Thread: 44 mag qusetion

Default 44 mag qusetion

Ok so I'm in the market for a hand cannon and the 44 mag is the most comfortable in my hands. I tried a 454 casual and it was just to much in the short amount of time i had with it. So my question is now what gun. I like the portability of the short 2.5 in barrel but I am concerned with the velocity loss in such a short barrel. Dose any one have a chart that gives the fps in the 44 mag with different barrel lengths. I did a Google surch and just cant find one. Thanks

What guns are you talking about? The Ruger Alaskan in 44 or 454 is the same gun. the 45 Colt/454 Casull seems to be less sensitive to short barrel but with either on you'll lose quite a bit. If you are set on a 2.5 inch barrel, I'd go for the 454. You could shoot a 350-400gr .452 bullet instead of a 320 .429.

my .02
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Medic, take a look at this page: http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/44mag.html

I've got a 4" redhawk for sale with a Diamond D's Guides choice holster.
    See the add in swap and sell. (I'll have it posted in a couple hours)

I've got 4", 5.5" 7.5" Redhawk's and S&W's, I like the 5" to 5.5" the best. Not so much for velocity but for balance.
    Everybody's arm strength and hand sizes are different, so you kind of need to handle the different ones and see what you like.
    "The older I get, the better I was."

What do you plan to use the gun for? CC, hunting, or protection could have a big bearing or the one I would want.

Buffalo Bore has the FPS/FPE for the different barrel lengths using their ammo
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Im looking at something to take out hiking and fishing. (after practice) looks like a 4in is the best choice. Thanks

Sent from my Behold II using Tapatalk

Medic,

I have a new 629 with the 4in barrel that your welcome to take for a test drive some time. Just don't try to buy it from me after you fall in love. It was my fathers day gift last year.
    Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Chinese proverb