Thread: fly-in information for hunting unit 21B

Supporting Member

Default fly-in information for hunting unit 21B

Hello, We have drawn moose permits for area DM802 which is just south of the Yukon River, from Tanana half way to Ruby. We are trying to find an air service that can drop us off on a lake so that we get away from the rivers and most of the pressure. I am not sure if good moose areas can be reached by wheel planes in this unit, but I would appreciate any information that you might have about this matter or about this hunting area in general since we have never been there before. Thank you in advance for your help, Len.

Supporting Member

Default unit 21B info

Okay, So I guess after 5 days and over 180 hits no body out there has any information about hunting unit 21B. Please feel free to share any information about the unit in general if you have some or even if you know of a friend that has been there. Thanks for you help, Len.

I know absolutely nothing about DM802; however, you might try giving Wrights Air a call in Fairbanks. They may be able to point you in the right direction and answer your questions.

DM802 Was my third choice for draw permits I applied for this year. The fact that last year 100 percent of the people who applied got that draw. So my friends any I applied for DM719 and DM802, One Friend and myself got 719 and another friend got 802. Since we made a deal, in which ever people had the best tags that was the hunt we will go on, But my friend hasnt made his decision to drop the DM802 tag yet. Anyway, we were going to drive to Manley Hot Springs and put our boats in there. Then we were going to go down river until we hit that hunt area, all the way down there on both sides of the Yukon, is pretty much Any Bull anyway. So we were going to go straight to the hunt area for a couple of days, then work our way back up the Yukon hunting and fishing the whole way. Gonna take a lot of fuel, but I hope this information helps. Let me know if you have anymore questions and I will tell you as much as I know. I am doing all my homework for DM719, Good luck and happy hunting.

Are you AK residents? If so, then don't bother with the tag and hunt the registration hunt and go to more fertile ground. If you are out of state, then it is the only way to hunt that part of the earth for moose. We floated through there and tried to hunt from the Yukon in the 802 area. Pretty slim picking for hunting close to the river that was not native or private land. Get a Duyon corporation map and see where their lands are, it is surprising how many areas are closed along the yukon in that area. I could not fathom a guess where to land a wheel plane. A float plane could find a few spots I would supposed, just looking at google maps. There are a few ponds in the 802 area that are 3/4 mile or better, but not many. The up side, is you won't have a bunch of big guide camps out there since there are what, 5 out of state tags, and they are hardly filled. Best of luck, and have fun with the homework. At least you are starting early. At least you did not try to put in for the area 14 hunts. There may be a reason why there is a 100% success rate with DM802.

Supporting Member

Thanks for the replies. I am an AK res, however my friend is coming up from MT. and aside from bagging a bull I hope that he gets a true AK hunting experience. I can't imagine coming to AK and then going moose hunting via ATV and dealing with crowds of people. Thanks again and I'll keep checking to see if any new info comes in.

Hey Len. ive hunted there a couple times. email me at kjdalaska@gmail.com. give you some info. kelly

Give Willow air a call he should be able to get you in there.

Call Andy Greenblatt with Shadow Aviation.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!