase was an impulse buy that I have had some fun researching.
    That is as good a reason to buy a rifle as any I can think of.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

  9. #9
    Sponsor ADfields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Missing Palmer AK in Phonix AZ.
    Posts
    6,416

    Default

    If your asking will you get your money back after modifying, not very likely but Iíve never come out money ahead modifying any gun . . . Ever! If your asking will it be a good gun, yea most likely but it will still be ugly. I built many a Mouser from a cheap surplus gun and they make a good gun . . . but you can buy a commercial all done better for less.

    The MN is the cheap surplus rifle of old we have here and now, a cheap rifle that you can build into a decent rifle for cheap. Itís never gonna be a model 70 but itís the cheapest way to get a very survivable hunting rifle these days. I think of it as just like the Jap rifles I grew up with, ugly as sin but very cheap to buy, cheap to shoot, and makes an accurate and survivable hunting rifle . . . try to find a Jap rifle for cheap now, I was offered $1500 for my best all original still 6.5 not long ago and I paid $15 for the thing back when.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Fairbanks, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    22

    Default

    Definately not trying to make any money on this thing. Just trying to see what is out there. I got ahold of the gunsmith and he gave me a price I found quite reasonable for what I was looking for getting down. You are right, it will never be a model 70, but it can be something I can shoot and have fun with for a long time.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NorthWest Alaska
    Posts
    3,635

    Default

    The $$ is in collecting, not sporterizing, unless your the 'smith. The fun is in shooting accuratly, and that is pricless.

    http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdis...orkbench-Forum


    Read there, it will have all the information you need. Trigger job, claening properly, scope mounting.

    I would suggest a nice trigger clean up and smoothing, a forward on the rear sigth mount type scope, shimming the barreld action and buying a bent handle bolt body to replace the straight handled bolt body. Then you can restore it for collectability.

    The shiny black stuff is Soviet paint over rough or no blue. Present AKs have blue with paint or paint over phosphating.

    Your is most likely a recent import with a [/] on the buttstock and a [I] on the barrel chambers end. Cleaned up, brought back into spec with new parts, test fired and made to shoot to the Soviet spec, cleaned, Varnished and cosmoed up and stored for WWII

    I have a few 91/30's that shoot spot on with a little adjustment.

    How does it shoot right now?

    Theres a great many here, and all are 'tuned' but not alterd.

    I much preferr Finn Mosins because Only accurate rifles are intertesting.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

    "Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

  12. #12
    Member .338-06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,045

    Default

    I can't think of a better 'truck' or 'boat' gun. Good caliber and near industructible. Oh, and cheap too!
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

  13. #13
    Member cdubbin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    KP, the dingleberry of Alaska
    Posts
    1,749

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by frat2211 View Post
    I recently purchased a Mosin Nagant for 75 dollars. This rifle fires nicely and adequately. The problem lies in that I would like to have a rear mounted scope installed and I would also like to change the bolt to something more compatible with a rear mounted scope. Has anyone here done something like this? I tried to call Doug, but failed to get through. I am looking for a ball park price on what this would cost me. I know that there are better rifles out there, but I really like this piece of history and I just want to make it a functional piece of my collection. Additionaly, sometime in this weapons history, someone attempted to blue the barrel or something and it has a big black spot of some sort of glossy substance. It does not cover the whole barrel. Any idea how to fix this or who could fix it for me? Thanks for the help!
    Some ideas....

    http://www.outdoorbunker.com/category-s/1154.htm
    "Ė Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Eureka MT
    Posts
    3,048

    Default

    If you at all interested in DIY this is the perfect gun to start with. Heck, dinner out with the wife costs that much and the gun doesn't talk. If you have to hire the work done, then it's only worth it if it's what you want.

  15. #15
    Member akgun&ammo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    978

    Default

    there's several companies that make a DIY cut and bolt on bolt kit. Most of them are about $80. Some even have a base for the scope mounting.
    You don't have to be an expert, just be carefully and remember to read all the way to the bottom of the page before starting.

    Have fun.

    Chris

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NorthWest Alaska
    Posts
    3,635

    Default

    The DYI bolt jobs SUKK!!

