Thread: Birch Creek bear float/ Moose float

Default Birch Creek bear float/ Moose float

I'm thinking about doing a float hunt on Birch Creek for black bear around June first. I've never done a float hunt before and I have very little experience with rafting. I figured this would be a good first time trip since it's close to Fairbanks and I don't have any experience so if something should go wrong we won't be too far from help. Where is a good place to find info on this specific hunt? I've searched on line but I didn't find exactly what I was looking for. Would this be a good float for a beginner? What will the water level most likely be like at that time? What kind of raft would be good for this trip? I'm also looking into an early September fly in float hunt for moose but I don't which rivers to start looking at for this one. I've read a few books and have talked with people about the actual hunting so my issue is mainly with where to go. Any suggestions? Any info at all would be very much appreciated.
    Thanks, Mike

" Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Being that your in Fairbanks and you have limited time floating in a Round Boat or Cat you may consider floating the middle Chena a couple of times just for practice. IMO Round Boats should be easier versus a Cat however that is my opinon. Water Levels should be fine in June so less dragging. In April the outdoor show will be held Jim King, Larry B and Alaska Raft and Kayak will be there and more than likley 6th Ave outfitters ample chance to look at choices of boats to use and guys to talk specs. for both hunting option you have mentioned.

Best of luck

BMR.

Thanks for the info. Bluemoose, I hope to be back in Fairbanks for the utdoor show but theres a good chance I'll miss it.

No worries. Shoot me a note when you get back I will set up a couple of different rigs go use them for a weekend "free" get the feel of what you would like best for what you plan on doing and then go have fun.

Richard"Moose" Mousseau
    BMR

Richard,
    Thats very generous of you. I just might do that when I get back.
    Thanks, Mike

No Worries Mike Stay Safe. Just give me a call 907-460-7758 when you get back.

Be careful of the rapids. The water in June will be higher, so the rapids faster. I have never floated the creek in june, only in sept. for moose. Plan for at least a 7 to 10 day trip. If you want to do it in 5 days you will have to float long hours but with the water being higher you should be able to do it in 5 or 6 days. Good luck!

Mike
    You got a lot of good advice and from my two trips down the river in 2001 and 2002 everything is spot on. A couple things that come to mind is that it remember is the the first part of the float was kinda tight for the 15ft Cat. I managed Ok no real issues but something to think about. One thing I did which helpd me during the float to determines speed and location was I used TopoZone and selected check points along the route. The first time I also picked out spot on the map that look good where I could get up high and glass and call. Also I was suprised we really didnt catch many fish, I was hoping to have some good fish meals but no dice. Could I was just not using the right gear either. I seen moose and bear on the trip but was unable to harvest either trip. I rack that up for inexperience. Good luck and keep your oars wet.

Have caught tons of graying, even some sheefish! and few pike.... they are there.

Birch creek is a lot of fun . Good eating for sure .

RR

Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Paddlers Cove is the other. You might also want to check with Test the Waters in the Fairbanks area.

Sorry all wrong thread I need to stop drinking was suppose to post on renal options P.P. for a different thread!

Cheers!