Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who makes the best Match-Grade 308 Win brass?

Default Who makes the best Match-Grade 308 Win brass?

Does anybody have experience with match grade 308 brass? Which has been the most consistent in your experience?

folks seem to like the Nosler brass. Norma has always had a great reputation.

Lapua is a good one and worth checking out, mainer.

I pretty much tried them all including Lapula. But truth be told accuracy was the same with any brand. This was with a sporting rifle.

Default Lc nm

The military Lake City National Match is great if you can find any. I've got a stash from the 60s that is great stuff.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

I have had great results with the Hornady Match brass in .308 Win. I have duplicated those results with a different charge using Lapua brass in the same rifle.

I've resently started using Nosler brass in anything I have that they make brass for. The brass is high quailty and weight sorted to very tight tolerances.

ES variances will show negative results at extended ranges. Quality weight matched brass will aid in keeping ES numbers low resulting in better long range groups.

Thanks for the responses. I do notice a major difference in quality with the Lapua and Norma brass as opposed to the Winchester brass I normally use. Don't get me wrong though, I've had excellent results from Winchester brass, but it took a bit more case prep to get there. I may have to give some 308 Lapua brass a try. I just picked up some Match-grade primers, another can of MR-2000, and I'm awaiting the availability of the new 358 caliber 200 grain Accubond. I've been running 308 brass into the 358 sizer die, so I'd like to try some good quality/consistent components for a longer range 358 load. I have a place where I'd like to test the load out to 400 yds. Plan on doing a sheep hunt with a 358 Winchester.

308 Win
    I suggest just WW Brass and go thru and prep it.
    The best brass I used was Palma Match from 1992 made by WW.
    Suggest 43.6 of IMR 4895
    Rem 9.5 Primer
    165 Sierra GKHP
    or
    180 Nosler Part (Excellent Hunting Load)
    Varget 44.1
    CCI Br2 Primer
    WW Brass

Most Palma Match shooters use WW brass

358 Win..........400 yard is a long shot with this rifle.
    Alaska

I've used, and still use LC NM brass. Works for me.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

It's my understanding that Nosler is just Norma brass stamped with "Nosler" for their ammunition.

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    folks seem to like the Nosler brass. Norma has always had a great reputation.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Quote Originally Posted by Kay9Cop View Post
    It's my understanding that Nosler is just Norma brass stamped with "Nosler" for their ammunition.
    That was my understanding as well, but the Nosler "Custom" brass is significantly nicer than standard Norma brass. Even after a few firings, the Nosler custom looks perfect.

I've had my best luck with 308 using Federal match brass. Their 168 grn match does pretty well for factory ammo as well. Haven't tried Nosler brass but Lapua did good as well. Lake City match is ok if you don't mind dealing with the staked primer pockets, I prefer not to; BUT will if need be.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Lapua is the schnittles!

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    Lake City match is ok if you don't mind dealing with the staked primer pockets, I prefer not to; BUT will if need be.
    I readily admit I don't shoot 308, but I've read that LC NM brass is not staked, only LC SB has staked primers. Is this incorrect?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I'm thinking at 400 yards it really won't matter much in a 358 Mainer, it'll be a combo of Kentucky windage and how secure the "loose nut"behind the trigger is?

I like the Nosler and Lapua choices, however I doubt you can find enough accuracy differences in that load to really consider it important for a hunting load....
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Lapua for the 308. Cabelas had it on sale for $69 and some change per hundred so picked up some more a couple weeks back. Tink they are now out, but back order able at sale price.
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

I have read on many forums that Lapua for the 308, or any caliber, is the only thing the long range shooters will use.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

what gun? gas or bolt gun?

I did end up using Norma brass, but re-sizing it to 358 required way too much work. The original shoulder of the 308 brass got abruptly thick, far more thicker than the neck. Had to painstakingly turn down the larger neck where the 308 shoulder would've originally been. They wouldn't even chamber if you didn't turn down the necks.

I sure hope lapua brass resizes without this issue. Oh well, the norma cases didn't matter so much when those .358" bullets drove clear through that 55" racked moose a few months ago.

I'm a bit confused on the posts about 308 LC Match brass as well. I have virgin Match brass from both the DCM and the CMP and there is nothing wrong with the primer pockets.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast