Thread: How many "Open Carry"?

Default How many "Open Carry"?

I'm just wondering how many of you "open carry" and what do you do with all the stares, comments, and women rushing their kids off the streets thinking you are some sort of wild west gunfighter come to town to start trouble?

I am wondering this because I am thinking of a new holster and one of the options is an open carry. While it is legal in Alaska to carry openly, "polite society" frowns on such behavior. How do you deal with other people and their opinions? Do you get much flack from people?

Default JPN

I carry, but never once openly, except I always do while in wilderness.

For the same reason that I never flip off or honk at other drivers that might "deserve it", or never laugh (out loud, at least) at teenage boys whose pants are so low that they started falling off 3 inches earlier and they're proudly showing me the top 6 inches of their underwear.

There's enough JPN (just plain nuts) people out there that adopting these types of behaviors would quite likely limit my own lifespan. That's my opinion anyways.

Tis true, FamilyMan and the thought of someone who, in some warped version of their own reality, thought that it might be fun to challenge my skills with a gun had crossed my mind. That is the reason for the query...if there were enough answers that said "I get hassled a lot" then my decision would be made. Your insights are well-taken, FM...thanks for the reply.

I to only carry concealed when in the city or public eyes unless I am out in the woods. I have never seen a need to advertize that I can defend myself. If someone needs to show a level of potential force then they are probably somewhere they should not be. That does not make a man a lesser man it makes aware of his surrounding.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

I used to do it very often in Arizona when it was the only legal option there was. I got a permit as soon as they were offered because I see no advantage to having a sign that says "shoot that guy first" on my hip. Took the Alaska class within a month of getting here but had to twiddle my thumbs a couple months before I could send in to get the permit though. In that time I didnít carry much but when I did I was surprised by the negative reactions of Alaskans . . . you would think Alaskans more used to seeing guns than Arizonans but such isnít the case.

In any case I see no reason to open carry when I can legally cover it up . . . I donít play poker with mirrored glasses on so why should I tip my hand where my life could be on the line. Iím not shy about packin, donít give a rip what people think about my gun because itís not their business and I did it for years when that was my only option and got used to the looks. But I believe it is tactically very foolish if you have an option to get it out of sight and out of mind. Out in the woods I pack in a Guides Choice, sometimes open sometimes covered depending mostly on the weather and such.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I think it is best left for people to not show your cards before the deal and so it's best that they don't know that I am carrying a weapon unless I need to use it. I don't care what people think about me carrying but prefer not to put unwanted attention to the fact that I am.

My thought's exactly.

BEE

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabliss View Post
    I think it is best left for people to not show your cards before the deal and so it's best that they don't know that I am carrying a weapon unless I need to use it. I don't care what people think about me carrying but prefer not to put unwanted attention to the fact that I am.

In open carry on the hiking trails above Anchorage. I have never had a single person say anything to me about it. Even the soccer moms with the half dozen kids running around in circles all over the place have said nothing about it.

22 years of open carry in Barbie hippy central and not a single comment.

No one stares or for the most part even notices open carry here.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Default conceal carry

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabliss View Post
    I think it is best left for people to not show your cards before the deal
    I once took a conceal-carry class. They taught to never pull it out and wave it around, but instead don't pull it out until the moment that you need to fire - and then do so.

I liked that they also taught of some of the ramifications of shooting in public - that even if you did so to try to save someone else's life, you at that moment can become somewhat responsible for however the events turn out; even if someone else does something bad/in-error.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    I once took a conceal-carry class. They taught to never pull it out and wave it around, but instead don't pull it out until the moment that you need to fire - and then do so.

I liked that they also taught of some of the ramifications of shooting in public - that even if you did so to try to save someone else's life, you at that moment can become somewhat responsible for however the events turn out; even if someone else does something bad/in-error.
    Yes itíll stay hid until I believe my or somebodyís life is in danger and if I believe life is in danger I wonít be wavering it around trying to change hearts and minds at that point. Ticks me off watching movies where people grab a gun and start giving orders . . . if you grab a gun the talking is over, you dun left talking behind and now the gunfight is underway, if your not fully committed to that DONĎT grab the gun in the first place!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I don't open carry in town...seems like a good way to generate hassles needlessly. My advice is that it just isn't worth it at best and a strategic disadvantage at worst.

In the woods, I'll carry in the open- but in the woods I generally am carrying a hunting rifle or a shotgun most of the time.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

My thanks to all who have replied. And the results did not surprise me - I felt the same way as most of you. However, just for the sake of arguement, I put it out there to see. I do and will continue as I have been, carrying concealed in public. I don't do a whole lot of traipsing through the underbrush, but when I do, my trusty Mossberg is with me the whole time.

I cannot for the life of me carry a pistol in a inside the waistband holster. I wear a paddle holster outside my pants. When I want to cover it up I throw a coat or shirt over it, but I don't go to any extraordinary measures to hide it. I've never been questioned about it in any circumstance, even when I know it's visible to others.

Pretty much the same answer as AKDOUG I usually carry an XD40 in a Blackhawk CQC level 2 retention holster on a paddle, I usually just wear it and throw a loose unbuttoned overshirt over it when Im trying to be a bit more courtious IE walmart or something like that. But I have never and I mean never had a confrontation from somebody who felt uneasy or said anything to anybody about me carrying a gun. If I for some reason need to be no BS concealed I carry eith my XD40 Subcompact in an IWB holster "not very Comfortable hence the open carry of the XD service" or a Ruger .380 LCP in my front pocket as a BUG till I get a real gun. So my opinion for everyday, Carry Open with a option for a coverup is tops for me, For a night on the town with the lady carry concealed around them upity types
    RLTW
    HUNT HARD HUNT SAFE
    WILL

I never carry openly unless I'm dinkin around outdoors. Even then in all probability I'm also carrying one you don't see.
    Now what ?

I really dont think its about what people think about you carrying open, its like the others said" why tip your hand". The presentation of a weapon to a possible attacker is a great advantage and a shock in most cases. As would announcing to someone going toe to toe "ummm, excuse me but I wanted to let you know I have martial arts experience"...LOL

packin heat out in the open around the city is for cowardly nerds and weirdos if yah ask me. It does draw attention. I've seen guys get called every name in the book (and rightfully so).

I had a scumbag point a 44 magnum to my face during a confrontation (which he started by verbally threatening me). When I took him up on the offer, he pulled it out because he was "scurd". It still didn't stop me from trying rip him out of his vehicle and wipe the parking lot with his skull. Coward, all I was in was a t-shirt and a pair of jeans. The stranger must have been on drugs, or had some sort of brain problem was my best guess.

Out in the back country, not a problem. Whenever I enter lodges, I leave my guns back in the boat, snowmachine, or in my pack.