Thread: Need Glove Recommendations

Default Need Glove Recommendations

I've been searching around on the different threads and not really finding what I'm looking for.

Looking for recommendations for hunting gloves that are wind and water proof/resistant. Specifically gloves for when you're sitting there glassing an area and it's cold, wet and just good hunting conditions.
    Diamond Marquis

Without a doubt, check out the Mountain Hardware gloves with the Outdry technology. High quality, comfortable and 100% waterproof (can literally submerge your hand up to your wrists without getting wet). They have quite a large line of gloves and should have one that is tailored to your needs. I own two different models. The "Epic" glove works great for glassing and colder conditions. For a more mobile climbing type of glove, look at the "Minus One."

+1 on what pred said, and they make a mitt in that fabric too. Mtn Hardwear and OR prolly got what you want.

since its for glassin you might want to check out a goretex type mitten shell...OR makes one (the Endeavor sp?) and its spendy but I dont leave late season without it anymore...light weight and great to block out the nasty conditions.

If you want a light duty glove for very wet conditions (I use them for field dressing big game during the winter) try the rubber/neoprene gloves (maybe 3/16ths thick?) that dipnetters wear. BJ's in Anchorage has them, as does Fred Meyer (during summer, at least). They preserve nearly all of your dexterity.

Mountain hardwear are the best. Just idea here for ya this year I was out on montogue deer hunting and I left my rubber doc gloves on and put my mech. Gloves on over the top of them. I was ver surprised at how warm they were with rubber gloves gloves on too. I did it for the hole weekend had dry hands.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i only buy and wear Lined ELk skin leather.. except for Riding mid winter.. and will wear my leather till they are wet.. and put on new ones.. skining hunting. working. i have never found a pair of gloves that will tollerate so much abuse our brush will hand out... for the cost of them.. even at -40 and colder..

adn prefer teh brand with the polar bear on the logo
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I appreciate all the replies and recommendations. I will definitely look into all these options.

Thanks Again
    Diamond Marquis

Of all the gloves I have tried over the years I have never found anything better for me than poly or wool knit liners with leather over the top, or one, or the other at a time. Not water proof, but the knit liners keep me warm if wet or dry, leather keeps the wind out and are most durable.

If durability is not an issue at the moment of use I do have neoprene gloves as well.

I have been using Chilly Grip gloves by Red Steer for the past 3 seasons. I use them for all my snowmaching (except for -20) as well. They are not water proof which I dont' want anyways. I've used the Mountain hardwear ones mentioned above and while they are pretty waterproof they don't breath well and the get wet on the inside out for sweat. Even if your hands aren't sweating I found over a week long hunt they will accumulate moisture. And since they are waterproof they don't dry out will from the inside out.

The Chilly grips literally grip the rocks and what not very well. They also are waterproof on the palm and finger times for grabbing wet items and what not, but still breath enough to no get sweaty. They are plenty warm enough for me for sitting and glassing down into the teens. Atlas makes a similar model but they are not nearly as warm or comfortable IMO.

Best of all I was able to get 12 pair for $40 shipped. A pair will generally last me a hunting season and another pair will last a snowmaching season. Being as they are marginally over $3 per pair I have a set of these gloves everywhere.

Generally, I don't mind shelling out some coin for more expensive stuff, but in some cases the cheaper stuff just flat works better for me and makes more sense to use.

They even come in camo is your so inclined

http://www.westechrigging.com/glove-...grip-camo.html

http://www.redsteer.com/products/a311hv/

Chilly Grips in orange for $1.99/pair. If you're in an area with high hunter density.... I wear Chilly Grips almost all winter myself but I'm mostly a desk jockey these days and haven't put them to much of a test. $6.95 shipping. Sorry dear, I spent our date money on blaze orange Chilly Grips
    Go Big Red!

Quote Originally Posted by AK Predator View Post
    Without a doubt, check out the Mountain Hardware gloves with the Outdry technology. High quality, comfortable and 100% waterproof (can literally submerge your hand up to your wrists without getting wet). They have quite a large line of gloves and should have one that is tailored to your needs. I own two different models. The "Epic" glove works great for glassing and colder conditions. For a more mobile climbing type of glove, look at the "Minus One."
    I was just looking at these gloves yesterday. I'm in the same boat. Headed into the Chugach for 7+ days and I think the epic gloves with a light wool liner are going to be perfect. The outdry Tech does seem pretty nice. Looks like a solid glove for the task.
    Good luck.

I have always worn the poly pro liner gloves and the fingerless wool with the mitten flap over top of them....not waterproof but I have found that even with water proof gloves my hands are never dry in bad weather any way...

These are all great ideas but through the years I've come to realize that different people have different needs and wants. I would suggest to try a couple different types on and see what you think. I have used the wool army inserts for years, sometimes with leather outers but for glassing mostly without. My hands sweat too much in rubber . Thanks, Ron.

Whaleback gloves from Duluth Trading. Water and windproof.

http://www.duluthtrading.com/search/...cessor=content
    Now what ?

Whaleback gloves from Duluth Trading. Water and windproof.

http://www.duluthtrading.com/search/...cessor=content
    Now what ?

http://www.amazon.com/Wells-Lamont-9...d_sim_sbs_lg_1

great gloves and all I wear when hunting the Alaskan bush. Never had Devilsclub or anything else come through. Warm when kept dry.

always had a good pair of insulated back up gloves from Cabelas for the when it was raining and mainly use these when waterfowling..Great glove as well.

Cabela's Dry-Plus® Thinsulate™ Deluxe Shooting Gloves

good luck.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Predator View Post
    Does Sportsman's Wearhouse carry them?

Quote Originally Posted by PG13 View Post
    http://www.redsteer.com/products/a311hv/

Chilly Grips in orange for $1.99/pair.... . Sorry dear, I spent our date money on blaze orange Chilly Grips
    Uh oh..... if date night is sabotaged by a 2 buck purchase, you might want to take a look around and see if you might actually have some bigger fish to fry here.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Uh oh..... if date night is sabotaged by a 2 buck purchase, you might want to take a look around and see if you might actually have some bigger fish to fry here.
    At that price they are like Lay's potato chips; can't buy just one. I was insinuating a bulk order because of my retail addiction. Plus you forgot the $6.95 shipping. We are starting to talk about some real coin here. I remember when a gallon of gas cost 97 cents!
    Go Big Red!

I'm taking a pair of these to Cold Bay in May. I've never used them in the wet and cold, but they come highly recommended and are cheap.

http://www.reddenmarine.com/clothing...ed-gloves.html