Thread: Big Su question

Default Big Su question

I could sure use some info on the susitna river downstream from the denali hwy.....my buddy drew a moose tag and I have never ran that section of river. We need to get at least down to the big O or farther....I have a pretty light, shallow running boat but I have heard there were a lot of sandbars up there and with the silty water they are hard to see?

Any info would sure help, pm if need be. Thanks!

It's runnable, but like you said, hard to see where you are going. The biggest thing to keep in mind is that there is no bailout. You are on your own and can't float out if something happens. Make sure to have a backup to get yourself out if you break down. Don't travel solo unless you have a way to call someone else to come get you. Later in the season, if it gets cold, that river can drop a number of FEET in a single day since it is glacial runoff.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    Make sure to have a backup to get yourself out if you break down. Don't travel solo unless you have a way to call someone else to come get you. Later in the season, if it gets cold, that river can drop a number of FEET in a single day since it is glacial runoff.
    And on that note it would be beneficial if the rescue boat was an airboat.

Or a jetpack those work too

Plus the Big O is about 55 river miles from bridge. That's a buuuunch of fuel!