Thread: What's your favorite target??

Question What's your favorite target??

Just looking for the best target for broadheads and what's the best for field points? Shot my block to death with my broadheads in no time so was wondering what everyone else uses. I've found the bags to be great for practice points and easy to remove the arrows from. Give me your 2 cents worth I'm in the market for a new target. Thanks

Default Block

The Block is not dead!!!

I shot mine to death too. Cut the bands, took it apart and realigned the good parts to the middle. I then took two cheap ratchet straps, compressed the target and ratched it tight again.

I have done this three times now and it is still stopping field points in the woodshop at school.

Blocks never die, they just change faces.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Thumbs up Giving it a try

Thanks Dave was just about to put it in the trash had never thought about rebulding it the center is gone get nice pass throughs with the bow in that area so been shooting the perimiter for the last 2 years. I'll give it a try tonight. Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    The Block is not dead!!!

I shot mine to death too. Cut the bands, took it apart and realigned the good parts to the middle. I then took two cheap ratchet straps, compressed the target and ratched it tight again.

I have done this three times now and it is still stopping field points in the woodshop at school.

Blocks never die, they just change faces.

I have done the same thing.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I know buying a new block is expensive but the new block 4x4 is (or at least was when i bought one) exactly the same price as the original block but you get 4 shooting sides. The foam that surrounds the layers also holds everything together better and it truly is a great product. I also have a "Black Hole" target that we absolutely tore up with broadheads and the block 4x4 takes the blades much better.

Big Bears!

Just a question. I shoot a bow alot. Practice somewhere on the average of 100 arrows a day. How much are you shooting broadheads? I sight in my broadheads and then go back to field points. Plus I use a cheap walmart target for broadheads, so I do not ruin my block.

For field points I started with a morel yellow jacket bag which works great. Since then I have add a couple homemade bag targets. Bought the bags at sportsmenís warehouse and stuffed them with shrink-wrap that I got from Three Bears. They stop arrows real well and are easy to pull out. You can also use feed bags stuffed with plastic grocery bags. For Broadheads I have a morel yellow jacket broadhead target. That seems to be holding up pretty well but I have not shot it a whole lot yet.

Default Targets

Ouch, a block target for broadheads, thats expensive. I shoot a Morrell yellow jacket target for my broadheads the cost a Sportsmams warehouse is about 40-50 dollars. for field points I shoot a bag target and a block target. Take a look at the yellow jacket. Its not a bad buy.

Default Yellow Jacket

My yellow jacket broadhead target lasted the better part of two seasons then also had to hold it together with old ratchet straps, works good though. I mainly practice with broadheads so my target takes a beating and stills performs well.

Default broadheads

I shoot broadheads before each hunt to make sure they fly true and are still hitting the same as my field points, maybe 2 dozen shots spring and fall then the rest of the year I shoot field points. I haven't shot as much this year as I have the past few years due to an injury but will be shooting daily again starting this week. I shoot at least a hundred shots each shoot so my targets get pounded alot.

Default cheap target

A large burlap feed bag 50#filled with sifted sand... stops everything. with a little orange dot painted on it.eventually you will lose some sand. i have been doing this for years. Dont shoot at sand bag in winter. I also have a block that i use for field points i stick a plastic pop bottle cap in between the layers and shoot at that until it breaks into pieces. then i do another one.

Delta dead stop .. I use also a burlap traget that is fun to shoot at..Blocks are fun ..I like Mckinze tragets to..

Critters mostly.

Thumbs up Just got...

the BlOCK 4x4...seems to work well. I like that the targets are off center from one another on the 4 sides so you don't shoot up the same spot.

I"ve been shooting the sme bag target for almost 15 years. I can't even remember the name of it. But this one one of the first ones. Its filled with a black fiber cloth material. Sort of looks like the black landscaping cloth. All I know id that I've shot the sh_t out of it with field points and still going strong. I mainly shoot field points all year. Then site in my broadheads and shoot them for about 2 weeks. I keep a proctice set which are really dull. Then come huting time I switch over to the a new set that I keep for hunting. Same make of broadheads, just sharp.

For broadheads I shoot an old foam target. Nothng fancy, and a real pain to get out. Someday, I'll switch over to a block. My buddy uses a block. Instead of rebuilding it with a ratchet strap, we sandwich the block between two doubled layers of plywood (3/4"). Hold it all together with some threaded rod on the corners. Then just snug it down real tight with a socket wrench. You can get it real tight. Works like a champ.

Default Target

Rinehart 18-1 cube. This thing has held up great to lots of shooting with both field tips and broadheads. Its also a dream to pull arrows from. The have a one year guarantee that you can't shoot it out even with broadheads. I was able to get mine shipped to AK for $105.00. Pretty handy target.

http://www.rinehart3-d.com/18-in-1.html

Thumbs up Checked them out

Quote Originally Posted by Finley View Post
    Rinehart 18-1 cube. This thing has held up great to lots of shooting with both field tips and broadheads. Its also a dream to pull arrows from. The have a one year guarantee that you can't shoot it out even with broadheads. I was able to get mine shipped to AK for $105.00. Pretty handy target.

http://www.rinehart3-d.com/18-in-1.html
    Thanks Finley checked out the web site for them I'll be checking into these targets. I also fixed my block with the suggestions above and it shoots much better now no more pass throughs!! I also am looking at the block 4x4 and morrels broadhead targets. Thanks All for Replying and keep the great info coming

What Alaskan100 said...