Thread: 44 special

Default 44 special

How does this compare to the 44 magnum in terms of bear pro. and hunting? I know that the special cartridge is .125" shorter than the magnum and of course, has less ummph.. Can it be reloaded to something nearing magnum performance safely?

Another question, though not pistol related... can 44 spl be shot out of a 44 magnum lever gun?

Well if you know what you are doing, if you know the gun well, maybe you can get to light to mid level 44mag power. After all that is where Elmer Keith started when making a 44mag . . . but remember he killed a lot of guns along the way. Personally Id just stick with what its chambered for or get a gun marked in something bigger myself.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Yeah, that seems to be the general opinion..

Anybody have responses for the other questions?

Quote Originally Posted by zacsquatch View Post
    Another question, though not pistol related... can 44 spl be shot out of a 44 magnum lever gun?
    Sorry, I missed that first time.

Yes it can but there could be feeding issues depending on the gun and bullet you use. Usually a non issue but feeding heavy blunt 44mag bullets or feeding short 44 Special cases can be an issue in a lever some times . . . same with 83s in a 357 lever, just got to play to find what feeds reliable.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

generally it is a bad practice to "hot rod" a cartridge to achieve super velocities, as many of these mild cartridges are intended to remain that way. the .44spl is accurate, dependable, and chambered in handguns that are lighter than heavy magnums. if you need magnum performance it may be in your interest to trade up to a .44 magnum. that way, if circumstances require it may be loaded hot or mild safely.
    happy trails.
    jh

Not near magnum performance but certainly reloaded to improve over original ballistics. 250 grain cast bullets at 950 fps from 4" barrels in modern revolvers. Yes they feed fine through my Marlin 1894, 44 mag rifle.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Ended up getting my wife a rossi 44 special loaded with 200 gr. ( I think that is what is on the box ) and she loves it. Except for a bit big to carry concealed in a little purse but it does make a nice zombie stopper and is easy for her to shoot.

I have a 357 and 44 mag lever guns made by Marlin and both feed 38/357 and 44/44 mag with out any problem.

If my incomplete log books and memory tally correctly I've whacked 8 deer with 44 Special loads out to 55 yards. They were 250 grain cast bullets tipping the chrono at between 750 and 775 fps from a 4" barrel. Very dead one-shot deer in every case. I've shot a similar number with a virtually identical load through various 45 Colts. I probably wouldn't use that load for moose or elk unless they were at 25 or less, only because my instinct sezz they'd take too much longer to die. I have whacked one elk at around 60 and a moose at around 35 with the same bullet at more or less factory magnum vels from a 7 1/2" 44, and even with that they took a few more steps than I expected. They never got out of sight, but shuffled far enough that the moose could easily have ended up in neck-deep water.

I'm just not a hot-rodder of the 44 Special, and I'm more than satisfied with performance at standard velocities. If I want more than that, I just grab one of my 44 mags and call it good.

Haven't tried any of the Special loads from a lever. Yet!