Thread: Summer Hunting?

Default Summer Hunting?

I'm new to Ak, and was wondering if there are any animals to hunt in the summer months? In Idaho we would go after ground squirrels and coyotes.

In unit 16 black bear season never closes. If they are off the rivers, they almost always make a good sausage bear.
    Then there are the tourists, but it fleece and release only, so far.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Don't forget the mosquitos, they are open season all summer long. LOL

rabbit season is open most areas. As well as ground squirell, but theres a salvage requirement for those. They are not a varmint up here. Also lots of areas open for bears year round.

Better get the regs out and just do the research. THere is actually a fair amount of summer hunting you can do.

I just got to thinking about it. part of june and july is about the only time in the summer with limited hunting oppurtunity.

While it may just be an old wives tail I've always herd that you shouldn't eat rodents in a month without an R in it(Not in june July august, but September would be OK.) I know probably one of those old sayings right? Well those old sayings got old because there was some truth behind them. Rabbit fever was a very real and deadly disease and I'm not sure I'd want to test fate over the validity of an "old saying".

Porcupine is usually a year round opportunity too. I'd take my bow (or even a spear!) though, not much sport with a firearm.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Porcupine

I've wanted to hunt porcupines - figured it would be good skills building for my 13 yr old.
    I assume skinning is tricky - open up on the belly?
    However, are they any good to eat? I don't want to kill for the sake of it... I can always have the boy shoot at 3Ds

Thumbs up

We discussed a few porcupine recipies in this thread - http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ight=porcupine
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Porky Skinning

When i was in high school I worked at a hide shop in N. idaho, there was a retired fellow who would drive around several western states picking up road killed porkys. He who bring us literally a truckload at a time, man I dreaded seeing that guy show up. Anyways, yes up the belly. We always started by pulling out the guard hair on the back, there is a good market for it in arts and crafts, then cut the feet off, make an incision from the rear end to the throat, not to deep of course and then from your centerline make incisions out all four legs and another around the head. From there it is pretty easy skinning the hide off, just be careful the quills aren't to pleasant pulling out. We would then nail the hides to half sheets of plywood flesh the fat off and dry them. People would buy them to use the quills and hairs to make some pretty neat native american traditional art.

Back in Texas we never hunted rabbits or squirells in the summer due to worms and other potential viruses. Just wait until late fall or early winter to pop the critters which allowed time for the worms or whatever to get killed off due to the cold. I would think the same would apply up here in Alaska, so I ain't gonna take any chances. Not unless you go for the rabbit fur to add to the collection of fly-tying materials.

Hunting porcupines? I've heard folks do that up here for the meat. They are actually good eating?

Default rabbits

U can hunt rabbits up here all year unlike down south we have hares not rabbits. between that and the climate the chances of disease is much slimmer. Althouhg there have been a couple cases of tuliremia (rabbit fever) up around fairbanks. it is genereally not previlent up here. just make sure to check the liver and lungs for spotting. If they look heathy u should be fine. Ss for porcupine they can be tasty or disgusting. it all depends on what they are eating. if they are around primarily evergreen trees (spruce trees) they tend to be oily and rather gross. If u get them when they are feeding on primarily leaves and berries they can be good. the biggest problem u are going ot have in the summer is fighting the undergrowth. it is hard enough in the winter when there or no leaves and and just snow. but once everything fills in usually becomes very difficult to navigate with poor visibilty. u will have better luck the further north u go. i used to hunt about an hour north of glenallen and would clean up. would not be unusual to pull 10-15 rabbits from the area. me and my roomate have had great success on the palmer hay flats in the winter. althouhg would not try it until the snow flies and the water freezes. considering most of the walk in is over swamps, ponds, and muskeg. would not make for a fun walk in the sumer.

Hopefully the upcoming porpoise season will be during the summer.

the species i like to "hunt" in summer is NORTHERN PIKE bowfishing . It is such a blast chasing those around. also helps decrease pressure on trout and salmon with them gone. no crowds!
    shot two 24" ones this spring so far.
    another thing i want to chase but is "trapping with my bow" .....MARMOTS
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

made another quick trip (about 90 minutes)for pike.....4 fish seen....3 shots......no fish
    shot at 5 cans and got 3
    biggest pike scooted out behind me from brush on bank 25-28" size
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER