Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DM 538 Tustumena Lake, Indian Creek.

Default DM 538 Tustumena Lake, Indian Creek.

Does any one have any pointers for hunting moose on the back side of Tustumena Lake. Go High or Go Low?

I'm lookin for similar info cause of my caribou tag. Guess I'll see you out there!

Not much info on Tustumena out there. Do you live on the peninsula? I got a buddy with a plane, gonna do some fly by's.

Check my response to the other guy in this thread...

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...=1#post1082357
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

They answered to my thread a little more layed out some options. I also put Tustumena in the search option and found a little info although I had to dig. I believe Ill hit up Brian M on his thursday night pizza offer and see what I can find out there. Good luck!

Go High is my recommendation to do that you will need horses. As JOAT said lots of beetle kill down low and the moose are getting to where they don't even like walking through it. Tustumena Lake area used to be a world-class moose hunt and has now changed to a world-class brown bear hunt (if there would ever be a hunt). There are still some nice bulls around, but they aren't easy to find and to be honest flying before you go in will greatly improve your chances. Going in blind with the smaller numbers of moose there are and not really knowing the area will be tough to have any kind of a chance of success.

Plus by going high if you don't find moose there will be lot's of black bear out on the berry hills and it's always fun to go after them.

Forget cruising the lake shore or hunting low, the brown bears have taken over.

Horseback is nice, but expensive. The Kenai National Wildlife Refuge is the land manager and they can provide you with a list of licensed transporters. ph#262-7021 Bon Eddy (sp?) out of Homer usually sets up a camp down at Bear Creek and shuttles hunters into the mountains from there on horses. He can provide a boat shuttle service across the lake to and from the boat launch area on the Kasilof so if you use him you don't even need a boat. But there may be other transporters that come in Hanson’s horse trail out of Funny River Road, ask the refuge.

The inexpensive, though labor intensive way I have seen this hunt successfully done before is:

Boat to the northeast corner of Tustumena Lake .
    At the Lake Emma trailhead sign pull your boat completely out of the water using a comealong and log rollers under the boat hull to help put it back in the water. Have your boat out of the water with 3 feet of beach showing between the lake and transon. It may be calm when you get there, but the rollers smash up on the beach pretty good there with a SE wind out of Kachemak Bay.
    Hike about 2.5 miles up Lake Emma trail to Lake Emma . This is a good, maintained trail you can’t miss it or lose it, has a trailhead sign.
    At Lake Emma is a free, first come, first serve public use cabin. (This is where I would stay; if someone comes by and needs a roof share the cabin with them, they will do the same for you and they are probably locals with knowledge.)
    Twice, I know of moose that were shot and backpacked out of the huge swamp at the far end of Lake Emma that you can see on google earth.
    Now for the hard part…you shuttle that moose back down the trail to your boat, but most of it is downhill.
    Hang it high or tarp it, a lot of brown bears in the Indian Creek and Glacier Creek, areas in this section of Tustumena. Did I mention there were a lot of brown bears down low ? It will take a few trips for a couple of guys to pack the moose out if you end up at the Tustumena at the end of the day crash in my cabin that is right next to the Lake Emma trailhead with the green roof.

coming down Lake Emma trail to Tustumena

lakeemma14.JPG

Lake Emma public use cabin

lakeemma18.JPG

From what I recall it is more like 3.6 miles to Emma lake from Tusty. I also new a guy that killed a bull up at Emma and was a nightmare to get it down to the lake. I think it took him 9 trips. Not saying it can't be done, but it is a long hump. Just make sure if you do it this way, you have a lot of buddies set up to help you.

Does any one have any info on the area around Green lake next to Tustumena Glacier. That is the only lake up high that a plane can land on.

Quote Originally Posted by walssj View Post
    Does any one have any info on the area around Green lake next to Tustumena Glacier. That is the only lake up high that a plane can land on.
    What kind of info are you looking for on green lake,
    i have hunted there several times so if you need some info drop me a pm and ill see what i can do to help you out
    Dave

I cant figure out the PM but walssj@yahoo.com i am looking for any moose hunting info in that area.

I cant figure out the PM but walssj@yahoo.com i am looking for any moose hunting info in that area.
    headin off to work but ill email you when I get home and hopefully be able to help you out
    Dave

Unless you knew a big bull was up there, you wouldn't want to fly in to Green Lake to hunt moose. You can land on Green, Twin, and Iceberg. But most people fly into Green as a way to access sheep country.

Hey everybody!
    I was wondering if anyone had any experience or information to share on DM 534 Timberline Lake moose hunt. I was so lucky to draw the permit, and I am getting a lot of conflicting information, such as awesome trophy area ranging to brownies have decimated the moose population. Generally I hear it is a great experience just being out there. With my personality being what it is even if Fish and Game told me there was one moose on the peninsula I wouldn't be swayed a bit-I'm going out there on my hunt come september! I believe this is commonly refferred to as Tustumena Ridge. I was looking for an outfit that could pack the meat in and out as ATV are not permitted. I enjoy reading the different posts from everyonethis is a good thread

If anyone has nfo about the DM534 hunt you can email me at
    hanshandersen@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by outinthestix91 View Post
    I believe this is commonly refferred to as Tustumena Ridge. I was looking for an outfit that could pack the meat in and out as ATV are not permitted. I enjoy reading the different posts from everyonethis is a good thread
    They call it "The Bench" and for many, many years it used to be a phenomenal area for great trophy moose. Unfortunately, from every report I've heard, the bears have pretty much taken it over now. I know a good hunter that drew that tag last year and saw NO moose and tons of bears. I will not say that you won't be able to find a nice big bull up there, as I'm sure there are still a few, but it may be difficult. There are a couple different guys in the area that will pack you in on horses up the Pollard horse trail but I can't remember who they are now. A call to F&G may help with that. If it's at all possible, it would be a real good idea to try and fly it a few times as the season approaches before you commit to one particular area.

Good Luck...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by outinthestix91 View Post
    Hey everybody!
    I was wondering if anyone had any experience or information to share on DM 534 Timberline Lake moose hunt. I was so lucky to draw the permit, and I am getting a lot of conflicting information, such as awesome trophy area ranging to brownies have decimated the moose population. Generally I hear it is a great experience just being out there. With my personality being what it is even if Fish and Game told me there was one moose on the peninsula I wouldn't be swayed a bit-I'm going out there on my hunt come september! I believe this is commonly refferred to as Tustumena Ridge. I was looking for an outfit that could pack the meat in and out as ATV are not permitted. I enjoy reading the different posts from everyonethis is a good thread
    Bondietti out of Homer has outfitted out of Bear Creek for a long time. I don't know if he will be there this year or not but if he was, I would use him.
    http://peninsulaclarion.com/stories/...nt003001.shtml

Too bad about the Moose hunting around Tustumena.

This guy was less than a mile from the lake shore...2001(ish)....

the moose in that area will usually be very big, and very smart, and up high. expect to see brown bears like everybody said. I would get up high and glass where trees thin out. Do bring a small chainsaw ....seriuosly.

Another outfitter (Alex Kime) is located in Cooper Landing. Alaskahorseman.com. He use to pack people in from Harvey Lake.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast