Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 100lbs?

Default 100lbs?

How hard is it to get clothes, gear, and food to 100lbs for fly-in float hunt? Does the food need to be all freeze dried?

I can make a great camp, to include food and gear and stay under 100lbs,, NOT including the raft or accessories.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Extra clothes, consist of a pair of long johns and a extra pair of wool socks to wear around the fire while your main set of duds dry out after a day of hunting.

Food consists of what ever can be made with boiling water, rice, mac, etc. ( most likely you will have fish or small game to go with it.) Throw in a couple of moutain house to break up the diet.

Then you have the T.P., lol

Your sleeping bag, first aid kit,fold up cooking set, don't forget the greese of some sort, some kind of a small flashlight and there you go.

We used to buy the 6 man rafts, 1 per person, the yellow ones and they would haul out a person and a moose no problem, the were 48 pounds.

Throw in a bottle of your favorite juice for the after shot and you have a good hunt on your hands.

Beware test your pack at home many times, because most eveyone I know thinks they can add just a little more. lol

Only you will know. Lay out all your crap and weigh it I can get an entire week into a 50lb package, minus firearm weight. 100lbs makes a really comfy camp for me. That, of course, doesn't include a raft and raft accessories.

How many days are you expecting to be out? 100lb limit shouldn't be hard to stay under
    "What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? --Jack Handy

The gear would be bow,some gear, clothes and food. Outfitter provides everything else. We be floating, hunting 10 days.

I forgot to ask...How many in the hunt? Is the 100lbs just you or for all? meaning 2 people get 50lbs each, 3 people can only take 33lbs?
    "What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? --Jack Handy

There will be 2 of us, 100lbs each, both have bows, split the weight of 1 rifle.

So you're allowed 200lbs of gear total? For that amount you should have NO trouble coming in under the limit. I would talk to your hunting partner and get a combined gear list and post it here or PM it and I'm sure we could tell you how to shave weight and what to scrap

My kit is at 65 pounds with rifle and a weeks worth of food. If it is just you I think you should be able to do it easily.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Get at it.... its not that hard... i went full scale last fall with the kids.. 8 man tent. propane heat..2 20lbs botls...cots, pads, bags, 2 changes of clothes and FOOD ... 325 lbs and still carried out more then i should have taken in. next time i will take CHAIRS TOO
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

as a lot have said already you should have a real cozy camp with that kind of weight allowance,as been said the best thing is to lay out all your gear on the floor and weigh it,it also lets you see what you and your partner have doubled up on that is not necessary.

Man...you guys are making me feel a whole lot better..Thanks!

Everyone is tell you the correct info but if this is your first time I'll tell you that it's not all that hard to go over 100 lbs as well. I know, I've done it. Weight will and can add up quickly. AKDoug is right, you will need to weigh everything out. Don't try to guess or you will get yourself in trouble. The one common mistake is when you have two buddies going is to take double of thing that you only need one of.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Like others I have learned what is needed and what is not. I've taken newbies on drop off's and despite my efforts, they always take way too much stuff and I have to tell them to leave some of it behind. Lay it out and look at it all, your gear and your partners and then go through it. Askl yourself, do you need that fourth tarp? It is not hard to get down to 100 pounds and have a great camp.

After the two of you compile the first "list" of items to pack take, note of duplicates, of those duplicate items of gear determine which of those only one will be needed, then bring the most reliable of the two. I do not mean comparing toothbrushes, but things like saws, stoves, lantern, etc.

100lbs is an extravagant amount of weight for personal gear, even with personal tents thrown in. I have done many, many trips, that were a week to 10 days long where everything fit into my backpack (and my wifes), including Fosters oil cans, and carried my rifle by sling.

Well-- Just personal thoughts-- Some hunts- especially where your going- be sure to have the right gear-food-ect. To make yourself HAPPY, for lots of unexpected days in a wet-cold -small tent. Got over 30 years doing this and some are good and some are bad. Some times it sucks and some times you can lay naked on the gravel bars.
    Alaska is more like Mars than Bend-- I am just saying, get ready for ANYTHING. Some times it sucks being "tough".
    Goo

Work off of a reliable gear list. That, more than any other single factor, will help you keep it under control. Otherwise, you end up thinking of all kinds of things off the top of your head, and before you know it, you end up with a lot of stuff you really don't need.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

One thing that was not mentioned is bug dope, can't express this enough, buy the rub on type, and keep it on. Take a dip in the river, ------------spread it on thick when you get out til the next time. The combanation of natts , noseeums, and them long nose blood suckers will turn a good hunt into a misirable hunt in a secound.

goeaux, reminds me of a time when I was in the buff and regreated it afterwards, lol, sun was out and drifted off to sleep, when I woke up it I looked like I a was a measeal plauge.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    One thing that was not mentioned is bug dope, can't express this enough, buy the rub on type, and keep it on. Take a dip in the river, ------------spread it on thick when you get out til the next time. The combanation of natts , noseeums, and them long nose blood suckers will turn a good hunt into a misirable hunt in a secound.

goeaux, reminds me of a time when I was in the buff and regreated it afterwards, lol, sun was out and drifted off to sleep, when I woke up it I looked like I a was a measeal plauge.
    Oh man thats the info I need! I don't need to be eaten alive! What your sayin sounds like the movie "Never Cry Wolf" naked in the wild...just gotta be careful!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast