Thread: Float hunting the upper Noatak

Default Float hunting the upper Noatak

Three of us were thinking about floating the Noatak for caribou and fishing. Any info on hunting from the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge on down at the end of August. 10 days and how is the fishing.

Shoot me a Pm and I can get ya started.

Walt
    Gulkana River Raft Rentals
    Northwest Alaska Back Country
    www.gulkanaraftrental.com

Float hunts in unit 23

Quote Originally Posted by pheasantman View Post
    Three of us were thinking about floating the Noatak for caribou and fishing. Any info on hunting from the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge on down at the end of August. 10 days and how is the fishing.
    Don't go to the Arctic Nat'l Wildlife Refuge expecting to float the Noatak River I'm guessing you mean starting your float from Gates of the Arctic Nat'l Park and floating down through the Noatak Nat'l Preserve. Pretty country, going on a float trip up there myself this September. Not sure if the air taxi rules have changed but for the past several years the air taxis have been capped on how many clients they can drop off in the Noatak Preserve. If those regs are still in place you might need to plan a full year or more out if planning on using an air taxi.

Follow Walt's advice, he knows that area as well as anyone.

Good luck,

Jeff

Thanks for the plug Jeff.

Yes, the air taxis have a cap on the number that they can drop in the Preserve during hunting season. Things to think about is flying in from Bettles if you want to hit the high country, it is a lot closer and much less costly. I would plan on pulling out at Noatak Village and taking a Bering Air flight back to Kotz and freight your gear back on Everett Air Cargo. Lots of ways to do a trip like this and if you need any help just let me know.

I will be doing a limited number of float hunting packages starting this fall. Yes I am getting back in to the fun of outfitting hunts in Unit 23! Lots of great hunting and fun. I have 4 packages left for fall 2012 and I will also do a small number of drop camps. Check out my web site at www.northwestalaska.com

Walt
    Gulakana River Raft Rentals
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    Float hunts in Unit 23

Default cant seem to post a message the message field will not let me enter anything

dfsgsdfgsdfgsdfgsdfgsdfgsdfg

Default I can only see my entry in the title field

I cannot see what I am tyoing here

HelpI cannot see what I amtyping there what is wrong? Yes, it shows up after I post but I cannt see it while I am typing
    Last edited by BruceB; 03-11-2012 at 17:34. Reason: when I am entering in the message field I cannot see what I am typing

Put the beer down Bruce!

Haaa

Walt, I was gonna give you som props on this thread but now I'm not so sure. HAHA Realy, when I was on my home computer I could not see what I was entering in the comment field. I can see it on my work computer. Wierd.
    Anyway, I wanted to say that some friends and I hunted out of Kotz back in 07 with some of Walt's gear and I could not have been happier with Walt or any of the gear he provided. Super nice and helpfull guy and the best gear Cabelas has to offer.
    Great trip and thanks again Walt.
    Bruce

Thanks Bruce, a happy costumer is a small business best advertisement. Let me know about that moose hunt.

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    Float Hunts and Drop Camps
    www.northwestalaska.com
    Gulkana River Raft Rentals
    Salmon trips and family floats
    907-259-4290

Sorry to be a little late replying to the initial inquiry, but wanted you to know that the National Park Service has eliminated the client cap for fly-in caribou hunts (there never were any for other species).

This change goes into effect for the 2012 season. There is a time restriction on flights into the far western portion of the preserve. Commercial use authorization holders will be authorized to transport non-federally qualified subsistence caribou hunters into the far western portion of Noatak National Preserve after September 15, unless an earlier date is authorized by the superintendent,

I would recommend checking with your air taxi or the preserve office (442-3890) for specifics on locations & timing.