Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Elk - Etolin DE321

Default 2012 Elk - Etolin DE321

My brother drew an elk tag for Etolin DE321. Besides lots of rain, expensive, and it being thick country, does anyone have any info on this hunt that I could pass on to him? I would be appreciated!

He'll be fighting with me trying to corner a trophy bull, I won it too. I've done it before and your assessment is correct. Bring some friends and strap some on.

How long ago did you draw the tag? Is there still between 300 and 500 elk on the island or has it gone down? How many elk did you see on your last hunt there? The weather and terrain don't scare me at all. Bring it on in my book! If the numbers and quality are down, that is what I don't want to experience. My plan would be to go with him to help him out.

I drew DE318 so I get first crack! :P

Over my dead wet body!

Are you flying in?

WTA Fever, the challenge of Etolin is the transplanted population inhabit a huge island. The terrain is such that only in select location can you even find them.

To get the real skinny, contact the wrangell biologist. He will send you a packet with all the info you need. Next step, get there and hunt.

I've been dreaming of this tag since my last failed archery hunt there. This time I'll have a boom stick in hand and mean buisness.

I plan on flying in - BTW Bighorse...We need to get to know eachother a little better...You may be seeing me quite often over there come April...

I drew de318 as well and plan on flying in also. It will be an adventure for sure.

I gave up on trying to arrow one. If I bust throug all that brush and climb all those cliffs and I see an Elk he's going to meet the buisness end of my boom stick.

I changed my approach. I'm going to trailer my boat to Wrangell and motor down there and hike into a lake with my packraft. Then hunt the alpine and if sucessful call in a plane. If not, well I'll hang my head and march through the brush to my boat. I don't need it to get up there, just to get an entire elk out. I think I'll just have the pilot drop the meat at my boat.

Thanks to the two kind forum members who have so graciously offered their info, and support for this hunt. I look forward to sharing a camp with you.

I have a buddy who shot one last year. He gave me the skinny on where he thinks I should go. Sounds like a lot of pain and torture!

Hunted with a buddy last year that shot his elk 200 feet up the trail, his luck not mine. So you just never know where your going to run into one or just how much pain and torture might be involved.

Hunted the South end 2010. Beautiful country and open enough on top to see them if they are there. My partner and I flew in to one of the lakes with access to the alpine. It wasn't difficult getting into the alpine and some trails are flagged. I think one of the keys is to get in early before hunting pressure takes its effect. There was one other hunting group on the lake we flew into. We got in a day or two late due to weather and work. They already had an elk and a dandy too. They accessed the alpine from the other end of the lake so as I said you have options depending on your mode of transportation. Saw lots of sign from earlier in September, enough to keep hope alive. We saw a few deer along the way and they were our last day backup plan. Luckily we saw a lone rag horn on the last huntable evening. We were about 1 1/2 to 2 miles away from camp. Made one pack job down to camp that evening finishing in the dark and then finished up the following morning before being picked up shortly after noon. Hard work and as usual a little bit of luck made it all happen. As mentioned before contact the area biologist there is a packet with info and harvest statistics with general locations that can steer you in the right direction. Good hunting to all.

Already booked our flight. We'll be on the island opening week!

Looks like I better fly in the week before season opens then.
    Alpine is awesome...

Might wanna do a week before that

I'm building a cabin in the alpine starting in July.....Suckas!!!!

That'd be the way to go. Get a nice lawn chair and just shoot one from your porch!!

Pacific just told me they were taking a couple guys to 1314 for opening. Must be you.

I can neither confirm no deny :P. I was told by someone else to book early though. For those other DE318 hunters, I'd be more than happy to coordinate.

Don't worry Beau .... those guys hiking up and over from those lakes will drive em right down your way ....

I'm going in with he mindset that my odds of success are fairly low. More so looking forward to the expierence of getting out and seeing a new area, and getting away from civilization for a while.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast