Thread: Would you join a Reloading Club???

Default Would you join a Reloading Club???

I am trying to form a club..
    What I want is a world class reloading room where members can come and use all the best gear and collaborate.

What I see is setting up AT LEAST a dozen stations with single stage and progressive machines, including pistol, rifle shotgun... Possibly a nice casting area, a couple or three rooms to isolate the noisy work like tumbling, the hot work, casting and the general loading area.
    Add to that a coffee pot, and a library of dies, as well as literature..., a store of consumables including powder by the ounce so a guy doesn't have to take out a loan to work up a load...
    I would start with every scrap of gear I currently own.. A Dillon 650, RCBS Big Max, Hollywood Universal Turret, Micro Precision press, Hollywood Senior.. Case polisher and separator, Star Bullet lube-sizer...
    But as quickly as possible add all the current string of Presses from RCBS, Dillon, Redding, Lyman..
    And put them out for the members to use.
    For example:
    "Hey, I need that Dillon 1050 for an hour Monday, and I will need the automatic primer tube filler for large primers and the .45 ACP tool-head. "
    Ok Bob... yer open from 7-8PM...
    Shop will be well lit, plenty parking, close to food if possible...
    So I am trying to make a poll here. I need to find out as much as possible and I need the help of the Membership here to do it. If the poll thing doesn't pan out, drop a line.
    We are talking Mid-Town Anchorage here, and I have sights on 3 locations right now, all are a bit expensive, but nice.
    Here are the questions that will help me determine if this can work:

1. Would you join at $30 a month?
    2. Would you join at $100 a year?
    3. What do you usually load?
    4. What hours would you want to participate?

So... this is a poll... I want to thank you for participating should you do so.

Looks like the poll is live, but is a checkmark poll.
    If you have time, please tell me your calibers, and hours you would like access.
    Thanks again,
    Mark

I probably wouldn't because I only do the bulk of my reloading in the off season fine tune all my hunting loads. Then I'm gone for the entire spring/summer/early fall living in a tent on some river. The reloading stuff is put away and only used when needed.

Thanks Mainer...
    I am glad to hear both good and bad on this... otherwise... I can't tell a thing!

I still like the idea, and I'd join for $360/year ($30 a month). I don't see how you can afford to do it for less. My reloading is catch-as-catch can so I can't give you any times yet. But, I do have a Lee 'C' press I can lend you.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

Quote Originally Posted by .338-06 View Post
    I still like the idea, and I'd join for $360/year ($30 a month). I don't see how you can afford to do it for less. My reloading is catch-as-catch can so I can't give you any times yet. But, I do have a Lee 'C' press I can lend you.
    Yeah, I might be able to tell more based on interest levels... and I have to be looking at at least 3K overhead per month..
    And then not really pulling anything. Somewhere there will be a balance of doing a good job...hard telling.
    I wonder how much I can lose on this one... lol! ( Wouldn't be my first wreck )

I don't really understand the "poll" part of your post, but as for your OP concept, I would not want to join such a group. To me, reloading is one of those things that requires considerable dedication, accuracy, and well-maintained equipment. I just can't see trusting a "community" reloading press that isn't going to be as well taken care of as my own equipment. From my experience, all "community" equipment (regardless of application) gets worn out and broken by overuse and too many people who don't know how to use it correctly.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    I don't really understand the "poll" part of your post, but as for your OP concept, I would not want to join such a group. To me, reloading is one of those things that requires considerable dedication, accuracy, and well-maintained equipment. I just can't see trusting a "community" reloading press that isn't going to be as well taken care of as my own equipment. From my experience, all "community" equipment (regardless of application) gets worn out and broken by overuse and too many people who don't know how to use it correctly.
    Thanks JOAT;
    I consider that as well as a distraction factor in reloading.. which is not good, but partitioned stations may be a cure.
    Yes, my first poll... I didn't know the format.. so it doesn't work the way I thought.
    I am not certain but I think Member Reloaders would several cuts above a " Renter "
    Your thoughts are most appreciated.
    Mark

Honestly, as an experienced reloader it wouldn't be something I would be interested in. When I reload I do it alone with no distractions other than maybe the radio so I can stay focused.

I actually like the idea. I already have my own reloading equipment and such and do a considerable amount of it during the winter months. I like the idea of like minded people doing what we love to do together. This might not be a weekly thing but when working up loads it would be nice to ask opinions from other loaders and such. I think this would be awsome for all the beginner loaders out there. There is a lot to learn and a lot of equipment choices to purchase and no better way to find the right tool than to try it out first. The ability to have a knowledgable instructor is invaluable. I can read books like no tomorrow but I learn better with a hands on approach and most people I know are the same.

The concept of selling powder by the ounce really is a good thing. I hate buying it by the pound only to find it's not working for me and it gets handed off to another reloader friend to try. If you could incorporate a reloading store and facility you may be better off to cover costs incurred. Most people IMHO will only come around for a month or two to learn how to do it then do it themselfs at home. Your not going to attract the serious reloaders. You may be able to convince a couple to come in and be guest instructers but most want to do there deed at home with no distractions. With the store you could supply the "students" with the supplys they need and if your prices are competitive keep them coming back for more.

Not an easy task to do but would be fun to stop by on occasion and learn some tips and tricks. Good luck to you and I hope it is something that you can get started. I have no idea about cost. I would think a hourly rental fee would be better fit for most of our busy schedules up here with an annual $50 membership fee. The maintenance on the equipment is a non-issue to me. This equipment lasts a long time and when being used often lasts longer. Keep it lubed and keep it working.

yes I would pay 100 a year.thats a box of ammo for my 338 RUM! I have a 300 RUM to that has lots of brass and a new 308 plinker

would you let this guy join the reloading club?:

Default idiot scar

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    would you let this guy join the reloading club?:
    I love it. That guy reminds me of a guy that got himself "an idiot scar" (i.e., it was the shape of his scope, and located on his face, right around his right eye) right in front of me, when he shot a big 50 cal rifle without seating the rifle's butt against his shoulder first....

Don't know the exact description of that 50 cal round, but the cartridges were like 4 to 5 inches long and quite expensive; I shot one round with it, then handed it back to its owner with thanks for letting me learn so cheaply (for free) using what he paid thousands for.

I would join for $100, I want to reload shotgun shells, but don't have a press for that. 12 gauge. I also might do .40 S&W and 44 Magnum.

If you could also include an indoor handgun range -- I'd join in a heartbeat.
    In God We Trust.

Quote Originally Posted by Forestar View Post
    If you could also include an indoor handgun range -- I'd join in a heartbeat.
    What he said +1

I have been loading since about 1962 and have a fairly extensive loading room. When I need equiptment or supplies, I just go buy them. I can't see much reason for me to join such a club. I do enjoy the socializing with other loaders but can do that from my loading bench with the computer. Central Anchorage is about 35 miles from home which would be 1 1/2 hours of drive time that would be better used loading. This type of club would be great for a new loader or for someone without the room for a lot of equiptment, powder, brass and such. The other thing is, I really enjoy my time alone in my loading room.