Thread: private land

Default private land

what are you thoughts on buying private land to bait or hunt on? is it a good idea?

Usually not a good idea. Most private land is adjacent to other private land. All it takes is a neighbor to build a cabin and you can no longer bait there if they are within one mile of your bait. For that matter, you cannot bait within one mile of your own cabin even if you are the only cabin for miles around. As far as hunting on your land, there are very few large parcels ever for sale anywhere in remote Alaska. A 10 or 20 acre parcel is pretty small for your own hunting preserve.

To me it really depends on the property. There are quite a few areas where a land purchase ends up securing access into public lands that is blocked to the general population do to trespassing laws. Finding these "gateway" properties is very challenging and usually the owner knows what they have and wants a premium for it.

I had five acres six miles from Haines and had moose and bear on the place most everyday.No need to bait,just watch out the window.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Amigo- you and I both know that is the exception, not the norm

Doug's right, BUT you can look for such places. I have a friend in Homer where he legally shot a moose in his garden. He calls it his 'easy garden moose'.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

I know a few that bait off petersville road that bait well within a few miles of a whole slew of cabins. I sat in a bait stand with a friend last year just to watch, off Kashwitna not far from a subdivision of cabins, I could even here the dogs barking while we were sittin' in it.....still had bears coming in....and yes, the bait stand was registered....... it was interesting for me.

Quote Originally Posted by .338-06 View Post
    I have a friend in Homer where he legally shot a moose in his garden. He calls it his 'easy garden moose'.
    Haha, me too! Several years ago a littler forker ate my cabbages, and carrot and turnip greens all summer long and then paid the ultimate price a few days after opening. The garden produce got recycled into tender meat.

Not exactly baiting I know, but we really hadn't tried too hard to repeatedly drive him away. My family likes meat more than vegetables anyway.

Even though it's registered it doesn't mean it's complying with the 1 mile from a cabin/house rule. I could register a bait right in the parking lot of my hardware store and the ADF&G office wouldn't stop me if Ijust gave the GPS coordinates. The F&G troopers love it when you register a bait within a mile of a structure, easy tickets

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    I know a few that bait off petersville road that bait well within a few miles of a whole slew of cabins. I sat in a bait stand with a friend last year just to watch, off Kashwitna not far from a subdivision of cabins, I could even here the dogs barking while we were sittin' in it.....still had bears coming in....and yes, the bait stand was registered....... it was interesting for me.

Yeah Doug, I hear ya...... sometimes I wonder if they even check the coords, I know they are supposed to.

Our guy up here does. Trooper Valentine is pretty on top of it, but there are a heck of a lot of baits up this way.

once i get back to alaska im going to have to go out for a weekend on the quad and see how everything is set up. i was told there is a lot of wildlife in that area but ill have to see for myself to make sure.

Which area is that? Up Petersville?

Default google earth

im not sure exactly. i just google earth searched it and saw a general idea of where it is. i was told it had decent hunting out there so im going to check it out in october.

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post

Who took you behind the gate?!??! lol
    It's not skybusting if you fold em'.