Thread: getting taxidermy across the border

Default getting taxidermy across the border

I am moving back down to the states. Does anyone know if there will be any issues getting my mounts through Canada? We will have them in a Uhaul with us. A couple moose mounts, bear rug, mountain lion, wolverine, and various furs. Anyone ever do this?

YES you will have an Issue.

The Bears & the Lion are CITES animals & you will have to get an Export Cites for each to go through Canada.

The only problem is, the paperwork states RAW, Frozen , Or Salted .

It does not say MOUNTED.

I brought a couple of Black bears with my 4 years ago from my Oregon studio to my Fairbanks studio, & got a ration of Hate & discontent when I showed up at customs.

Even though I have an Import /Export License myself & all paperwork was filed.

It didnot include MOUNTS.

You will be better off to Ship the Lion, & Bear to your Destination.

Go check with USF&W FIRST before doing anything else & they will help you with this.

RJ Simington

Yeah Go to USFW office to get your paperwork, I transported African Game mounts,moose, moose meat, and bears across the border, and their main concern was for cites animals, as long as you have the paperwork with their stamp they won't even bother. The Canadian Border officers didn't even want to get off their seat to inspect anything in my truck, they were more concerned for me to come in and pay my money for the firearms I was transporting......Its hit or miss, and the mood they are in......Good luck

Any fur bearers will also cost you to get into Canada and also again to get out of Canada. We found that out last year when we took a grizz into get sealed, they said it would cost $300 to bring it or any fur bearers across the border and another $300 to get it out. The feds recommended we just send it air cargo which we did for under $75.

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    Any fur bearers will also cost you to get into Canada and also again to get out of Canada. We found that out last year when we took a grizz into get sealed, they said it would cost $300 to bring it or any fur bearers across the border and another $300 to get it out. The feds recommended we just send it air cargo which we did for under $75.

Is that new? in 2007 I transported a Griz and two blackbear hides and their skulls across border (driving the ALCAN) along with USFW paperwork and didn't have to pay anything........

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    Is that new? in 2007 I transported a Griz and two blackbear hides and their skulls across border (driving the ALCAN) along with USFW paperwork and didn't have to pay anything........
    Don't know if it is new or not, it happened to us after our float hunt in 2010 and I also talk about it on my float hunt thread. Besides the grizz they said any fur bearer such as beaver, fox, wolf, etc. The guy we talked to at the feds said he had just gotten back from the Beaver Creek border crossing and saw it happen to a few different hunters driving south.

It started in 2009.

Used to that Black Bears were an exemption also but not anymore.