Thread: Kodiak Bullets

Default Kodiak Bullets

Curious to see if anyone has any experience hunting with Kodiak bullets. I just purchased 300 300 grain .338 Kodiak Bonded Core bullets for my .340 Weatherby and while they're fairly accurate at 100 yds. I'm concerned about their performance on game. I finally drew a Kodiak bear tag so no time like the present for testing them out. I've got 50 rounds of 300 grain Woodleigh Welcore bullets too if the Kodiaks don't seem up to snuff or I'll just go to my old standby of 250 gr. Noslers. I'd really like to try the Kodiaks though if they're a decent bullet that holds together and penetrates well. I appreciate any info.
    Thanks

Kodiak makes good bullets, they are bonded and have a thick jacket. I've never heard of one coming unglued, although they sometimes aren't the most accurate bullets, though in my experience they've always been more than adequately accurate for hunting.

Moose, deer, mountain goat. The only one I ever found in an animal mushroomed just like the pretty pictures in the magazines. All the rest left just the sort of sizeable-but-not-colossal exit wounds you'd hope for.

Pushed at 2725 out of my 30-06, the 180-grain Kodiaks group at an inch at 100 yards.

And unlike almost every other 'outdoor' product with an Alaska name on it, they're made in Alaska. I appreciate that.

Happy hunting.

The only bullet I've ever loaded for my 35 Whelen is Kodiak's 250 gr. I've got no complaints. They shoot well in my rifle. I've never recovered one. Maybe Murphy will chime in on this. I bought the first ones I ever got from him.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

I bought a box of the .358 250gr spitzers to use in my Whelen. When I went to load them I noticed a huge variation in the ogives. With my seating die set for correct OAL the next three I seated would come out to different lengths, some shorter some longer. I loaded a dozen of them anyways and somehow, they shot like a house afire. It still puzzles me to this day, but I would have no qualms sighting in with the and going on a hunting trip.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    I bought a box of the .358 250gr spitzers to use in my Whelen. When I went to load them I noticed a huge variation in the ogives. With my seating die set for correct OAL the next three I seated would come out to different lengths, some shorter some longer. I loaded a dozen of them anyways and somehow, they shot like a house afire. It still puzzles me to this day, but I would have no qualms sighting in with the and going on a hunting trip.
    Very strange. I just went and looked at the ones I have sitting on my bench after reading this (I've only got 7 left over in a box), and they are all the same. Next time I get a new batch I'll have to check them out.

Regardless, if they shoot, they shoot.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

I have used some in my 350 Rem Mag and 358 Norma.
    They perform just fine, but I had problems with some boxes containing non-uniform bullets. They will not group very well compared to Swifts made bullets. But they sure group better than Hawk bullets... In my rifles anyway....
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Well so far the bullets are as accurate as I need them to be. I get 3 shot groups I can cover with a quarter at 100yds so I'm happy that my rifle likes em. I was mostly concerned with how they would hold together and penetrate but from everything I've read about them they seem to be ideal for at doing both. Thanks for all the information.

I've used Kodiaks for lots of critters and find their terminal performance to be excellent. Certainly 300 grain, 338's from the 340 is bear medicine.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?