Thread: What's your tie desk look like?

Default What's your tie desk look like?

Im curious as to how everyone organizes their crap.

Do you keep your tie supplies in a desk? Drawers? Tackle boxes? In the original baggies strewn around your area? Old toolbox?

Personally I use Big 4" ring binders with the clear plastic zip pockets that go in there to keep my stuff organized and neat.

How do you do it?

Simple load several Bins with to much crap.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P2203930.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by icb12 View Post
    Im curious as to how everyone organizes their crap.

Do you keep your tie supplies in a desk? Drawers? Tackle boxes? In the original baggies strewn around your area? Old toolbox?

Personally I use Big 4" ring binders with the clear plastic zip pockets that go in there to keep my stuff organized and neat.

How do you do it?

In between cleanup sessions mine looks a lot like New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina!

I've been tying seriously for over 50 years, and for ten of those early years I made a good living with a fly vise. We're talking lots of materials, and a pretty fast changeover in those days. I still have lots left, plus the accumulation since, plus the bad habit of buying materials by the handful or dozen if there's a price break. I've got more fly tying materials than most stores, and that's not an exaggeration.

You probably won't accumulate as much material or as fast, but one thing is for sure- If you keep fly tying your kit will grow. And grow and grow. You kinda have to plan ahead for that, or you'll end up reorganizing every time you pick up new stuff.

The only thing that's saved me (and my marriage) are those medium sized clear plastic totes, roughly 12"x6"x24". As I've added new and different materials over the years, I just get more of those. If I accumulate a bunch of one "category" I start switching to deeper and deeper versions with the same footprint. That lets me stack them, but I label the ends. When I started out I figured seeing into the clear plastic would be enough, but labels are better.

Another good thing about the tote approach, you can subdivide when one gets full. All my necks and saddles went into one tote at first. But pretty quick there was one for necks and one for saddles. Then there was one for natural necks and another for dyed necks, and one for natural saddles and another for dyed saddles. Now they're divided even further, but I'll leave it to you to decide how I did that.

I just went down and counted, and I have over 20 of those totes now. Plus two chest of drawers for bulky stuff like whole skeins of wool and chenille, whole hides and such.

Sounds like a lot and it is, but that's not the point. Long as I keep it clean, it's easy to find stuff. And I can continue to expand as more stuff comes through the door, without having to reorganize the whole setup.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4277.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	33.8 KB 
ID:	57352

The wife traded some lodging for this setup with the manufacturer..The kids are drawn to it as am I. After years, the wife got tired of loosing her kitchen table more than not.

Pros = Good to have a limited space that is organized. And the cedar makes for a nice aroma with every drawer.
    Con = Bad to have a limited space and seems like I am always running out of something.

El'cheapo plastic divider boxes from wally's and plastic totes (a little smaller than the ones BB mentioned). In the fishing section of WM, they have these really inexpensive clear plastic boxes with removable dividers in several sizes. I think they are a generic knock-off of some of the Plano tackle boxes. The quality is good and the largest 2 sizes are perfect. I travel with my tying kit and everything fits in a duffle bag. I've got one divided box that is all thread and tools. Another divided box is all yarns and small items such as beads, legs, eyes, etc. I keep stuff like beads in the original zip-bags and roll them up to place in the box.

A few larger divider boxes have the smaller materials such as strung marabou, hackles, and dyed furs. Larger items and larger quantities of items are zip-bagged and placed in the larger open bin box.

I am planning to build a more permanent tying station at home and then I'd just have this travel kit with basic clamp vise that I'd haul around with me. When I get the home station with a better vise put together, I'll probably make a more permanent material storage system that would utilize a similar (if not the same) clear plastic box system. Then I'd reduce the size of my traveling kit down to smaller amounts of each material.

Ideally, my man cave setup is going to have my U-shaped reloading bench area, a computer station to access online data and AOD without leaving the hobby area, a tying station, general purpose workbench, and a flat-screen with Blu-Ray and surround sound.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Nice. I've been curious as what everyone does. I know how I do it. And I've seen how my friends do. But I figured there were some creative ways that other people have come up with.

Pretty much everyone goes for the clear tote/box idea. Seems to be what works for most people.

creative chaos

Name:	PANO_20120220_171010c.jpg 
Views:	273 
Size:	42.4 KB 
ID:	57358
    This land is your land, this land is my land

Quote Originally Posted by neverborn View Post
    creative chaos

Name:	PANO_20120220_171010c.jpg 
Views:	273 
ID:	57358

now that is a man cave! I just throw all my stuff in 2 tackel boxes. One pretty much just for tying rabbit flies, and the other has every thing else.

One thing not mentioned yet is the venerable ziplok bag. With small stuff and carded stuff, it really helps to sort those into ziploks, and put those into your totes, tackle boxes, whatever. I have a substantial travel kit, but it wouldn't be feasible without ziploks. I use so many of the gallon and quart size at home, I keep boxes of each hidden from my wife in my man cave. Leave them in plain sight, and they'll migrate for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    One thing not mentioned yet is the venerable ziplok bag. With small stuff and carded stuff, it really helps to sort those into ziploks, and put those into your totes, tackle boxes, whatever. I have a substantial travel kit, but it wouldn't be feasible without ziploks. I use so many of the gallon and quart size at home, I keep boxes of each hidden from my wife in my man cave. Leave them in plain sight, and they'll migrate for sure.
    I, too, am a horder of ziploc bags. My whole organization system relies on ziplocs (this goes beyond fly tying actually into lots of other hobbies), and I keep stashes of them scattered around the house and garage.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

the most important thing here we are all forgetting………security! How do you keep your hackle from ending up in your wife or daughter's hair???????? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by icb12 View Post

How do you do it?
    Pretty much all of the above, lol. Actually, I don't use binders, but I think that's a terrific idea. I might experiment with that for organizing lots of loose feathers (duck, geese, grouse, pheasant, etc.) While I aim for some level of organization, I don't think I'd ever use "neat" to describe my desk.

My girl got sick of me spending all my evenings out in the man cave (aka the garage, where I also have my reloading bench, rod building setup, etc.). So she convinced me to move my fly tying desk inside - which has pretty much resulted in my taking over of the guest bedroom.

I use the big drawers to organize hackle, marbou, and wool. The small drawers for rabbit, bucktail, chenille, dubbing, mylar, extra threads/wire/floss and the like. Big totes for assorted furs and feathers (I have several more in the garage with bulk/extra - a lifetime of shooting deer, elk, birds, predators, etc. pays off for fly tying). The white paper box is full of around 30 ziplocs with assorted feathers (grouse, duck, ostrich, spey hackle, etc.). There actually is some sort of organization to the desk, although it doesn't look it. Basically when I sit down to tie I surround myself with supplies and go crazy.

Ironically, the old tacklebox in the foreground of the second photo used to contain my entire setup, but that was 20 some years ago. It's on the verge of losing its purpose - although it's still handy to throw together a travel setup in my truck. It's full of 20 years of randomly accumulated stuff I keep swearing I'm going to clean out and organize one of these days, but it's yet to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    the most important thing here we are all forgetting………security! How do you keep your hackle from ending up in your wife or daughter's hair???????? LOL
    Easy - you hide them under a few hare's masks. Any young lady who's that clued into fashion probably isn't going to get past the skinned face of a cuddly little bunny!

My materials are sorted/stored based on use. Crap I never use is stacked in totes in the garge or my third bedroom. Saddles for big muskie flies are in drawers behind my tying chair, strung hackle and other bagged materials are on slat board on the walls, Flashabou cut for tying is on slat board over my table and Flashabou still in hanks is on the back wall. Had to "censor" some of the images on one wall...this being a family site and all...

Don't have many materials up in these pics as I was tying prett much exclusively for muskie at the time, so most materials are in storage in the next room.

Kodiak, What a nice looking Bench area!

Thank you sir. My Grandpa built the table and the rest I've assembled and refined over the last 15 years or so.

That's much nicer than the big bag I throw on the kitchen table when I tie!

man I can only imagine the guys looking at that pic salivating right now!

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358666311.597092.jpg 
Views:	28 
ID:	67442Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358666337.067131.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	67443
    Plastic totes also. Just got a 20$ label making machine seems to help cleanup

Mine is an old rolltop desk (free off craigslist) screwed shut for awhile to keep out a 4yr old. Surplus material in multiple ziplocs stored in larger totes and on the upper shelves out of reach of a 4yr.old. Hopefully someday I'll be able to take it down and start teaching her to tie.