Thread: Marlin 1895gs bolt question...

Default Marlin 1895gs bolt question...

Saw one at a gun shop today that I almost bought. It is a well broken in older 1895gs 45-70. Ported barrel DRC qhost ring sights, trigger job, large loop lever.

When I started inspecting the bolt, I saw a chip in it. Looks to be functional, but If I got it I would dye pen the bolt to see if there were any cracks. If I had to change it out, would this be something I could do myself? Would there be headspace issues, or other alignment problems? What would a gunsmith charge (round abouts) to do the work for me?

Thanks!

Where was the chip?
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

On the side of the bolt you can see when it is still in the gun. The chip is right where it starts to taper, about 3/8" back from the bolt face just above the extractor.

Strange. But I don't see where that would be any kind of a functional or safety issue. Some butterfinger probably dropped it on a concrete floor. Or it could be a manufacturing defect. It seems that type of thing is getting more common from Marlin, sadly.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

......And yes you can change take the bolt out of a Marlin. Take out one screw holding the lever in the gun and remove the lever. The bolt will fall out the back and the extractor will fall out of the slot on the inner left wall of the receiver. I take mine out to clean from the breech end. Then again, some assembly required. You'll need to take it to Doug for that.

It's it Remarlington now??
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?