Thread: caribou unit 20A

Default caribou unit 20A

HI guys!

I am new to this site and was hoping someone could give me some info on the caribou hunt in unit 20A (827). I lucked out and drew the tag and was curious if anyone on here has hunted bou in this unit and what a person could expect with numbers and size of bulls? I hunted the unit a few years ago, but that was for moose, so never did see any bou at that time. Thanks!

There is a decent size herd of caribou in there but they are not that easy to find at times. The bulls do produce some fine antlers though. The most best way to hunt them is to be flown in since there is little to know access any other way.

Since your a non res and not too familiar with the area, I would recommend finding a transporter soon, and checking with that company on past success of hunters they have taken out.
    I suspect that Wrights Air in Fbks flies hunters in to that area.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Since your a non res and not too familiar with the area, I would recommend finding a transporter soon, and checking with that company on past success of hunters they have taken out.
    I suspect that Wrights Air in Fbks flies hunters in to that area.
    wrights or one of the Delta air charter services.. will do best for any non local person.. i say it like that because there ARE smaller out fits but they are hard to track down and get nailed down. unless your local

THe bou have teneded to hang out on the eastern side more though they are sparcly spread through out the mtn range of 20A... and very much tend to be ABOVE brush lineand often are at or above sheep line. this is a demanding hunt thoug well worth it.

... they calf and summer in poartions of unit 13E and move north and east as the season progresess... bulls in the mid 300's are not uncommon.. and 380's and over 400's are frequant to those who look and work for them. ...

last time i checked.. wrights quoted me 1200 into the Japan hills for 2 of us dropped off.

remember them bou are moving every day.. you may pick a spot and not see any.. then see them all at the end of your hunt. or you may drop in the first day and see some nice ones.. and deside to wait.. and miss them.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here