Thread: good luck hunting west coast of kenai???

Default good luck hunting west coast of kenai???

im looking to buy some land around anchor point. anyone have good stories or seen anything out there. from small game to bears. just curious about the area

You haven't been on here very long and almost every post is you asking us about different parts of the state, what kind of game is there, how to hunt it, etc. There are quite a few gas stations between Fort Rich and Anchor Point, so getting there before you run out of fuel shouldn't be too much of an issue. Take a weekend and go have a look for yourself. The reg book, Alaska Gazateer, a good set of binos, and some good boots will get you a long way. Stir up some conversation with some locals, maybe visit an outdoor store on the peninsula and speak with them. I know it can seem overwhelming when you first get here, but this group is a huge pool of knowledge for anything and everything across the state (not including myself, I'm an expert on nothing). Nine times out of ten, they're more than willing to help, but when you come on here asking about everything under the sun and haven't gotten out to see for yourself, lips get tight pretty quick. I'm honestly not trying to be rude, just trying to keep you from losing one of your biggest assets before your first hunting season here.

ill have to do that when i get back from afghanistan. i just thought someone might have heard of that area. thanks for the information

Anchor point is about 15 minutes from Homer. It's windy down there; since it's along the coast. Usually pretty cool in the summer and a little warmer then other spots in the winter. Good fishing around this area for kings and halibut, but need a good sized boat. People do it with small boats, but I would not recommend it.

Hunting for moose isn't good right now, lot's of brown bear but can't hunt them. Black bear are out and about in good numbers if you can find a good spot they frequent.

Quote Originally Posted by 33outdoorsman View Post
    Anchor point is about 15 minutes from Homer. It's windy down there; since it's along the coast. Usually pretty cool in the summer and a little warmer then other spots in the winter. Good fishing around this area for kings and halibut, but need a good sized boat. People do it with small boats, but I would not recommend it.

Hunting for moose isn't good right now, lot's of brown bear but can't hunt them. Black bear are out and about in good numbers if you can find a good spot they frequent.
    All of what he said plus I will add that there is plenty of small game to be had.
    Pick your days and you can fish off Anchor Point easily from most skiffs, though a launch is expensive. Some folks use inflatables with good success; even kayaks. Plenty (too much) black bear on the peninsula.

I put my 18' bayrunner in at the Anchor and either take it out there or on the beach....nice thing about a smaller boat. There can be decent hunting to the east, tho the big (bull) moose population is down. Saw brown bear tracks right on the beach last year.

Quote Originally Posted by DucksAndDogs View Post
    You haven't been on here very long and almost every post is you asking us about different parts of the state, what kind of game is there, how to hunt it, etc. There are quite a few gas stations between Fort Rich and Anchor Point, so getting there before you run out of fuel shouldn't be too much of an issue. Take a weekend and go have a look for yourself. The reg book, Alaska Gazateer, a good set of binos, and some good boots will get you a long way. Stir up some conversation with some locals, maybe visit an outdoor store on the peninsula and speak with them. I know it can seem overwhelming when you first get here, but this group is a huge pool of knowledge for anything and everything across the state (not including myself, I'm an expert on nothing). Nine times out of ten, they're more than willing to help, but when you come on here asking about everything under the sun and haven't gotten out to see for yourself, lips get tight pretty quick. I'm honestly not trying to be rude, just trying to keep you from losing one of your biggest assets before your first hunting season here.
    I've wanted to say this the last 10 posts I put up!!! Good call Ducks
    Missing the greatest state in the Union!

Guys, it's clear that tfaudree5 is in Afghanistan and is dreaming of Alaska. Doesn't have much or maybe no out-and-about experience in our state and wants to plan for his (her?) return. Wouldn't you?
    Thank you and God bless you for your service tf. I hope you find your piece of Alaska upon your return.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Guys, it's clear that tfaudree5 is in Afghanistan and is dreaming of Alaska. Doesn't have much or maybe no out-and-about experience in our state and wants to plan for his (her?) return. Wouldn't you?
    Thank you and God bless you for your service tf. I hope you find your piece of Alaska upon your return.

Me too. Charlie Mike.

Indeed....THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE...!!!

his. thanks everyone. thinking about hunting and fishing in alaska is what makes the days go by faster over here. see you all when we get back. god bless

Absolutely^^^^^right on Sayak
    some guys on this forum just need to lighten up.People join this forum to gain knowledge of Alaska and Alaska outdoors,who cares if the same question gets asked all the time,so what if they havent searched.Does it really hurt to answer someones question or give them advice.Here is someone overseas fighting for your freedom have some respect....
    tfaudree5 ask any question you want as many times as you need....
    dave

im pretty excited to come back to alaska and get some hunting in.if i do get this property that im looking at ill be spending all winter getting the baiting things together. this spring will be my first time hunting and baiting black bears

TF, Anchor Point area is not a huge producer of black bear, and setting up a bait station thereabouts will be challenging at best; lots of private land and hunting pressure there. I'll be hunting bear throughout the summer and fall in the Seldovia area, might set up a bait site, haven't decided yet. Shoot me a message sometime, pretty easy to get on bears over there.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

i think im going to end up the nikiski area ? whereever i can find some remote land with not many people around at all

Lot of land for sale around Nikiski....

yeah thats where im thinking im going to end up . is that a decent area ?

Quote Originally Posted by tfaudree5 View Post
    yeah thats where im thinking im going to end up . is that a decent area ?
    You can find some nice areas out north. Just like you can find some down south in my direction. I have noticed that a few places out north have pretty good well water.....something to think about. For most people it just depends on how far from town you want to be. I live about 25 miles from Kenai. Have always loved being way out of town. Still couldn't pay me to live IN town.....especially during red season. But with gas prices now at $4.31 it's starting to hurt a little. When you have to fill up about once a week, and now it will be close to, if not $80. it really starts you to thinking......

i live on ft richardson so im mainly just going to use it to hunt. maybe do some camping in the summer