Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KUIU Chugach or HH Impertec?

Default KUIU Chugach or HH Impertec?

Hello all,
    I am looking for a little feedback and reccomendations on rain gear. I am going to be hunting POW this fall as well as other places, and I need some rain gear. I am looking at KUIU Chugach and HH Impertech. I know KUIU is breathable and ligh and HH isnt breathable but still light. I also know that KK is a lot less spendy as the KUIU.

any and all input would be appreciated

thanks
    Fin

I used HH impertech last year and I am looking for something different. HH was ok, but I just feel that there has to be better stuff out there. It is a lot cheaper than Kuiu which is a plus.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

i have been pretty happy with frogg toggs, relatively cheap, very light, and waterproof. surprisingly tough, too, more so than their appearance suggests.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Just depends...are you backpacking or using them motorized? Backpacking the Kuiu is light and packs small. On a supported hunt the Hellys work well and are pretty reasonable.

I like the Kuiu but they are relatively expensive compared to the Hellys.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

HH is great for riding my ATV and fantastic fishing but just not for me hunting. I like eVent gear for its extreme breathability but Kuiu won me over last year. Light, stretchy and packs small. Hands down the best hunting/hiking rain gear I have found. I used the jacket all last year and plan to add the pants this season. HH just takes up to much pack space, doesn't breath at all and is only "light" when compared to the the heavy rubber rain wear.

Frog Togs looks interesting, seemed "crinkly" to me and way to much like the gift bags that Walmart packages their toys in when you order them wrapped online. Some folks sure do seem to love the stuff though but I haven't given it an honest shot.

Impertech is fine for my moose hunts but never again on a hunt that requires a lot of hiking. I went with KUIU and really like so far.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

well we will be using a truck to get around on the road system, but probly hiking around a lot too. I want a pair that will last and would like to use them on a sheep hunt or caribou etc. So it sounds like KUIU for me

Default For every tool, there's a perfect job...

Fin,

For a lot of activity, that's probably a good choice. I've used both and like both, but as with so many other tools, the best match probably depends on the job requirements.

Impertech has performed well for many a long time. It's tough and waterproof. It also stretches, which I like. It's also on the $150-$200 end of the spectrum while top-shelf, breathable, stretch raingear these days tops out at $600-$900, or so. And price is the first thing that comes to mind when spendy raingear comes loose as the tailgait is opened.

Spendy raingear nowadays stretches too, but what I appreciate is the generally lighter weight... and breathability. In moderate temps, it matters less, but the colder it is, being wet becomes important. I've been wet in good gear more often from sweat on the inside than rain on the outside. A lot of physical exertion calls for more layering and breathability. I agree: breathable raingear has been a better choice whenever I have to move around more, but I still try to keep things in perspective. Impertech still does well what it's always done well.

$................................................. ..$$$$$
    Waterproof ---------------------------Breathable
    Durable/heavy-------------Lightweight/less tough

Before there was all this miracle gear though, hunters and other outdoorsfolk learned other ways to avoid sweating. Of course, that takes time - to go slower, sit and rest more often. And time is what we all have too little of I guess.

Good luck.

Cabelas Dryplus works well. Not too expensive.

For what it is worth I used to hunt in grundens and I was always soaked in sweat but I could sit and call, bought some gore tex and I soaked through immediately if I sat down, and still was wet at the end of the day. I personally am going with cheaper breathable stuff, ie: red ledge throwaway seam sealed breathable or something similar. I have never tried Kuiu, But I have spent at least $200 per item and still been wet at the end of the day. So, I personally feel with my limited experience that cheaper stuff will almost as good and when it tears on a stick-It all does, you won't cry as much. If you want to look like a bad=== in the photos, buy the Kuiu. just my thoughts..... josh

I wouldn't dream of using the same raingear for POW as I would for sheep or caribou hunting. Different tools for different jobs. My Impertech worked perfect on POW for me and it rained like I've never seen it rain anywhere else in Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I wouldn't dream of using the same raingear for POW as I would for sheep or caribou hunting. Different tools for different jobs. My Impertech worked perfect on POW for me and it rained like I've never seen it rain anywhere else in Alaska.
    Excellent point! I should have qualified my last post (they always make more sense in my head, once I start typing things get sloppy). In SE you're always going to be wet it just depends how you want it to happen Sweat or elemental. If I am going on a very wet hunt with little hiking its heavy gear for sure! One just needs to tailor the gear to the hunt I guess.

With Impertech, a fleece jacket and one layer of light merino wool kept me warm and comfortable with light duty walking and glassing in 40F temps while moving through heavy brush. Contact with wet surfaces like alders and brush really pushes water into those "breathable" fabrics. I have no problem with "breathable" waterproof jackets in open country and that's what I use there.

HH Impertech jacket and breathable chest waders with one size larger hiking boots works best for me on moose hunts. Cabelas Dry Plus failed me miserably climbing the San Juan's chasing elk. I switched to the original Frogg Toggs and was very impressed. They were lightweight, tough, non-clammy, and kept me dry in constant rain over several days climbing 11,000+ mountains. My only complaint was the poor fit but the new version fits much better. I'll be carrying the newer better fitting Frogg Toggs on my sheep and goat hunts this year. Think I spent $65 for the Impertech and $85 for the FT's. No need to spend $$$ for rain gear.

Maybe it's just my experience, but if something is breathable it is not waterproof. Some fabrics are better than others, but if it is breathable on a 10 day hunt its going to soak through if it really rains--and it may or may not dry in a tent vestibule. Some items keep you dry when it occasionally rains, but when and where I hunt it does not occasionally rain. HH doesn't breathe, but it is bona fide waterproof from the elements and will dry hanging inside a vestibule. HH (or a competitor's substitute) gets the call for "rain" gear in AK.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

There was a time when I was in the nothing breathable is waterproof camp but after trying some of the higher end fabrics I have been converted. Modern high tech fabrics from good manufacturers are much lighter and have kept me dry. This stuff is a world away from my dads old goretex mil issue stuff!!

I have had a couple higher end rain jackets, but still opt for the old standby Hellys for transporation based hunts. Works great and not reason to put wear and tear on the more expensive stuff when its not needed.

transporation based hunts.
    Is that secret code for "chevy suburban"?

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Is that secret code for "chevy suburban"?
    That and Wheeler, and boat hunts as well.

Quote Originally Posted by GD Yankee View Post
    Cabelas Dryplus works well. Not too expensive.
    My crew and I call it "Wet Plus Frostbite" at least Cabelas is good about taking stuff back!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast