Thread: Bringing the boys to Alaska

Default Bringing the boys to Alaska

Hey all,
    I am going to be bringing my 14 and 16 year old boys with me to Alaska this summer and we plan on doing the RV thing.
    We will be arriving in Anchorage towards the middle of June and staying until the end of July.
    Since it is our first time in Alaska, I would like to hire a fishing guide a few times and do ALOT of DIY roadside fishing.
    Where should I start?

Thanks in advance,
    Kevin

You'll have a great time! Start with this book. http://www.amazon.com/Highway-Angler.../dp/1578333660

You could pick up an inflatable raft and do one of the several road to road float trips also.

Enjoy!
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Mid of June to the end of July?? Can I come??

I agree start with Highway Angler. Great book I use it every summer to fish some place new. For guided trips I use Scott Sager with Drifting on the Fly. Website: http://www.driftingonthefly.com/blog/

If you are interested in fishing the Parks Hwy system, send me a private message and I will take you out to some streams or can point you in the right direction depending on what type of fish you want to catch.

If you are wanting salmon and halibut, it's hard to beat the Kenai Peninsula at that time.

I have done this exact trip with my boys a few times. We pick up the RV in Anchorage and head to the peninsula. For us it is all about the timing of the runs for the reds. We want to be on the river for both runs. We have had great luck on the Russian and on the Kenia. Last time we were there the time btween the runs was approx a week??? We went down to Homer during that time and went on a halibut charter. We were so pleased with our charter that we went out three times. Spent a small fortune shipping salmon and halibut fillets!

There was no king season the last time i did the tip so we just focused on the peninsula and halibut out of Homer. We did make a big swing up to Fairbanks, over to Tok, down to the copper river and back to the Kenia. That was a nice trip. If you want our halibut guys name send me a pm and I will get it to you. Anything else I can help with just let me knnow.

Great info. Thanks so much.
    I will be making some phone calls to the suggestions and messages I have gotten.
    Got to make sure my boys don't get bored for the 6 weeks we will be there.
    Thanks Again,
    Kevin

If your down on the Kenai Peninsula don't forget to hit Deep Creek, Ninilchik or Anchor for Dolly Varden in July... not many people fishing the river then as its closed for Kings but the Dolly fishing can be fantastic and its a very quite time, river to your self.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by just_a_OKEE View Post
    Great info. Thanks so much.
    I will be making some phone calls to the suggestions and messages I have gotten.
    Got to make sure my boys don't get bored for the 6 weeks we will be there.
    Thanks Again,
    Kevin

^I am going up for 2 weeks, wish I could do 6. We rent an RV and fish the Kenia Russian river area the most. If you need some help send me a private message and I will help you out and tell you where some good spots are.......

First of all, you are going to have a blast with your boys! What a great father/son trip, and you'll have plenty of fishing to partake in all 6 weeks that you're here. Maybe I'm biased, but I would personally head south to the Kenai Peninsula rather than north.
    Here are some must do's:

- Hike into mountain lakes for grayling, trout, (Fuller Lake, Crescent lake, Russian Lake, etc.) amazing scenery, and solitude.
    - Take a shot at a world class King Salmon on the Kenai or Kasilof during July
    - You'll get tons of DIY sockeye fishing done (Russian River, Lower Kenai River)
    - Seward Combo Fishing (silver salmon, halibut, and rockfish) in one of the most gorgeous locations imaginable
    - Clam Digging in Ninilchik (check tide book for -1.0 tide or lower)
    - Halibut Cove day trip out of Homer (not a fishing trip, but totally worth the time)
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

NO to Halibut Cove your boys might just make you stay there I would do my saltwater fishing out of Homer because I have fished both and use to charter out of Homer. There are some very good charters in Seward that do great. After 20 years in the Coast Guard most of it in Alaska I picked Homer because of the fishing!