Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I just got first job as a deckhand!!

Default I just got first job as a deckhand!!

hey guys! i just got a job as a deckhand with heavanly sights halibut charters!
    i think its the right job for me! i love to fish and LOVE to be on the water.
    come down and fish with me this summer! we are booking NOW!
    “We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” - (Aldo Leopold)

Quote Originally Posted by joefish00000 View Post
    hey guys! i just got a job as a deckhand with heavanly sights halibut charters!
    i think its the right job for me! i love to fish and LOVE to be on the water.
    come down and fish with me this summer! we are booking NOW!
    I hope you love cleaning fish, cleaning boats, cleaning up puke, reeling up lines because people are too tired to check bait and dealing with people who are disappointed they didn't catch a 200+lb halibut. That being said, it is a great job for a local kid. Too many times people have to bring up people from the lower 48 because local kids won't do it. You will work hard, have lots of great experiences, meet a lot of great people, remember to keep a smile on your face and your attitude up, even on those early morning tides, you always have to be positive and friendly, no matter how tired you are. Enjoy your summer it will be a great experience.

You have to start at the bottom before you reach the top Yukon (Have your own boat that is), Congrads Joefish!
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    You have to start at the bottom before you reach the top Yukon (Have your own boat that is), Congrads Joefish!
    Yep, you are dead on. I have been there done that, cleaned a lot of fish, a lot of boats and met with many people. Deckhand work is great summer work, a great place to learn work ethic......and a great place to get some good tips!

Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    .and a great place to get some good tips!
    Ahhhhhhhh the TIPS I miss those days sometimes

yea, i need some money! Tips are good! it sould be a good experience...,
    i worked it out and i will still be able to take time off so i can go moose and caribou hunting... all summer im constantly calling freinds and itching to go fishing. this summer i need nothing but to get up early and my wish will come true EVERY DAY!!!!
    “We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” - (Aldo Leopold)

Congrats, Heavenly Sights is a pretty charter too. You will have a lot of fun.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

You should learn a lot and have some fun. I remember the days of spending the summers at the lodge. Taught me how to work and how to show a smile for the clients even when I wanted to push them in the river or slap them for being suprised we don't live in igloo's

Sounds like you have the right attitude about deckhanding. Just remember not to be too surly when you have to answer for the 200th time that that's Mt. Redoubt and that's Mt. Iliamna. It's all new to your clients so they'll want to know.

Quote Originally Posted by tcman View Post
    Sounds like you have the right attitude about deckhanding. Just remember not to be too surly when you have to answer for the 200th time that that's Mt. Redoubt and that's Mt. Iliamna. It's all new to your clients so they'll want to know.
    and the age old question of "how far above sea level are we" when you are sitting in the ocean......

My son worked that job last year. They are really nice folks.

Don't forget to check the maintenance list each day........poor Tom is constantly fixing that one kingfisher......

I assume that you will be decking for Jesse?

Quote Originally Posted by tcman View Post
    Our main one at least twice a day is "WHAT DO YOU DO IN THE WINTER"

Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    I hope you love cleaning fish, cleaning boats, cleaning up puke, reeling up lines because people are too tired to check bait and dealing with people who are disappointed they didn't catch a 200+lb halibut.

Sounds like a regular summer of working on my OWN boat. Except the puke part. Oh, and I don't get paid to work my own boat. I think Joe's got this figured out! Good luck, man, it sounds like a great time!

I ben lookin for a job doing that, where the heck didja find it?
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

not really sure who i will be fishing under.... captain steve got a full time job elswere so hes not gonna be a captain, but i know jesse is one of them... the other captain is a veteran capatin from another charter service that whent outa busness...

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    My son worked that job last year. They are really nice folks.

Don't forget to check the maintenance list each day........poor Tom is constantly fixing that one kingfisher......

I assume that you will be decking for Jesse?

ive known the owner Dan martin for a long time, and they are freinds of the family...
    he was lookin for deckhands and i was lookin for work, thats how i got it.

Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    I ben lookin for a job doing that, where the heck didja find it?

Congrats ~ I wish you the best! Like the others' have said, always reamin positive [as you'd like to be treated yourself] and eveything else will fall in place.
    Quote Originally Posted by joefish00000 View Post
    ive known the owner Dan martin for a long time, and they are freinds of the family...
    he was lookin for deckhands and i was lookin for work, thats how i got it.

Get some felt inserts for your xtra tuffs and a metal glove for your weak hand, so you don't cut it when you are cleaning fish.
    Best of luck

I meant Dan, not Tom.....not sure why I always call him Tom.

They did get a new cap'tn.

You'll have a fun summer. Getcha some of those clams on yer day off. Hope they got rid of one of those 'hands sleeping quarters.....they were overdue for to be discarded.

Quote Originally Posted by AKCAPT View Post
    Get some felt inserts for your xtra tuffs and a metal glove for your weak hand, so you don't cut it when you are cleaning fish.
    Best of luck

I would also go to Alaska Butcher supply in Anchorage and buy one of those plastic forearm guards they have, my brother who was a deck hand and guide for Silverfox poked his forearm twice in two years and had to fly to Anchorage to get it looked at both times...
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast