Thread: Fairbanks air charters options

Default Fairbanks air charters options

Please tell me who you like for an air charter out of Fairbanks. If there is someone you dislike please pm me too.

I have a huge list with names already but want all the info I can gather.

Thanks!

First question is What do you want to hunt & What range do you want flown into ???

Many guys from here will only hunt in certain areas & wont or cant go into others.

Striker Overly of Alaska Arctic Adventures does a good job but mostly hunts north of the Brooks.

40 Mile in Tok is topnotch but they will more than likely be booked soild after the draw results.

RJ Simington

Wright's would be my first choice.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

stid I was iterally just looking at those pics as I seached or Wrights.

Wrights has tons of good reviews. Sorry I should have mentioned I drew DM827 bou and want to combo it with moose (need to move once most likely).

I could also go out of Delta junction (might be better to fly to Anchoraga then Delta then into 20a and save flying north to Fairbanks then back south to 20a.

Stid26787can they land in areas most will not? Ie will they get me away from pressured areas?

There are only so many strips in 20A and they are all used during hunting season. It's a popular area.

Quote Originally Posted by DonV View Post
    Stid26787can they land in areas most will not? Ie will they get me away from pressured areas?
    Sir,, I don't hunt 20A. From what I have heard any strip will have pressure.
    Founding Member

OK thanks, I have "heard" some guys claim their pilots can land in "secret" airstrips that most others will not land in? All bs?

Quote Originally Posted by DonV View Post
    OK thanks, I have "heard" some guys claim their pilots can land in "secret" airstrips that most others will not land in? All bs?
    Big difference in where a Cub can land and where a 206 or Helio can operate. If you are wanting more remote, might start shopping for a Cub Driver.
    Founding Member

All the "secret" spots are used by guides in that area. I'm sure there might be one spot left, but I doubt it

Stid, I agree with you on most things but wrights is not one of them...once shame on you, twice shame on me...3rd time aint getting the opportunity! Wrights wont be getting that opportunity...enough said!

I should have been moer clear on "secret" very poor choice on words.

I was simlpy wanting to get dropped of in a good moose area that does not get hunters every year all season (2-3 groups).

I am realizing this is not going to happen. My thought was just find a decent spot in land. When lokoing at it from charter point of view, NO WAY I would risk the plane, a wreck, FAA investigation, hurting hunter and getting sued, landing someplace new etc. I do not blame them. I was asking way to much I now realize.

the real problem is you and everyone else, myself included, wants that very thing..to be dropped off in a honey hole, loaded with atleast one legal moose....I'd say tons but these days tons isnt the norm.

hiking 20 miles from a strip just to find sheep may be a labor of love in my life right now, but all be ****ed when I walk acrossed a strip closer that the pilot refuses to land on not because he cant, a guide is in the area, or any othe reason than its a honey hole he doesnt want hunted 'too' hard. this one happend on a hunt.....I looked at my stick and string and looked at the guy with a crossed albiet slightly puzzled deer in the headlights, ticked off moose ready to stomp look.

It can be done, but posting on a forum like this and getting is not likely going to happen, though it can get you closer sometimes. and you may get lucky and find someone willing to spill some information....good luck with it all! Hope to see some great pics afterwards!!!

Thanks, I was more hoping to find a charter willing to do this, I doubt I could actually pick a spot off a map. I agree though, possible but highly unlikely. I would be MAD if I hiked across another airstrip!

Prepare to be mad.
    Places to land all over out there.

was thinking.....why not go through Mike or Larry and let them set this part of it up..the where to go and who to fly with...or atleast help you narrow things down a bit, give you good advice etc.....

Do you have Mikes recent book?

You might want to consider Andy at Shadow Air. He used to fly for Wrights, but is business for himself now, with a Super Cub and C185. If you can't find his number, he can be reached through Air Arctic's booking office at 474-3550. As a professional pilot myself, I have a lot of respect for him.

I have booked already with Mt Hayes Air, thanks guys!