Thread: Porta Bote and 6 hp outboard

Default Porta Bote and 6 hp outboard

Thinking about picking up a 10 foot Porta Bote and a 6 hp motor to use during moose and PWS black bear hunting. Can anyone offer any feedback on this combination? Will be carrying two adults and day hunting gear.

We travel each spring with a couple who carry a 12' model and 6hp Suzuki. With one person in it, that thing really scoots. Even with two, it planes almost instantly and makes good time. Haven't tried it with 4 people, but it seems like 3 people is more reasonable space-wise. The slight flex here and there is a little disconcerting at first in a "rigid" boat, but lots less than rafts, and you don't notice it after a minute or two. Plenty stable for standing to fish too. Yeah, I'm impressed.

I'm kinda doubtful you'd get a moose, a couple of guys and gear into a 10' version with its 600# capacity rating. My impulse for moose hunting would be to go to the 12' version with your 6hp, and maybe a 14 with a 10hp if distances were great or the water got rough here and there.

Brown Bear,

Sorry but I guess my original post was not as clear as I wanted it to be
    The porta bote would be strapped to our main boat and we would use it to either get to shore when hunting PWS or to cruise around during the day instead of running the big jet boat. Used a Zodiac and a 2.5 hp Suzuki last year and thought it was just a shade to cramped.

I know for sure we couldnt get a moose in it but we can either make a couple of trips or if the water is high enough go back with the Thunderjet.

Your comments are promising, I wasnt expecting it to get on step with 2 people.
    Thanks

I had a 12 footer with 6hp 4 stroke and 14 with 9.8hp 2 stroke. Took them camping down at Kenai lake for years and had loads of fun. Had both boats out on Kenai lake in 3 foot chop with not problem, fun actually. With the 14 I pulled the kids around on a water sport tube, lol.
    I think you'll do just fine with your choice, just don't over power the boat with more than 6 hp because the boat will flex in ways you will not want to experience.
    With the foam filled seat and added flotation it's also unsinkable along with being practically indestructible.
    Like mentioned previously the floor flexing in a little strange at first but you'll get use to that.
    I conceded using porta boat as dink but just not a good fit for our boat.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Brown Bear,

Sorry but I guess my original post was not as clear as I wanted it to be
    The porta bote would be strapped to our main boat and we would use it to either get to shore when hunting PWS or to cruise around during the day instead of running the big jet boat. Used a Zodiac and a 2.5 hp Suzuki last year and thought it was just a shade to cramped.

I know for sure we couldnt get a moose in it but we can either make a couple of trips or if the water is high enough go back with the Thunderjet.

Your comments are promising, I wasnt expecting it to get on step with 2 people.
    Thanks
    Now it's making more sense! And yeah, you ought to do fine, but I bet you'd be fine with a 4hp.