Thread: Socks for cold weather.

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!

Default Socks for cold weather.

Any suggestions on good cold weather sox for wearing in Sorel type boots with the felt liners that are NOT wool or a wool blend? Two of our boys get itchy feet with wool or wool blend fabric. Looking for a sock that is not too thick and will wick away moisture. Also we donít want to spend a fortune on them, they are boys, and can be hard on clothing. Prefer to buy locally but will order if needed.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Thicker merino wool is tops. Darn tough, browning or most any major brand is good. I like at least 85% merino as a small amount of poly does help them keep shape.

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!

Is merino wool itchy for those that are sensitive to regular wool?

+1 on Merino wool. I itch from regular wool, but have switched to Merino wool base layers and socks and have no issues at all and love them. IMO Merino wool is a better base layer than synthetics, and I was a synthetic fan for many years.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

I also don't do regular wool but have no issue with merino. Since switching I have never had a moment where I wished I stunk like I do with poly. Merino socks also don't make my feet feel clammy like poly "thorlo" socks do. Kirklands has a hiking weight merino which is a bargain and I wear them over cotton much of the time even just around town.

Get them some bunny boots and it won't matter what socks they wear in most conditions. My kid wears cotton socks in his down to 0F. I have several Thorlo brand wool blend socks and they are super soft, not itchy at all.

Thanks for the replies! We will check out the Merino and Thorlos. Now the next question is where is a good place to get them?

Quote Originally Posted by hogfamily View Post
    Thanks for the replies! We will check out the Merino and Thorlos. Now the next question is where is a good place to get them?
    Costco if you're in a hurry. Steepandcheap.com if you're not- wait for them to have a deal.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Thank you!

I always keep an eye on http://www.gearscan.com/
    "What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk?Ē --Jack Handy

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Get them some bunny boots and it won't matter what socks they wear in most conditions. My kid wears cotton socks in his down to 0F. I have several Thorlo brand wool blend socks and they are super soft, not itchy at all.
    Yip, same here. I wear the thorlos mountaineering socks (their heaviest sock), and throlos hiking boot socks in the fall (medium weight sock). Their blend doesn't make for itcy feet, and they are the warmest I've found so far.

There is a gal in the Valley that makes socks from Alpaca...I absolutely love them and find them extremely warm. y wife can not wear wool, but is fine with the Alpca stuff. If you are interested I can get you the name of her company. Not cheap, but worth the price IMHO.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Thanks Rodger45, I would like the name of her company. PM if you would like.

check out the Redhead Lifetime socks...they are affordable, really thick, and they replace them when (if) you wear them out. Also, the full cushion hike/trek sock from Darn Tough is a good mid-weight warm sock.

My wooly malamute sheds the softest fur twice a season. Since both sheddings yeild about two 30 gallon trash bags, I'm savin it! Gonna get it turned into yarn for socks n sweaters.

You can call it "Malamute Hardwear"

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    My wooly malamute sheds the softest fur twice a season. Since both sheddings yeild about two 30 gallon trash bags, I'm savin it! Gonna get it turned into yarn for socks n sweaters.

You can call it "Malamute Hardwear"
    Kinda like puppy mittens?........

One thing about bunny boots for the kids is that they will allways be in shape for sports, lol. ( take them things off and you can dunk a basketball, lol )

I actully was able to hit the 11' marker in the gym when I was 16, lol, and thats hard. ( I am 6'4" tho )

Quote Originally Posted by hogfamily View Post
    Thanks Rodger45, I would like the name of her company.
    Downtown Palmer: NonEssentials; 745-2258; Denise is great to work with!
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Marino wool light weight worked great for me over the 2 weeks I spent in Sorel packs from 20F to about zero. Wicked moisture and kept my feet dry even on the snowmachine with heated feet pads.... snowshoeing and hiking. Got mine at Sierra Trading Post...$6 a pair I think.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Thanks all!