Thread: Lew Horton???

Default Lew Horton???

Can anyone tell me anything about a S&W 624 .44 special? I am not big into guns so I don't know much about this, any info would be great.

Well itís a good gun but in a caliber that kind of makes it a collector item more than a using/packing gun. If you are looking for a packing gun since it sounds like you wonít be reloading Iíd say 44mag if itís for woods carry and 357mag if for town because of ammo being easy to find. 44mag will also fire smaller 44 special and 357mag will eat smaller 38 special but not the other way around.

Might be better to tell us what you are wanting to do with the gun. Itís hard to go very wrong with any S&W, Ruger, or Dan Wesson revolver but some (especially the calibers) are better for one job than another.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I have a person who wants to trade it for an old snowmachine. We both think our items are of equal value. I was interested in it only for collector or possible resale at a future date. I already have a S&W .44 mag for the woods, I am looking at it more from an investment stand point.

A quick look-about on the web says when they come up they are selling around $550 to $700 depending on condition, barrel length, and if itís a later run with a dash something in the model number. Didn't see any for sale now though and that is a good sign of a collectable gun at about the right time to be collected IMO, likely never have the value of say a 29 due to caliber but you never know what will get hot and when.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Lew Horton is a large distributor and has a number of special edition guns made for them every year and S&W accommodates them with the volume they run. There are a number of these distributors so S&W makes a pretty substantial number of special runs annually- Lew Horton, TALO, Davidsons, etc. all do a few varieties.

Guys who are die-hard S&W collectors can weigh in, but in general these editions don't really carry a significant collector interest given there are hundreds of different editions out there floating around and values don't seem significantly higher than standard issue guns. Certain S&Ws do carry significant collector interest but these tend to be standard edition, older revolvers- pinned barrels, recessed cylinders, etc.

If you like the gun, I'd probably snag it. I wouldn't imagine it has any tremendous value over any other N frame in similar condition though. A check on Gunbroker or GunsAmerica will tell you what same vs. similar models are actually selling for and is probably a good indicator of its future value.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I have a Lew Horton Model 29 that has served me well for a long time. If you can find one at a reasonable price, snatch it up.

Quote Originally Posted by ToolMan907 View Post
    Can anyone tell me anything about a S&W 624 .44 special? I am not big into guns so I don't know much about this, any info would be great.
    I had one since new they made 5000 of them, I just sold mine with box and Galco holster that was part of the package for $775.
    Neat 44 Special built on the N frame 3" Round Butt , with combat grips. S&W had a recall on them some of the metalurgy of the time may have been bad. If you send it in you may get the short end as they do not have replacment cylinders, and they will offer you a replacment which is not up to current value. Introduced around 84-86 as I recall. They have a tapered barrel same contour as the
    Mtn gun 629 and feel great.

I have a 624-3, 3" gun and also a blue 24-3, 3", both round butts with Michael's rubber on the SS and S&W combats G/A's on it. Neither are serial number with the LEW as are Lew Horton guns but they are the same. It's true the Stainless were recalled due to metallurgical problems in the cylinder and S&W says no new cylinders available. I didn't send mine in and I shoot the crap out of it heavy loads. I don't think there is any real collector value other than the eatery of them. I had another 624, with the box and sold it for $800, two years ago.

I have to disagree with Andy again and defend the 44 Special......I think it is.
    The cartridge is one if my favorites and these big N frames can launch 250 grain hard cast at 950 FPS from their short 3" barrels. They aren't light weight and a case could be made for a few ounces more you could carry a 44 mag in a mountain gun and have another inch of barrel. I can't argue against that but sometimes a magnum isn't needed.
    I like the guns and the 100+ year old cartridge.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

We need to stop talking about the .44 Spec. before I start missing my S&W 696 again.

Darn, too late.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    I have to disagree with Andy again and defend the 44 Special......I think it is.
    The cartridge is one if my favorites and these big N frames can launch 250 grain hard cast at 950 FPS from their short 3" barrels. They aren't light weight and a case could be made for a few ounces more you could carry a 44 mag in a mountain gun and have another inch of barrel. I can't argue against that but sometimes a magnum isn't needed.
    I like the guns and the 100+ year old cartridge.
    It doesnít sound as though you are disagreeing with me Murphy, not getting my point maybe. All Iím saying is if itís a gun you intend to pack there are better caliber options out there, especially for those that donít roll their own.

