Thread: Lil' Susitna River

Default Lil' Susitna River

I am planning on floating the lil' su this summer but I need to know how much time off to ask for. How long does it usually take to float from the parks bridge down the the boat launch on the lower river. I will be floating it for silvers August. thanks
    klickman

I have a friend who did it in 2 days but I think he was hauling I could be wrong though.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Thumbs up Depends on the boat

I've done it comfortably in three days with a canoe or 4-5 days in a raft. There are a LOT of river miles between the access points because of the curvy nature of the river. It is a good trip especially if you have kids tagging along. Bring lots of Chartreuse/silver blade and Pink/silver blade #3 vibrax and you will have a ball!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

We did it a few years back in four days. There were a couple of canoes, a kayak, and a raft. The canoes and kayak would run ahead and get a camping site picked out and the raft with the gear would show up later to set up camp. Four days is plenty of time. Could probably do it in three with no problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

I did that float a long time ago with some friends and it took 3 days. I don't remember stopping a lot to fish, either. That's a slow, winding river. Your toughest thing will be knowing how to judge where you are relative to where you want to be. We had a plane to meet. We missed it. That left us a very long walk down Burma Road to Big Lake, and a very muddy drive back in to get the girls.

There are turns that you could get out of the boat and walk 15 seconds through the woods and be back on the river, but it'll take a half hour or forty five minutes to float around that same corner. There are lots of corners like that. It was good fun though. Really good fun.

I suspect these days you'll see lots of motor boat traffic. We didn't have that problem in the late 70's.

How many river miles is it? I am going to try it w/my drift boat.
    klickman

If I remember correctly, it's about 40 river miles from the Parks to Burma Landing.

It takes about 10 hours of paddeling in a canoe. I have done it twice and both times were single day trips.

You could measure it using the "measure" feature on Google Earth. I almost measured it, but I became more interested in another area for a long kayak trip.
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

I'll have to try google earth. thanks

I just clicked it off using the measuring tool in Mapsource. It measured just over 43 miles, give or take. Sure is a twisty little unit... considering it's only about 18 miles as the crow flies. I think when we floated it, drift speed was about 3-3.5 mph. We covered a leisurely 10 miles per day in the raft, had plenty of time to fish, and never felt rushed. Certainly doable in a day if one was paddling, and didn't stop to do too much fishing.

it is a winding SOB I am thinking three days will be perfect. We won't be rushed plus it can be done on a long weekend. Thanks guys for your help.
    Klickman

Default 3 Days

My son and some friends did this float last summer with rafts, and it took a good solid 3 days with extra hours.

Took us 2 days in canoes with 3 people and all the comforts of home. Yes on the 40 miles. Hardest part of trip is passing up all the wonderfull looking spots in the first few miles of floating from Houston. Seems like most float trips are all sort of like that. Use a gps and you can track your progress and eliminate some of the worrying about "How much farther" to the take out. Listen for boats and stay out of their way, they can't manuver (any better than I can spell) as well as floating craft. Have fun and take an extra day off work anyway.