Thread: Kings Bay DG340

Smile Kings Bay DG340

My better half and I drew this tag! First time goat hunting for the both of us! Is there any good access? I have searched the archives. Is there any good air access or is it better to get a water taxi to take us to the end of Kings Bay? I know to climb and glass the hillsides. The topo maps show the area to be fairly steep. Anyway, you guys and gals have any additional ideas? You can pm if you don't want the world to know! Thanks. Mr. G
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." John Muir

Does Scenic Mountain Air out of Moose Pass service this area? If so, has anybody used there services?

I could have sworn I responded to this already, but I don't see my post. I've been in there, but only in the winter. There might be a way to land a Cub on the braided part of the lower Kings River. Otherwise it'd have to be a wheel/ski plane onto the Wolverine Glacier. The only float plane access would be into Paradise Lakes and hike over the pass onto the Wolverine Glacier. I've done that on a snowmachine and it wasn't too steep. Then, there's the option of climbing up from Kings Bay with access by boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Grayling View Post
    Does Scenic Mountain Air out of Moose Pass service this area? If so, has anybody used there services?
    I think BrianM did a trip with them a couple years ago. I know they fly to Upper Paradise Lake, which puts you close to the hike over the pass.

Doug,

I appreciate your time and input. I got ahold of Scenic mountain and they do service the area. I got a sheep last year, but never been goat hunting. The wife and I both put in individually and somehow drew the same tag. So this will be here first Alaskan hunt. I want the experience to be special for her. She gets first shot. Thanks again.

Mr. G

Can they get in there on wheels? If so, that would be cool. The hike up and over the ridge I mentioned is really nice. If the weather is good, it's one of the most beautiful places I've been. There's a research building up there and an old Skidoo Alpine broken down sitting on a rock up there. I bet they flew it in because I doubt they could have rode it there

I will be heading in soon to hopefully redeem my permit. Does anybody have experience crossing Kings river? I cant tell much from the Google map.

Quote Originally Posted by wesmeister View Post
    I will be heading in soon to hopefully redeem my permit. Does anybody have experience crossing Kings river? I cant tell much from the Google map.
    Bring a pack raft. Talked to a friend that was in there this spring bear hunting and he said the channels were too deep for him to wade them so he had to drag his canoe across the sand bars and float the channels.

Lucky dog. I've been puting in for that tag for years, no luck. If or when I draw it, I'd access the area from kings bay with a boat. Walk in, glass, spot the goat you want and climb., I have a big boat, but nO tag ;( I've never flown the area, as I don't have access to a plane.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytguy View Post
    Lucky dog. I've been puting in for that tag for years, no luck. If or when I draw it, I'd access the area from kings bay with a boat. Walk in, glass, spot the goat you want and climb., I have a big boat, but nO tag ;( I've never flown the area, as I don't have access to a plane.

Good luck
    Why not get the registration tag for that area? RG340.

Went into King's Bay last Friday to do some spotting for my buddy's tag. Sitting at the outflow of King's River those mountains look like one should spot the goat BEFORE climbing up them. We spent a couple of hours checking everything out and taking note of the surrounding area. My plan is aerial recon prior to taking a walk up in that area. As time is my greatest limitation I've got to know where they're at the first time we head uphill. Looks like an epic adventure in the making.

Ive thought about it.. but dont think i can pull it off in a weekend. I been going to valdez the past 2 years the day before the opener.. climb all day.. sleep on top and at first light pick my goat.. come down and back at work.. Kings bay would be a 2-3 mile walk in after a 35 miles boat ride.. If I dont get one in the valdez area.. I may just do the RG340..

Wes, I pm'd you already but your out in the mountains. We are flying with Scenic Mt. Air the first week of October. Never been to Kings Bay but topo maps make it look very challenging. Got back a week ago with a ram that my neighbor harvested. His first big game animal and a ram at that. Working on getting caribou tag filled, but really excited about the goat hunt.