Thread: ds175 sheep hunt

Default ds175 sheep hunt

I'm fairly new on the forum under my name but have been searching and posting through my husband for awhile. I was extremely lucky this year and drew the DS175 any ram sheep hunt. I was wondering if anyone had any experience to lend in hunting the area. I'll be with both my husband and father-in-law, so I wont be alone. I've been doing research and have found a couple ways in, but was wondering what the opinions are in terms of fly-in or ATV. If so, where would you come in from? Also, does anyone know if I could get the GPS coordinates for this area anywhere? Thanks!

Call Mike Meekins. Line something up with him to fly in.

GPS coordinates for what exactly? The hunt area is pretty well defined by ridgelines and the knik glacier. I wouldn't worry about that. And I wouldn't expect coords to any secret spots.

Congrats on your tag! I'm envious. Make the most of it. Good luck, and welcome to the forum (officially, anyway).
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

I was just in there five short months ago chasing a goat around!! PM sent
    "f/64 and be there"

You can ATV to Metal Creek. You can get a ways up but it gets gnarly quick. If it were me I would book with Meekins Air Service. They will get you into places you aren't going to get with an ATV.

Been a while since I hunted the area. Used to hunt it hard in the 90's. I took a big sheep out of Metal in '93. Missed a couple of shots at a 43/44 incher at the pass between Friday and Metal a couple of years later. I'm just trying to whet your appetite and establish some "cred".
    With that said, I would recommend flying into Grasshopper and hunting from there. The sheep/ram population is never great and they can be in many different areas. From Grasshopper you can hunt north of Mt Marcus Baker if the creek is not too high or you can go up creek and hunt there and over to Metal. I once went straight up into Paradise Valley. It is a large gain in elevation and there are usually more goats than sheep but you never know.
    The only other option I would recommend is flying into upper Friday Creek strip and walking over the pass into Metal Creek. I have seen hunters coming up and over from Carbon and Coal Creeks and looking down on Metal Glacier but I have never hunted on the Matanuska side.
    Let me know if you want any other information.

You can ride up as far as you are willing with an atv and hike from there...that metal crk sheep aint an easy hunt like people make it out to be. Better get ready for 8-14 miles after you get off the wheeler! then from that point, it depends on how big a ram you want!
    Missing the greatest state in the Union!

Thanks for all the info! Yeah I wasn't looking for coordinates to anyone's secret squirrel spot but for the boundaries of the hunting area. After reading some of the replies on here and talking to my husband I think we're going to do this right and fly in. Got lots of books and video to keep me occupied for a while lol. Thanks again, any and all help is greatly appreciated!