Thread: 20A Salcha to (close to) Nenana

Default 20A Salcha to (close to) Nenana

Hello All,

Apparently I drew DM636 this year, which is the cow hunt on the Tanana South of Fairbanks, opens September 15th. Our group will have lots of AK hunting experience, but none of it in this part of the state. Looks like the regs say you can't use a motorized boat, so we're thinking a raft or canoe instead. I am just starting the research process. Has anybody done this hunt before and care to share their recommendations? Not looking to know anybody's secret spot, but logistics, general planning, and observations etc. would be helpful.

Thank you in advance guys,

We're did you read you can't use a boat. Last year my brother had me had Dm634 and this years dad got Dm 636. Which all the same area one for any bull and other are for cow early and late season. It an easy easy easy hunt we shot two bulls at the same time. Pm me ill give all info It should be even better with cow permits this year. Very happy that my dad got the permit cant wait to take him.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Your opening date is wrong too.

Research your permit some more ! http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/li..._draw_supp.pdf .

The area is closed to ORV/ATV, not watercraft on the Tanana River or the Wood River.

SIGH

Easy there 338. Like I said, I am just beginning the research process in an unfamiliar area, and the results have been out for how long now? The no motorized vehicles clause apparently applies to a neighboring hunt unit.

Thank you for the suggestions,

SIGH[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by AKJOB View Post
    Easy there 338. Like I said, I am just beginning the research process in an unfamiliar area, and the results have been out for how long now? The no motorized vehicles clause apparently applies to a neighboring hunt unit.

Thank you for the suggestions,

SIGH
    [/QUOTE]

Believe me, that is taking it easy.

This hunt is in the back yard of Fairbanks so it will not all be a wilderness hunt but it is a big area and must be some spots to get away from the crowd. Obviously you will have to get across the Tanana to hunt which will be the first of the logistics if you are entering from the North by boat. Lots of military land out there to contend with (Bombing Range and a lot more) so you need to brush up on those requirements through the Army as they have special requirements. For the 40 days prior to your hunt there will be pressure from the 200 other cow permit holders whose season starts earlier and the previous 340 bull moose permit holders. Once they are done you will be joined by 99 other new cow permit holders to finish thinning the herd. The season starts September 26th so you may have to contend with freezing temperatures and dropping water levels as that can be pushing it towards the outside limit of late season river running in the interior - Just depends on the weather each year. Upside is that there must be a lot of moose out there with all those permits handed out.

Boat access points to the river would be on the Salcha River, Chena River, directly into the Tanana via Chena Pump Camp Ground, below the unit at Nenana and go up river, and possibly at Moose Creek but that area may be under construction.

Good luck in your endeavor.

We put at nenena and ran up river just pasted the wood. Walk back a half mile to the big clearing that burned a couple years ago. Set up a tree stand. Went bed woke up the next morning and walked to tree stand. Sat down for Mabye 30 mins. Shot two bulls as they were trying to cross the open field. I would myself go up from nenena.
    You need the pass for the military. Mite not need it u go up or hunt around the mouth of the wood but you will if you run farther up. My advise get off the river and wait. We had airboats all around us. So we just sat and waited. Pm I'll tell everything we did and were.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

my son drew this unit. would love to help him fill his first hunt!! any help would be grateful!!!!!! I have a jon boat so I can get across the river just need a little insite thanks. pm me please and I will give my contact number thanks ahead of time

AKMike and Raven,

Thanks for the responses guys. I will PM you once I've got a better understanding of the area. Thank you,