Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Missing Draw Permits on the List

Default Missing Draw Permits on the List

Did anyone else notice that the cow permits in the valley (DM402-DM412) are not posted on the winners list? My wife and I put in for some of these tags and none are showing up on the list. What's the story? Anyone know?

Saw a post saying something about cow hunts being canceled because of heavy snow and die offs. Look and you should find the post.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I think there is a post about those hunts with a link to f&g as they were canceled but I would double check

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Would have been nice to know back in December so we could put in for other moose tags......
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

The repercussions of heavy snow and dieing moose was probably not fully noticed until after the application period.

Eveyone give your refund to the AK Moose federation so they may buy more feed for those that are left. I heard they were given permission to buy yummies! Please see below!
    Louie

WINTER 2011-12 TAKES ITS TOLL on MOOSE

Executive Director Gary Olson declares a state of emergency for Moose. "Because of the deep snows, moose can't move around, can't find food, and end up on highways where they often die in a vehicle collsions."

The Salvage Program is experiencing a high demand for removing moose from roads after collisions. "Between Feb. 1st & 2nd, in a 24-hour period, we picked up 16--that's not a good record to have."

Olson continued, "And it's more than just the collisions. Moose have no where to go to find food, and because of the snow depths, roads are the easiest way to get around. But we can do something before they starve or cause a collision."

Olson has suggested a plan to build diversionary roads with snowcats away from roads with bales of haylage at the end of trails to keep the moose fed through the winter.

"This is not new, its proven techniques being used at a critical time," Olson said.

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    Would have been nice to know back in December so we could put in for other moose tags......
    **** right....this really pisses me off! they should give me a tier 1 tag now to make up for it....i was really countin on that cow tag this year......wow....thats just bull****!

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by alaskalouie View Post
    Eveyone give your refund to the AK Moose federation so they may buy more feed for those that are left. I heard they were given permission to buy yummies! Please see below!
    Louie
    uhh no thanks....

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by alaskalouie View Post
    Louie

WINTER 2011-12 TAKES ITS TOLL on MOOSE

Executive Director Gary Olson declares a state of emergency for Moose. "Because of the deep snows, moose can't move around, can't find food, and end up on highways where they often die in a vehicle collsions."

The Salvage Program is experiencing a high demand for removing moose from roads after collisions. "Between Feb. 1st & 2nd, in a 24-hour period, we picked up 16--that's not a good record to have."

Olson continued, "And it's more than just the collisions. Moose have no where to go to find food, and because of the snow depths, roads are the easiest way to get around. But we can do something before they starve or cause a collision."

Olson has suggested a plan to build diversionary roads with snowcats away from roads with bales of haylage at the end of trails to keep the moose fed through the winter.

"This is not new, its proven techniques being used at a critical time," Olson said.
    yeah, and they can use the money to pay for the new $40k lobbyist they just hired....
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    **** right....this really pisses me off! they should give me a tier 1 tag now to make up for it....i was really countin on that cow tag this year......wow....thats just bull****!
    'Counting' on a tag with a 2% draw success = great planning.

I drive from Wasilla to the Talkeetna spur every day round trip. The cancellation is one of the smartest moves I've seen in some time. The moose are getting hammered.
    Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes. ~Wilde

I agree with Sockeye about counting on these draws. If you wanted guranteed, you should have went Tier 1 in the first place. I passed up the Tier 1 caribou because I want to have the option to hunt moose outside of Unit 13. Getting a Valley cow moose tag would have been the cherry on the top but that is why it is a low percentage tag. Oh well...guess I will take my money back and work harder for a bull.

Quote Originally Posted by sockeye1 View Post
    'Counting' on a tag with a 2% draw success = great planning.

I drive from Wasilla to the Talkeetna spur every day round trip. The cancellation is one of the smartest moves I've seen in some time. The moose are getting hammered.
    never know it might have been the only tag i would have drawn....i drive from big lake to anchorage every day round trip, yea moose are gettin hammered, i see that every day, a good idea ill agree but it sure screwed alot of people over who put in for those tags....they (f&g) should do something to make up for that....not just a refund either....

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by AKFreezerFiller View Post
    I agree with Sockeye about counting on these draws. If you wanted guranteed, you should have went Tier 1 in the first place. I passed up the Tier 1 caribou because I want to have the option to hunt moose outside of Unit 13. Getting a Valley cow moose tag would have been the cherry on the top but that is why it is a low percentage tag. Oh well...guess I will take my money back and work harder for a bull.

i did the same thing.....hunting moose in unit 13 is tough on a weekend warriors time, especially with a tight budget, hard enough to do in unit 14....i got lucky a couple years ago on a fork horn on the denali hwy my very first time up there....it was just blind luck is all....

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    Re-read that 'lil tantrum and then take a second and really think about the struggling MOOSE population and the flippin' resource.

There might be a REASON F&G did this.
    Try thinking beyond yourself for one second!
    Geez.
    Proud to be an American!

Quote Originally Posted by fullkurl View Post
    Re-read that 'lil tantrum and then take a second and really think about the struggling MOOSE population and the flippin' resource.

Geez.
    pretend they are lake trout
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Yeah, it sucks that I wasted my draw chances on the Valley moose tags but I am very glad that they are doing what is best for the moose!! I will just have to work harder to learn moose hunting places. As for the Moose Federation, didn't they just get a $700,000 grant? That should buy some moose food.

Quote Originally Posted by fullkurl View Post

Geez.
    i know why they did this.....i see it every day....I see a few moose gettin hit driving to work every morning and home every night....i see it in my front yard every day, moose walking thru belly deep snow....i cut down a bunch of trees on my back lot to give em a little break, and rode a machine all over the yard to give em a better trail.....not much i know big deal right?, but i did what i could.....i do care about the resource.....and btw the valley moose population as a whole is not struggling, just pockets of them in developed areas.....I put in for 2 cow tags, one in my nieghborhood (BIG LAKE), one in nancy lake management area....i didnt expect to draw anything, but **** it all the reality of really not drawing anything i put in for AGAIN (everyone else i know got SOMETHING), and then not even having the chance to draw for 2 of those choices, is extremely frustrating to me.....

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    They didn't know how the numbers would look later in the season that early. Read the news release and they explain that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast