Thread: 308 winchester

Default 308 winchester

Well been reading mainer threads on this 308 with 200gr bullets. Saw what he was getting I was scratching my head thinking either 1 he is jucing the numbers or he is legit. 2 he would never say what his groups were like so that lead me to believe he was getting the velocity he desired but a shotgun would probably get better groups.

So off to the range I went today with my wife model 700 in a 308 in tow. I loaded up 5 308 with 45.0gr of 2000-MR Fed 210, R-P brass and 200gr Speer Hot-cor. First shot over the chrono 2457, second 2430 something, last one 2440 something. And the gorups two bullets were almost touching and the other I shot at a different target. I do not plan on shooting 200gr slugs out of the 308 just wanted to see for myself. I plan on working on a load using a 165gr bullet (again my wife's rifle). Looks like 2000-MR or RL-17 will work just fine as well.

Nice work man!!! Those 200 grainers doing anything near 2500 like you are are packing some heat for a shorty case like that!!! I imagine you can easily fit more than that in that case too the speers are pretty short as well. Shorter than the NPs for sure. Can't complain about that accuracy at all either. Thanks for the range report.

No thank you I was about to give up on this rifle factory ammot shoots real well. tmy attempts with handloads were bad, I tried the proven RL-15 and I would have been better of with a shotgun. Until I saw Mainer and you talking about this 2000-MR and RL-17 so I had to give it a shot also switched to fed 210 primers as well. Been using cci 200.

I've only used the Feds thus far but they are working nicely. What length barrel is on that thing??

22 inch barrel just a remington 700 ADL stainless/synthetic.

I have a friend in the SW who acquired a can of Hodgdon CFE 223 powder. He attends the National Shot Show every year and am guessing thats where he got his hands on this powder before it was made available to the rest of us. He emailed me these numbers using this powder.

Hodgdon CFE 223-45 grains Swift 200 gr SP new Winchester brass yielded 2575 fps out of a 22" button rifled barrel.

46 grains of CFE 223 was his top load and was about 1/2 grain over what Hodgdon considers max. He broke 2600 fps with this load and said the pressure was fine in his rifle. 2600 fps from a 200 grainer in a 308 is smoking!

Now for my opinion on this wringing out the most velocity stuff. If you want 30-06 velocities then get a 30-06. A critter hit in the right spot with a bullet going 2450 will be just as dead as if hit with the same bullet going 2600 and your gun and components will thank you. I used to push the limits concerning reloading for all my guns....then I got old so I am not exempt from my own chastisement here..

I've had pretty good groups using 43.5 of Varget, CCI primers, Winchester brass, and 168 grain Berger VLD Hunting bullets. They fly at 2760 FPS. I started loading with Varget for my 308 several years back and I've had such good luck with it I never saw a reason to try anything else.
    MyTime

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    Now for my opinion on this wringing out the most velocity stuff. If you want 30-06 velocities then get a 30-06. A critter hit in the right spot with a bullet going 2450 will be just as dead as if hit with the same bullet going 2600 and your gun and components will thank you. I used to push the limits concerning reloading for all my guns....then I got old so I am not exempt from my own chastisement here..
    EKC I agree with your opinion on chasing speed but I think they have an honest reason here. If your gonna shoot a 200 from a 308 you will need to mash the gas some to make it stabilize well and these new powders make it safely possible. Itís not just dumping in more powder and walking that razor edge, with these powders itís done without getting carried away with the pressures and for a real purpose.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

My thoughts too.

The 308 case doesn't have much to work with, but it's efficient with what it has. We live in Alaska, if you'd like to shoot a 200 grain bullet with good velocity and little pressure it's not out of the question. My rifle wouldn't stabilize 200 grain accubonds, but it will stabilize the 200 grain partitions because of the better velocity (more room for powder), and a shorter bullet. I like light little short action rifles, and I feel the 308 brings many qualities to the table over larger rifles. The sheep hunters would probably be well served having a handful of these for the hike out. Another thing you might not have considered EKC, is that on certain hunts, the 200 grain bullet is the minimum allowed to legally hunt.

Your right Mainer, I hadn't considered bullet weight restrictions and the legalities there in.

My current favorite 308 is a commercial 98 mauser that i bought to rebore into 338 Fed or 358 Win. but the dad blame thing shoots so good that I am not going to screw it up. My mainstay deer rifle for 30 years was retired a couple of years ago because it was tired. It was a vintage Jack O 270 Win pushing Jacks favorite 130 grain pill along at 3,000 fps. Well my new found 308 is going to be it's replacement. It shoots a 125 grain Sierra to almost 3200 fps with it's favorite dose of 3031. I'd say it's tit for tat with the old 270.

Last night I found a jar on the back shelf that contains 69 .308 cal 200 grain BTSP's and I'm pretty sure they are Sierras. Since you have this 200 grain bullet thing rolling around in my head I am going to play with them. I have several boxes of the 308 Hornady light magnum ammo and I think I'll pull the bullets and weigh the charge in them and see if I can't figure out how much of that wiz bang powder to put under these 200 grainers. I'll let you know how it turns out.