Thread: 22-250 bullets not stabilizing.

Default 22-250 with 40gr noslers

I'm think I am going to load a 40 grain Nosler Ballistic tip lead free Varmints in a 22-250. Does anyone have any experience with this bullet? If so, what charges are you using? Thanks for any input!

My 22-250 would not shoot the 40 gr. Nosler but my .223 shoots them good. I had to try about five different bullets to find one that my 22-250 liked. Mine liked the Sierra 53 gr. BTHP. I checked my gun last week to make sure it was still on zero and it was. I fired three rounds at 100 yards that I could cover with a dime. My rifle is a 700 Remington and was very picky as to the load and bullet it liked. The load mine liked was 39.0 gr. of H380 and I had to seat the bullet a little ways off the lands to make it shoot the best. It took a little shooting to get mine right but it is a joy to shoot now. Don't give up you will find the right load.

My best bullet combo was with heavier bullets and Varget powder. I tried various different grain bullets and manufactures until I found the gem I load today. The 55 grain Combined Technology silver ballistic tip over 35 grains of Varget is my go to load now. Off a rest it groups just over a quarter inch at 100 yards. I seat these right at the lands shooting a Rem. 700. I have some 36 grain Barnes varmit gernades loaded but have not tried them yet.

Once you find a bullet that your rifle likes just play with loads and seating depths until you find the sweet spot. I find that mine likes to be close to max grains of powder. Good luck

Okay, I think I'll load .5 gr bellow max charge with IMR 4064 or varget. Thanks guys, very helpful.

My 22-250 likes the Berger 53 grain hollowpoint bullets, my 223 likes the moly coated Berger bullets.

I have used the 40grn pills in my 22 hornet but i would not use them in the 22-250. Not only tough to stabilizw but also may come apart in flight. I have heard of it and read about it many times but never witnessed it myself. The first to dust bullets in flight was the 220 swift

Thumbs up

The 52gr Speer HP was a tack driver in my 22-250 with 38.0 of H380.

You need to check the Rate of Twist of your barrel............

Most do well with 50 to 55gr bullets...........
    Alaska