In the N-frame:
    If you want to pack something that big for people defense you can have 8 rounds of 357 and find ammo in abundance at any store and shoot light 38 too. Or for woods carry you can have 44mag, again with ammo galore down at any the corner shop yet still feed it the grand old 44 Special if you want. So both better options to my mind as a working gun than the same size gun chambered in 44 Special.

I too like 44 Special, acutely prefer it greatly to 44mag which I dislike for all the hype and hoopla surrounding the ďgreat big forty fore.Ē But as a practical matter, if buying a gun for a practical use there are better options than 44 Special. Now, if buying an investment gun hoping the value will go up, then, I got to figure they made a lot less numbers of 44 Special and that makes it a better bet than most 44mags . . . and itís still fun to play with sometimes ifin ya want and will kill things as dead as it ever did if you need it to.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

No we probably don't disagree, Andy, just rattlin' you some.

Practical year probably several more practical calibers, depending on the use and where we trod. I like trail guns and trail gun cartridges. I define them as something between cowboy loads and full house magnum. In this cae I also think of a trail gun as a revolver. Single or double action and starting with a "4". 41, 44 spcl, 44 mag, 45 Colt, that general realm. About a four inch barrel and loaded with a 240 to 280 grain bullet at about 1000 fps. The special will get there in a solid revolver and I have a few of them that I carry often. Hodgeman mentioned the 696, a five shooter with a three inch barrel. That package loaded with any of the 200 to 240 grain hollow points makes a great defensive gun for social occasions. It was one of the best ideas S&W ever had. Look at it this way, if the 45 ACP and its ballistics are a man stopper, the 44 special with modern loading certainly is.The little three inch gun will send 220 grain JHP at 900 to 950 fps, I've shot that gun with such a load many rounds and found no ill effect from it. I load my three inch N frame a little heavier.
    Obviously walking in bear country more horse power would be better especially if we carry a gun of the same size and weight as the 44 mag, why not carry the mag....no argument there. I just think that the 44 special is a very useful cartridge and most of the time we do not need magnum power.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    No we probably don't disagree, Andy, just rattlin' you some.

Practical year probably several more practical calibers, depending on the use and where we trod. I like trail guns and trail gun cartridges. I define them as something between cowboy loads and full house magnum. In this cae I also think of a trail gun as a revolver. Single or double action and starting with a "4". 41, 44 spcl, 44 mag, 45 Colt, that general realm. About a four inch barrel and loaded with a 240 to 280 grain bullet at about 1000 fps. The special will get there in a solid revolver and I have a few of them that I carry often. Hodgeman mentioned the 696, a five shooter with a three inch barrel. That package loaded with any of the 200 to 240 grain hollow points makes a great defensive gun for social occasions. It was one of the best ideas S&W ever had. Look at it this way, if the 45 ACP and its ballistics are a man stopper, the 44 special with modern loading certainly is.The little three inch gun will send 220 grain JHP at 900 to 950 fps, I've shot that gun with such a load many rounds and found no ill effect from it. I load my three inch N frame a little heavier.
    Obviously walking in bear country more horse power would be better especially if we carry a gun of the same size and weight as the 44 mag, why not carry the mag....no argument there. I just think that the 44 special is a very useful cartridge and most of the time we do not need magnum power.
    Yes good cartage no doubt at all and like I said I do like it but for me itís more a single action fun-gun, just too phat vs power for a double action for me. If Iím going double action revolver for those social events I ether want the smaller gun I can get with 38/357, Or, if Iím gonna pack the big phat cylinder N-frame to town I figure I may as well give up some bullet weight to get that extra 2 rounds of 38/357 . . . all the stopping power I need and two more of them too.

There are a lot of other great caliber options out there, 10mm, 41mag, 327mag, 454, pick a 50, the grand ole 44-40 . . . and many obscure offerings that will sure do a fine at job for a guy. But in revolvers, if you donít reload, itís far too limiting ammo wise to not go 357mag or 44mag in my view. Fodder is so easy found to feed ether of those, every corner of the country and in every other country boys pickup truck glove box there is something they will eat. So unless you roll your own itís hard to pick something other than a 357mag or 44mag.

BTW I see you the earth quakes down to MO with you, hope ya didnít get any damage out of it.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Naw....just shook up folks around St. Louis.....None of my primers went off.

So true about the ammo, 357 and 44 mag are about it for country folks around here, except for those who carry the 45 ACP. Of course I carry all three and a few more just in case.