Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got my antlerless draw tags up by Nenana....Any Info???

Default Got my antlerless draw tags up by Nenana....Any Info???

Hello Everybody,

My buddy and I just recieved our draw tags for the Minto Flats SGR antlerless moose tag for august. I am hoping that being in August and not in the HT season the traffic will be down significantly. I am looking for any information on campsites or good sloughs to run up in. We will be taking four people in two boats and hopefully get two cows out of this whole thing to fill the freezers. We were going to put in at Nenana and head downstream on the Tanana and start looking for some good spots. This whole area looks pretty flat and swampy on the Topo maps. Will we have to bring a treestand to get up higher to see? Are there alot of trees in this area, or just swampy grassy flats? Any info would be outstanding and helpful. Thanks Alaska Float Hunters.

Not sure what tag that is - if you give the permit drawing number so I can see it on a map and narrow the hunt area down I may be able to help some. The area changes a lot as you go North from Nenana and the area is a lot different between the Tanana and the flats.

The draw number is DM719, and the season runs from August 15-31. We are going to take a good sized jet boat, and a semi-V alluminum skif. Any info would be great, Habitat, River Depth, River Speed, any good spots? I think being in August we will have to deal with a lot less people. thanks for the help.....

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by rambling raven View Post
    Not sure what tag that is - if you give the permit drawing number so I can see it on a map and narrow the hunt area down I may be able to help some. The area changes a lot as you go North from Nenana and the area is a lot different between the Tanana and the flats.
    DM 719= Dunbar... spelled access restrictions and MUD BUDDY SMALL SKIFF mud budy at that.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Sorry Vince I find your post some what confusing. Does that mean I need a Mud Buddy? Just need some info on the area, thanks for the help.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

water levels in that area have been very low is my understanding... many of the channels have grown over and make travle by jet rough.. HOWEVER.. that part of 20B has probably the highest moose population in the state ... a mud motor and a small skiff would be good investment to work this area and access further in.. .. and you want to know all of the restrictions..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

My Skiff is prop driven....How limited would be up there? Will I be able to get up into some of those sloughs? We were wanting to work the hunt kind of like a float hunt. Find a nice spot and camp there a day or two hunting all around on foot and some boat. If nothing shows up or the sign isnt good we will move camp to the next spot and so on. I just hope our boats can get into some of those sloughs and small rivers far enough to camp. Is this area very wooded, or is it just a lot of grassy flats? Thanks again for all the help and info.

Quote Originally Posted by jojomoose View Post
    My Skiff is prop driven....How limited would be up there? Will I be able to get up into some of those sloughs? We were wanting to work the hunt kind of like a float hunt. Find a nice spot and camp there a day or two hunting all around on foot and some boat. If nothing shows up or the sign isnt good we will move camp to the next spot and so on. I just hope our boats can get into some of those sloughs and small rivers far enough to camp. Is this area very wooded, or is it just a lot of grassy flats? Thanks again for all the help and info.

this is PIKE country... with high and low spots... you may be able to get around the sloughs or you may not depends on the summer coming, we dont have a ton of snow up here to filler up yet... pike fishers complain about not being able to get into the lakes and ponds they could a few years back.. and refuge rules out planes and airboats if i recall... there is a trail down one side.. but wet wet wet ...seriously... i would take aboat.. a few friends.. ( anybull area) a canoe maybe a mud motor if you have a coulbe grand to blow this summer. or maybe an inflatable canoe you can scoot around in. and make multi trip in and out..

meet on face book here

Vince,

Thanks for the info! I'm the other lucky guy that pulled a tag with JOJO... I have never been on the Nenana and have few questions as well. I have a 21ft JB with a 3 stage pump (No stomp grate). Will this run alright down the Nenana or will I be pulling crap out of my jet the whole time?

Longkj

you still wont be on the Nenana... thats the wrong side of the Tanana...

meet on face book here

I think what Long meant to say is, he has never been to Nenana, and has never boated on the Tanana. He had a good question though....How clear is that river? I have drove over the bridge a time or two and it looked pretty dark. Does it clear up in the little streams and sloughs? Still wondering about the habitat in the area. thanks for all the info and help on planning this hunt.