    I buy broken ones for spare parts, all the time on E-bay, the Mosin Bolt spare parts world is full of broken Mosin Bolt ON Bolt handles from ATI kits. Theres too much pressure on that little screwed on handle opening, extracting and being slammed home and down again, every time you use it......

    Save your $$........do yourself a favor and have the bolt bent or , if done properly, legthend and bent by a pro. Look on the gunboards , theres "The Boltman" or google it.

    This is a GREAT company, and can sell you everything your looking for.
    http://home.comcast.net/~yzhu/accumo...an/Russian.htm
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

    "Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    welfare state of Alaska
    Posts
    5,153

    Default Comparison

    Comparing a Mosin Nagant to a Mauser is kinda like comparing my Ruger Redhawk to my S&W 629. The Ruger, like the Mosin, is very strong, easy to take apart, and shoots well but it is kinda clumsy, more bulky and awkward, and is not near as refined. Also not sure how I would get a scope on the Ruger while my S&W is pre-drilled; I just take the rear sight off.

    Guess I could also compare cost; the Ruger, like the Mosin, is less expensive.

    Like the pistols - do your thing and enjoy the great sport of shooting and tinkering!


    Quote Originally Posted by walk-in View Post
    In the interest of full disclosure, I have to start by saying that I am not a Mosin fan. I have never understood why anyone would buy one when there are so many Mausers available. No matter how much you polish a turd, its still a turd.

    Having said that, I have to agree with .338-06. Value is subjective. I've certainly poured more money into Mausers than they are "worth." They were worth it to me, though. Do whatever you want to do to it to make it into what will make you happy. Screw what anybody else thinks.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Fairbanks, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    22

    Default

    Just got the Mosin back today from Doug and I am really happy with it. Doug informed me of some additional (but workable issues) and from here on out, I plan working on it myself. A decent optic and some finishing work will do nicely. I appreciate all the comments and the advice. This rifle will turn out nicely!

  19. #19
    Moderator Paul H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    5,594

    Default

    Looks like I'm too late to add my 2 cents

    I've done several mauser 95, 96 and 98 conversions over the years, er decades as well a couple of P-14 enfields and I even had a nagant I'd planned to use to build a 480 ruger carbine. That was before I had an apreciation/understanding of the nagant magazine and how difficult it would be to modify.

    What I concluded is that converting any WWI or WWII bolt action military rifle to accept a scope is not cost effective nor recomended. You end up with something that is clunkier than a modern sporting rifle and with a trigger that either needs to be replaced (if one is available) or is sorely lacking.

    I do have an appreciation for classic walnut blued steel rifles and can see using an M98 as a basis of a fine custom, but asside from that type of project you're much better off buying a used sporter.

    If you're looking for a rough service open sighted beater, they have their place. Trying to sporterize them just doesn't pan out.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

    If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    welfare state of Alaska
    Posts
    5,153

    Default

    Modifing any WWI or WWII military rifle today is certainly a bad deal - orginal military guns are just too valuable to chop up.

    However, one can run across some nice modified or partially sporterized mausers, Springfields, Enfields, etc. at some nice prices. If you can refinish the stock etc. yourself you can end up with a nice gun at a decent price and have the satisfaction of shooting a gun you helped build.

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Looks like I'm too late to add my 2 cents

    I've done several mauser 95, 96 and 98 conversions over the years, er decades as well a couple of P-14 enfields and I even had a nagant I'd planned to use to build a 480 ruger carbine. That was before I had an apreciation/understanding of the nagant magazine and how difficult it would be to modify.

    What I concluded is that converting any WWI or WWII bolt action military rifle to accept a scope is not cost effective nor recomended. You end up with something that is clunkier than a modern sporting rifle and with a trigger that either needs to be replaced (if one is available) or is sorely lacking.

    I do have an appreciation for classic walnut blued steel rifles and can see using an M98 as a basis of a fine custom, but asside from that type of project you're much better off buying a used sporter.

    If you're looking for a rough service open sighted beater, they have their place. Trying to sporterize them just doesn't pan out.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •