Thread: finally

Default finally

got drawn for dm920, cant wait to get up there and try to get a bull with my recurve, have some solid ideas, but would love to hear some other points of view

When I drew that tag I had messed up my knee and was forced pretty much into road hunting. I had my son along as a pack mule. I didn't have any success but I watched a Wiseman local kill a really nice one right between the road and the pipeline. There are some pockets of "moosy" looking country all along the highway and the bulls should come to a call by the 7th or so.

I too have hunted this tag and have been up on the slope about 15 times in the last 6 years. I opted to go out towards the foothills on the North side of the Brooks. Hiked in about 16 miles (I know what you are thinking, how did you plan to get it out? we lined a canoe). I had seen some monster moose in that area on previous trips and figured we had a pretty good chance at connecting. There are numerous willow patches that hold moose back there. Spent 10 days hunting hard and could not find a single Bull. I hate to say it but if I had to do again I would keep to the roads. You can just cover a lot more ground in a vehicle and increase your chances of connecting. 99% of people up there in September will be hunting Bou on the road and are usually more than willing to share where they have seen moose. IMHO more miles, more eyes = more moose. Good luck.

I have seen some nice bulls, all the data i have gathered says hunters had the most success 15-25 sept, some nice bulls too according to horn study data, will have to get up there and do some scouting but I have seen some dandy bulls near wiseman,

I took a really nice big bull on that tag (DM920) in 2007....... theres some monsters in there, I check the harvest reports every year on that area........good luck to all that drew......All the moose tags I put in for are all archery and this is one of them.....hopefully draw again someday.

This hunt is not for the faint..... the bigger bulls are not near the road, your gonna have to work for them. I did this hunt solo and it took me 2 1/2 days to get my moose back to the truck, seen alot of small black bears runnin' around but they never touched my downed moose.

holler when you go wiso. I'll pass along what I know about it. Saw a bunch of bulls this last year and a rearend load of road hunters unfortunatly!!! I wasnt hunting moose when I was up there, but have in years past before it was a draw. Odd there was less people then than there is now for some reason.

TradBow I will do, that sent you a PM