Thread: some details of a great experience with a professional builder in the Valley

Default some details of a great experience with a professional builder in the Valley

It was a few years ago now, but I took a log cabin building class from Mike & Richard Musick - they are real pros, a father/son team.

AHFC paid them for their time to teach the class - I paid nothing; AHFC said it was to encourage a higher quality in log cabin builder's work, good enough quality that it might qualify for financing (the facilitation of which is AHFC's biz).

Dad's been doing it for 30+ years, son went to college and after graduation he taught Dad a couple very important things about Dad's biz, which did make Dad smarter, proud, and happy.

Class was 2 full days long. I didn't get so confident as to go build a cabin right off, but did learn enough to build a sauna or outhouse first, and then start on the house. They called the corner notches "501 shrink to fit", meaning that any gaps you might have get smaller over the years, not larger.

They also taught about the different process to make cold roofs, and hot roofs. And more.

If I was going a hire a guy to do some log cabin building, I'd look these guys up first. Very very experienced and smart about their biz.

Here is a story about the guys you are talking about http://juneauempire.com/stories/0530...84531015.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by DaleC View Post
    Here is a story about the guys you are talking about http://juneauempire.com/stories/0530...84531015.shtml
    Nice. Thanks.

In that article, when I read: ""Most of the old growth is just too big to use in a cabin," he said. "You just can't handle the wood.", I thought about another part of the class he covered: different contraptions you can build so that one guy can put big heavy logs in place. Many of them were ingenious.

All this posting about cabin building had me looking at pictures this morning. In the ADN picture gallery over a 150 cabin photo's. Some very nice homes.