Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DI404 with my name on it!

Default DI404 with my name on it!

I am feeling exhilarated, ecstatic truly happy and downright Grateful!!!
    Wonder where I should hunt?"

Thumbs up Congratulations

Quote Originally Posted by grndthunder View Post
    I am feeling exhilarated, ecstatic truly happy and downright Grateful!!!
    Wonder where I should hunt?"
    It's about time, huh? Congratulations. If theres anybody that deserves one!
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

grndthunder, better question is whether ADF&G will make you take the bison test?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

for all those you have already helped... time to call in some PACKERS !!!!!!!!!!!! lol
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Congratulations Diane! So happy that you've finally drawn a permit after all these years. Thanks for allowing my son and friends to hunt on your tracts in the past few years. I'd suggest Tract U for you! lol.

Congrads big time!!! I am sooo happy for you. I remember fall before last when you were telling my group about how long you have been putting in and not drawn, I felt so bad bcuz you have helped sooo many and never got it yourself. Genuinely glad you got it.

Thank You!

Default Diana u helped me and my son this year

U were instrumental helping me and my son be at the right spot to fill my bull tag in area 3A! I am grateful for the life long memories I will have of this hunt. It is now your turn and u have the home field advantage!!! CONGRATS IT NOW YOUR TURN!!

Default your intentions?

Do you care to relate what your intentions are for filling this permit?

For example, 18 years ago when I drew a bison permit, my intentions were to shoot the largest one I could find, no matter how long it took. Then in the field with my rifle, on the 3rd stalk for my intended prey, I saw him (finally close enough) to have a ripped up horn and 3-4 foot long quite visible scar (he had earned his place as the largest of the herd). A few seconds later I re-decided on the bison next to him; he was 20 percent smaller. My bison turned out to be about 10 percent away from being "in the record book", but I've never doubted my decision, as he is still here with me as a fine mount. We've named him "Harry".

But, if I were lucky enough to get another permit in my family, we'd go for a 3 year old, and not mount it - one bison mount (especially since its a full frontal mount) is enough for any house I think.

btw, about your forum name "grndthunder", I do understand. I have felt the earth beneath my feet shake due to the thundering hooves of bison getting spooked. That's a feeling that really humbles a person.

A huge congratulations Diane, it is definitely your turn in the barrel. Suppose everyone else is on hold till you get yours? Is the oat field called baiting? LOL Will it be bitter sweet having to shoo them off your crops for so many years and they stand there not wanting to move? Have you given any of them names? Please give us the run down with pictures.
    Oh and packers Family Man? I think her packer will have a diesel engine with hydraulics!
    Even a jackass won't stumble on the same stone twice.

Default mechanized "packers"

Quote Originally Posted by ACNDHO View Post
    Oh and packers Family Man? I think her packer will have a diesel engine with hydraulics!
    Some might call that cheating, or "too-easy" or such, but I won't; I call that smart.

I've done that a few times as a "trade" with a land-owning friend - I "keep his hay safe", and he drops it in the back of my pickup with his tractor. At home hoist it with a block and tackle and let it age as one piece; you have the very least amount of wasted meat, done this way.

Didn't do my bison this way though; we cut that into 6 pieces, and each sixth took two guys to carry.

Again congrats to grndthunder; that sounds like that permit was well-earned via many years of both putting in and helping others.

hahahaha....that's perfect!!! Congrats!!!
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

After years of coveting the "cow moose in the yard" tag winner threads this may just be the first "bison in the yard" thread to grace the AOD! Congrats!!

Default Thank You Everyone!!!

[QUOTE=LuJon;1083020]After years of coveting the "cow moose in the yard" tag winner threads this may just be the first "bison in the yard" thread to grace the AOD!

I guess it really is "in my back yard"... Won't everyone be shocked if I don't take him on Schultz Farms..."maybe.

I appreciate everyones well wishes, and I thank you from my heart.

Diana S.

Congrats Diana. I'll be heading your way myself because after at least 26 years of trying I drew a bull!!!

Whatever happened to the proposal out there in the revised management plan that at least one permit a year was going to be awarded to a landowner that have suffer through the crop loss every year?

Quote Originally Posted by Muskeg_Stomper View Post
    Congrats Diana. I'll be heading your way myself because after at least 26 years of trying I drew a bull!!!

Whatever happened to the proposal out there in the revised management plan that at least one permit a year was going to be awarded to a landowner that have suffer through the crop loss every year?
    Congrats on your permit!! It feels really good to know you've been drawn, doesn't it?. I also drew a bull."
    Proposals make good fire starter!

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Do you care to relate what your intentions are for filling this permit?
    I am not sure yet...I have a little time to think about this. What I know for certain is "I hope to draw blood on a bull say thank you and I'm sorry, and then cut my tag!" I have no intentions of filling my permit right out of the gate, or without a lot of thought. I want to savor this opportunity, it may never come again. No doubt I will cry (with sorrow & elation), then jump for joy and act like a giddy fool once my bull is dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    for all those you have already helped... time to call in some PACKERS !!!!!!!!!!!! lol
    I doubt I would have any takers on that......lmao!

Thumbs up Business "as usual" for that hunt

Quote Originally Posted by grndthunder View Post
    I am not sure yet...I have a little time to think about this. What I know for certain is "I hope to draw blood on a bull say thank you and I'm sorry, and then cut my tag!" I have no intentions of filling my permit right out of the gate, or without a lot of thought. I want to savor this opportunity, it may never come again. No doubt I will cry (with sorrow & elation), then jump for joy and act like a giddy fool once my bull is dead.
    That sounds like a perfect plan. Without each of those thoughts, emotions, and actions, it just wouldn't "seem right".

You've got lots more time to figure out more details - probably one of the most important is just how long you want to be the assessor of their size, and when to transform into the shooter.

Since you arrive at the start of this with a great wealth of aging bison (quite unusual, world-wide), and have a great bit of land to choose from (I would assume multiple farms), and will be sighted in well (of course), the biggest question remaining would be how long to you go before you head back to a previously found herd (if you can still find'm) and attempt a stalk.

Plus of course you'll be ready during the entire assessing period of your hunting time, I would think, in case the bull of your dreams comes into view and you recognize him immediately. Because you're prepared for this, it can't be called a "snap decision".

I'm feeling a little jealous at the moment, and helping myself feel better by remembering the planning details and the bull-assessment phase of my hunt, before I transformed into a stalking/shooting machine, and placed a single bullet exactly the spot I intended (within 3 inches). Mine jumped straight up, landed on his back, and merely waved a hoof or two for a moment and was gone. Then of course the herd gathered around him to defend him (though he was dead) from other attackers.... we had to drive them away so they wouldn't kill us, before we could close in and retrieve him.

Remember of course the best photographic shots you'll ever have of him is just after the shot and just before either field dressing or moving him, so having a few people ready with a couple of cameras would be worth a heckuva lot later.

Has anyone noticed that more than once I've said I have a "bull permit?" Today my brain kicked in and I am on the right path. Well if you know me - you know any path I am on is a bit winding. lol My permit is a DI404 Cow and Not a DI403 Bull! I swear I know and for years have known that the 404 is a cow tag. I must admit my thoughts have been a bit muddled....that is putting it lightly! Being the recipient of such a permit does strange things to a person!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast