Thread: 15B Moose???

Default 15B Moose???

Hello All,

Congrats to all who drew their dream tags. No TMA tag for me this year....again!

Can anybody tell me about the 15B Moose tag hunt number DM534. I drew this tag my first time applying as a resident and I didn't do my homework as well as I should have as I was focusing on sheep and goat areas. I believe this area requires horses and etc to successfully hunt it. That is not a problem, I will sort that out if its required.

I was hoping somebody could fill me in on the quality of the hunt and what to expect in terms of the bulls in this area. Is this still a good trophy area or is this just a meat hunt? Would I be an idiot to not hunt this (I have a sheep hunt in Canada booked nearly the same time and vacation time is limited, although I could probably work something out with my employer if this hunt is worth it)

I feel like such an idiot for not knowing more about this tag. I'm just new to Alaska and haven't done my homework as well as I should have.

Thanks for any advise
    Last edited by idig4au; 02-17-2012 at 22:23. Reason: typo

Do you mean DM534,yes it is pretty much a horse hunt but the bench holds some amazing moose up there if you hit it hard,I havent heard much in the last several years so not sure if much has changed.Not sure where you live but you might want to give a call to the kenai bio at f&G they are usually pretty helpful down there
    Dave

BTW dont feel bad about not doing your homework it happens all the time, its a very doable hunt just start planning right away

A few years ago F&G added spike forks to the legal animal for that hunt ( I think they are off the table now though) the reasoning being that because of a post rut "subsistence" hunt in the refuge the number of trophy bulls had been severely reduced, and at least a guy had a chance at meat if he saw a small bull. I don't think the bench hunts are anything like what they used to be.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    A few years ago F&G added spike forks to the legal animal for that hunt ( I think they are off the table now though) the reasoning being that because of a post rut "subsistence" hunt in the refuge the number of trophy bulls had been severely reduced, and at least a guy had a chance at meat if he saw a small bull. I don't think the bench hunts are anything like what they used to be.
    good info to know for sure, its been a while for me that why I pointed him to the bio,what a shame there used to be some real monsters up there...
    dave

Thanks for the feedback. I will most definitely contact the bio up there on Tuesday and see what he has to say and then decide what to do from there.

Does anybody else have any other input for this area?

Jeff Selinger in soldotna. 262-9368

There are some guys that do pack horse trips up there every year and these outfits will be the ones to go with as they know the area well and they know the areas that will hold pockets of bulls.

There are still some nice bulls up there, can't shoot anything under 50 so it is not a meat hunt, never has been. It's been managed as a trophy moose area for a long time. There has been years when they allow S/F to be harvestable, but from most of the people I've talked to that hunt that area there aren't a lot of spike/forks up there, the bulls move up there as they get older. Go at the last part of the season will be your best bet, early September hunts with the few bulls there are will be tough to have much chance at success.

Brown bear, wolves, and lack of a large fire in a long time have hurt this areas moose numbers. Usually always a 60-70 incher comes off there every year, so you might be that lucky guy if you go.

There are big bulls up there. Not like years past but there are still some there. PLEASE try to use this permit, as it is really a drag when people waste a tag that others have been trying to get for years.

thanks for the feedback. Do you have any recommendations on who would be best to use? I would want a guide familar with the area and to improve my chances. I see there is a 'Laine's Guide Service' out of Kasilof has pack trips into GMU 15B for moose. I'll have to dig a little deeper on the internet as not much is showing up.

Quote Originally Posted by 33outdoorsman View Post
    There are some guys that do pack horse trips up there every year and these outfits will be the ones to go with as they know the area well and they know the areas that will hold pockets of bulls.

There are still some nice bulls up there, can't shoot anything under 50 so it is not a meat hunt, never has been. It's been managed as a trophy moose area for a long time. There has been years when they allow S/F to be harvestable, but from most of the people I've talked to that hunt that area there aren't a lot of spike/forks up there, the bulls move up there as they get older. Go at the last part of the season will be your best bet, early September hunts with the few bulls there are will be tough to have much chance at success.

Brown bear, wolves, and lack of a large fire in a long time have hurt this areas moose numbers. Usually always a 60-70 incher comes off there every year, so you might be that lucky guy if you go.

If you do your research I think you will find that the advice you are getting here is good.As I said in my earlier post its been several years since I have been there but 33 said it right this is a trophy area.What people seem to forget is that this area used to produce a lot of record class bulls as well as some double palmed bulls(there was a few on display around soldotna at one time)and as said lots of big bull still come out of there and the genectics are there.I would also contact the refuge down there as they should know who is operating in there.

I don't know any outfits personally idig4au, if you call the refuge like one person recommended, which is a good idea. They should be able to give you the outfits that do horse trips up there and they can probably tell you which ones have been doing it the longest. Go with the outfits that have lots of experience is my advice.

if bill bondeitti (sp?) is still outfitting he knows that area as well as anyone, probably has better than 2 decades on it....