Joe

The river never comes close to clearing up some of the smaller sloughs up there maybe. If I were you I would buy a mokai and a pac raft to put meat in and tow behind the mokai. If you dont know what a mokai is it is a small jet kayak that has a 4hp subaru engine. I had one for a couple years and you can go anywhere. Hell I could go in circles in the fountain downtown if I wanted it could seriously go in 3 inches of water all day. Just stay out of the weeds so they dont clog the jet up and youre good to go!

Ok - Had a chance to look at the area you drew for - I will give you my 2 cents with the clarification I have never hunted in this exact spot - Hunted and fished across the river from that draw and just past that area in the next one. Been heading down that way since the 70's so I am very familiar with the river. Even with all that I guess I must be in the dark but I don't know of any powerboat accessible sloughs off the Tanana in that area. So with that clarification here is my 2 cents with a few visuals for you -

In Nenana the boat launch is into the Nenana river about 1/2 mile above the confluence with the Tanana. Once you hit the Tanana you will have houses along the right bank for the first few miles and then you are in your hunting area. You will have no problems running a jet boat in this part of the river - They run barges and tug boats up and down it regularly - it is a big river. Huge birch and spruce trees right up to the river. This pictures is taken going down stream and looking back towards Nenana

You have roughly 25 miles off the right bank Tanana to hunt as you head Down river from Nenana. If you look at the topo maps and google earth you will see lots of ponds and sloughs off of the river. I would say the key to your success is finding those areas that you can get to and manage to get a canoe or inflatable to that water if it is enough to offer some further access. I would assume there are some sloughs that may offer access farther back in but I wouldn't bank my hunt on it. Finding the areas that look like the following should be productive (These pictures were taken only a few miles away as the raven flies but will give you a good idea of what the country looks like)

Once you find the area that looks good and has the sign patience will pay off -

I believe the plan should include a lot of deet and some pike fishing rods. If you find a slough that you can fish, do so... a moose will walk by soon enough.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Thanks for all of this epic info, you guys rock....I am taking note of all of this, especially the DEET part. Thats good info on the sloughs and the cannoe ideas will start working that route. Looks amazing up there, now I am getting really exited. Thanks Again.

This is possibly the best forum ever... Thanks again for the info guys. We will take all of your recommendations into consideration. Info like this makes a successful and enjoyable hunt. Now the planning stage. How do we get that much bourbon up river???

Watch out for them barges, lol that is a nightmare if you catch them in the wrong spot in the river. Was headed down to the Kantisna one year and we had to dock the boat for 30 minutes to let the waves die down. It just happened on one of those coners that the waves went back and forth forever. ( 4-5 footers at least, not a good thing for a fully loaded boat )

Quote Originally Posted by Longkj View Post
    This is possibly the best forum ever... Thanks again for the info guys. We will take all of your recommendations into consideration. Info like this makes a successful and enjoyable hunt. Now the planning stage. How do we get that much bourbon up river???
    You missed the first point - You are going down river! not to far - lots of room for bourbon!

Cool

DSCF1049.jpgDSCF1052.jpg

Just wanted to say thanks to all of you who posted very helpfull information on this thread. My buddy and I had one of the easiest hunts i have ever been on. We stayed in my camper in the RV camp ground in Nenana (Which by the was was the best hospitality i have seen in a long long time). Went out the first day and within two hours of actual hunting we had the first antlerless moose down. Very wet, rain, and swamp made for a great first time moose butcher...hahaha. Got the second moose on the third day with beautiful weather. Couldnt thank you guys enough for the pics and great info on this area. Wife will be applying for this one next year. good hunting guys.

Joe.

Sweet! good job on ur moose! I was able to get my dm734 moose on the 18th. Definately going to keep putting in for the cow tags. What a wonderful state we live in!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast