Thread: KUIU clothing?

Default KUIU clothing?

I am getting a set of Kuiu Chugach rain gear for my sheep hunt, but I am still shopping around for the rest of my clothes. I was looking at the Kuiu merino wool base layers, the attack pants, and the guide jacket. Has anybody tried these out, if so what did you think for mountain hunting? Any suggestions for other stuff?

One more question: what is this puffy suit I keep hearing about?
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

The Attack pants are the best thing since sliced bread.

The base layers are nothing special...I prefer minus 33 for less cash and better availability.

The guide jacket is pretty good is you like a soft shell- the hood design is fantastic.

I used mine hunting all last year with good results. Pants took mega abuse and I've only repaired one tear in the knee.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I just shop sierratradingpost.com and steepandcheap.com for base layers. I don't see a reason to pay full price for base layers when they all seem to be about the same quality.

camofire.com usually has core4element baselayers on their site about once a week. Haven't tried them but their was a thread on either this forum or the outdoor gear forum a while back.
    "No battle plan ever survives first contact with the enemy" - Unknown
    Literal Translation:
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson

I purchased the Chugach rain gear and the guide jacket when kuiu had a sale around the end of October so I just missed most of my mountain hunts. I only got to briefly try them out but so far so good, I really like the fit but they are a little on the small size, I am 5'9" and 165 lbs 41 chest and 33 x 32 pants and the med fit nice but not a lot of extra room The attack pants were out of stock so, I did not get my hands on them yet but I will have them in TMA as well. I tried the merino wools last year and liked them I picked them up at costco I think they are Paradox? I have a buddy that hooked me up on some patagonias merino 2s that I am going to bring along as well.

Best hunting pants I have ever owned. Hands down. Tough. water resistant, comfortable and quiet.

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    One more question: what is this puffy suit I keep hearing about?
    Puffy suit is ageneric name for a style of jacket and pants that has light weight fill either down or synthetic. In general they are light and have an excellent weight to warmth ratio. They are made by almost every major manufacture of technical outdoor gear, ie mountain hardware (compressor), integral designs (Barney's ) arcteryx, patagonia (nano puff)etc... I have both the pants and jacket however, I use the jacket a ton more. It is perfect to throw in your pack and to pull out when you are glassing, taking a break or having lunch. They compress to nothing, weigh nothing and are warm for there weight. Many people will use both the pants and jacket in there sleeping bag so that they can carry a lighter bag and then have jacket and pants for dual purpose. It is one of the first pieces that I pack. Be aware that they some of them are heavier and bulkier than others and some come with hoods and some don't all personal preference.

Thanks for the advice. And thanks for clearing up the puffy suit question. I am getting a 15 degree bag, so that will help out a lot if it gets cold.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Have done no hood and hooded, I prefer the hood! MH compressor pants and jacket. Both are amongst the first things in my pack and stay with me as part of my survival plan. Rain pants/jacket plus puffy suite is a winning combo. It's a bivi you can walk in! The puffy suit sure makes the morning constitutional a more comfortable event!