Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Kiliuda Bay DG476 Goat Tag Help

Default 2012 Kiliuda Bay DG476 Goat Tag Help

i have drawn the DG476 tag for the 2012 season. starting to look at options. seems as if hiring SeaHawk to fly into a high lake is about the best option. is crowding an issue on this hunt? is there many different lakes with access to goats? any help from previous hunters in this area would be greatly appreciated!

I've hunted bear there, and friends have hunted goat. There may be float plane-accessible high lakes somewhere, but I'm not aware of any in that region. Not saying there aren't any, but we've always been dropped off on the salt water and bushwacked up from the beach. Any of the air transporters there on Kodiak should know if there are lakes there that will work.

how did freinds do hunting goat? seems like a pretty good area if you spend the time and energy to get up high. probably legistically, it is far more feasable to get dropped off at the salt and bushwack up taking weather into consideration. doesnt sound real fun but probably the only realistic option. i wonder if bringing a raft and kicker would prove smart to be able to move around on the beach? the pilot will probably line us out on a good spot before dropping us off so that might not be nessecary. looking forward to this hunt, how is other species in the area? lots of deer and fox?

Larry Carol owns Kodiak Adventures Lodge in the head of Kiluda Bay I have hunted with him several times. He has the spot for you I would do what ever he recommended.
    Louie

ya i have noticed that lodge, just dont really wanna spend the $$$$$ to do a guided hunt, although i will not argue it would be nice. im young and in good shape with the ability to take 9 or 10 days off work when i choose so i dont feel like there is a reason i cant get it done myself.

There are tons of lakes out there! I say just close your eyes and pick one! There are goats all over that area, little to no pressure, its pretty much a gauranteed hunt! I hope you go out there and slay em!
    Missing the greatest state in the Union!

Love the enthusiasm! I have been hoping someone would say tht haha. I have just been looking over maps and google earth and haven't seen a whole lot of big lakes, but I guess it doesn't take much to land. Hunting from a alpine lake seems to be much more enjoyable then bush wacking from the salt, been there done that. I have emailed several of the air company's about lake options in the last couple days, just waiting to hear back from them and nail out a time line. It's lookin like hunt locally on the peninsula for moose till sept 20th, then hit the goat tag the last 10 days of September, then hunt the Kenai mtn caribo tag in oct

There are some lakes to land on but by they can freeze up pretty early. I am sure that the air transporters will help you out. Andrew Air may be a little slow as they recently had a fire, bummer! You may want to give Seahawks Air a call if you have not already.

Do you have a personal email?

Quote Originally Posted by jonath View Post
    how did freinds do hunting goat? seems like a pretty good area if you spend the time and energy to get up high. probably legistically, it is far more feasable to get dropped off at the salt and bushwack up taking weather into consideration. doesnt sound real fun but probably the only realistic option. i wonder if bringing a raft and kicker would prove smart to be able to move around on the beach? the pilot will probably line us out on a good spot before dropping us off so that might not be nessecary. looking forward to this hunt, how is other species in the area? lots of deer and fox?
    They both got goats, but it was from the salt. They did take a raft along with a small kicker, but I'm not sure if they used it much. If weight allows, it's always nice to have that option. There's always fox and deer around, though I don't know what this year's winter kill will be like. Kodiak ADF&G usually does a Spring "winter-kill" survey on the deer in select areas, so they should have an update later in the year.

I can help you i took a 9 in billy there last fall. I get off slope next week pm me and have a good map handy will chat.

Tim
    ďA man does not climb a mountain without bringing some of it away with him,and leaving something of himself upon it -- Sir Martin Conway

Hunted there last fall. Buddy took one and I passed on a few Nannies, but saw a few big Billies but just couldn't close the distance.

There are a few lakes. Best goat populations are going to be ocean based. But if you get up in a lake (Rolan will fly you around) you'll get to see the lay out and where you want to go. You'll be successful. It won't be easy, but very doable!
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Tim, i am not able to pm you for some reason.... personal email is jon.essert@hotmail.com i appreciate the help i have recieved already! how early does those lakes freeze up? obviously every year is different weather wise, but i wouldnt think the first week of sept. they would already be froze. you guys have issues with bears while goat hunting in this area?

Yeah, lots of bears all over the Island. Last year we had tons of bear problems down on the south end. One of my hunting party (with 25 years hunting experience on the south end of Kodiak) was forced to DLP a bear (what a drag) on the day before Thanksgiving. We have been hunting down their many, many years and had more problems last year, than all the other years combined so, you just never know. Lots of bears everywhere on the island, you may want to consider bringing a bear fence with you if nothing else for piece of mind. They make them nice and small/lightweight now, the one I carried on my goat hunt last year was probalby a little over a pound. If you do not want to buy one you could probably rent one from Dan Dorman at Kodiak Kamps (not suse which brand/size he rents but I know he does rent them). Best of luck

Before you book your air transporter, send me a pm. It will save you alot of headaches if I give you our experience with one of the transporters down there...

kodiak bio says with this "severe winter" we r having, some of the alpine lakes in this area may not thaw. he mentioned there is atleast 5 landable lakes in dg476, this includes lake 2333, 1945, and 2373. anyone have any expericance on these lakes? guess i need to keep my fingures crossed on a mild spring and warm summer to prevent the dreaded saltwater bushwack...

Quote Originally Posted by jonath View Post
    ya i have noticed that lodge, just dont really wanna spend the $$$$$ to do a guided hunt, although i will not argue it would be nice. im young and in good shape with the ability to take 9 or 10 days off work when i choose so i dont feel like there is a reason i cant get it done myself.
    Its not guided he is an outfitter with boats to move you where ever you want, have you checked his price? The not having to deal with camping gear food etc has a price saving. A warm room with a shower is good to. Sure do it yourself, I have had allot of luck with Larry. And to you experts this is not an advertisement for Larry, Just a fact he runs a first class outfit. Good luck jonath!

im not arguing that the outfitter isnt a convience factor, im just not willing to pay 3X the money for someone to make me food and sleep in a cabin. i seen something like 6k on his site for prices, seems like a lot??? we r plannin on headin over in sept.

PM me. I have hunted goat out of Kiluda before & live in Soldotna. Congrats on the tag.

Pm sent. Hope to hear from you soon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast