Thread: Hows your steripen?

Default Hows your steripen?

This last sheep season i invested in a steripen, i wasn't willing to carry anything heavier so it seemed like my only option. After the plane dropped us off and left i immediately started to build up a water supply right when my steripen said its brand new battery(the one steripen provided) was dead. Thank goodness we had plenty of extra base camp fuel with us or that coulda been bad. A friend of mine ran into the same problem on his sheep hunt. After buying new batteries it worked like a charm. But it seems the battery provided was defective of some sort. I was hoping this would help anyone who decides to get one, buys a new battery and saves themselves a lot of potential headache. Whats your experience with the steripen?

"Whats your experience with the steripen?" --- I always pack an extra battery with a Steripen. The lithium batteries SHOULD have at least a 10 year shelf life, but I never trust them without backups. I have had them either wear out before I thought they should, or die prematurely. Steripen is a nice device but doesn't work well if the water is cloudy, since the UV light has to be seen by all the micro bugs or it doesn't work. The same cloudy particulate clogs micro filters too, so they often struggle with the same water. I used a Miox chlorine device and it works fine in cloudy water, but according to some reports it's probably not as effective against crypto and giardia as the maker claims. Those are the very bugs that the Steripen is most effective with, and the bugs most likely to give you trouble in AK waters. If you can find clean LOOKING water the Steripen is great.

Man, I love technology but I have balked at the steripen. It looks way cool but since moving to the MSR hyperflow I have really stopped looking. The pump is just flat out fast and reasonably compact. It also doesn't feel like I am stressing it out when pumping like my old ketadyne hiker pump.

I like the taste of iodine. It tastes like weight savings........

I bought and used a steripen too. The battery compartment was independable. I struggled with the power supply too.

I have a bottle of iodine I bought in mexico 4 years ago while my wife and I were on vacation (last time we were on vacation...) It works great, weighs next to nothing, and has good memories attached. I won't be running out to get anything with batteries! Doesn't answer your question I know, just my .02.

I use a silt filter on my MSR sweetwater and it pumps pretty good. The other option is to store the water in a bag or cook pot until it settles but if your like me you want your water now for a reason.